FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific-461/)
-   -   trains & busses from Sydney to Gold Coast (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific/1454623-trains-busses-sydney-gold-coast.html)

Nadia Whiu Apr 2, 2013 4:40 am

trains & busses from Sydney to Gold Coast

I'm stuck in Sydney with only a My Multi 2, weekly, student, public transportation ticket and no money. Does anyone know if I can use it to catch a bus/train from here to the Gold Coast? Or will I have to buy a completely different ticket?

And if I can use it, where do I go? Which train/stations/bus? I'm only new to Sydney but if someone could help me find out how to get home I would be forever greatful. Please and thankyou!

Nugget_Oz Apr 2, 2013 8:57 am

You will have to buy a new ticket. A MyMulti 2 won't even take you out of the Sydney metropolitan area.

thadocta Apr 2, 2013 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz (Post 20522540)
You will have to buy a new ticket. A MyMulti 2 won't even take you out of the Sydney metropolitan area.

It will get you out of Sydney, providing you only use buses. Won't get you any firther north than about Newcastle though (or maybe Raymond Terrace) - that is assuming there is a network of local buses interconnecting between northern Sydney and the Mental Coast, and the Mental Coast and Newcastle.

Dave

Christopher Apr 2, 2013 2:35 pm

And where is the Mental Coast? Is this a sobriquet for the Central Coast?

thadocta Apr 2, 2013 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Christopher (Post 20524727)
And where is the Mental Coast? Is this a sobriquet for the Central Coast?

Well, they are all strange up there, so Mental Coast is quite approriate. It is between Sydney and Newcastle.

Dave

Christopher Apr 3, 2013 4:02 am

Originally Posted by thadocta (Post 20524854)
Well, they are all strange up there, so Mental Coast is quite approriate. It is between Sydney and Newcastle.

Dave

From the OP's point of view, it's important then to note that this is not far from Sydney. Gosford, the main centre on the Central Coast (that is, the Central Coast of NSW) is only about 75 kilometres (ca. 45 miles) north of the middle of Sydney.

:D! Apr 3, 2013 8:46 am

Originally Posted by thadocta (Post 20524191)
It will get you out of Sydney, providing you only use buses. Won't get you any firther north than about Newcastle though (or maybe Raymond Terrace) - that is assuming there is a network of local buses interconnecting between northern Sydney and the Mental Coast, and the Mental Coast and Newcastle.

Nope, the furthest north you can get on buses from Sydney CBD is to Mooney Mooney - and the final bus you need runs once a day from Berowra (twice on Saturdays apparently). If you manage to get from there to Kariong (possibly a good hike) then you should be able to make it up as far as Port Stephens by bus.

Going west you can get to Mt Victoria, and south to Kiama, relatively easily though you might as well just buy a MyMulti3 (which would let you travel further by bus to Jervis Bay on Tuesday and Friday) :D

Jorgen Apr 3, 2013 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by thadocta (Post 20524854)

Dave

Not as strange as the OP, who wants to catch a bus from Sydney to the Gold Coast using a MyMulti and no money. I'm not sure why we're talking about the Central Coast at all.

A Greyhound on this route seems to cost about $99 each way, which is about the same as flying on a regular day. If you plan ahead you can get a flight on Tiger for $39.95, which is almost undoubtedly the cheapest you're going to get, short of hitchhiking. Of course you'll need to get to Sydney Airport, and away from Coolangatta Airport once you get there.

:D! Apr 4, 2013 2:06 am

Originally Posted by Jorgen (Post 20533426)
Not as strange as the OP, who wants to catch a bus from Sydney to the Gold Coast using a MyMulti and no money. I'm not sure why we're talking about the Central Coast at all.

Well I did once see/overhear some touristy types at a suburban station looking for the Gold Coast on the Cityrail map, and the staff mentioned the area they were pointing at was the Central Coast, but they didn't quite get the point.

And another time someone asked me how they would get to Ayers Rock after taking the train to Lithgow. It's a bit like someone spending a week in New York who thinks of taking a day trip to Florida (by car).

Christopher Apr 4, 2013 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by :D! (Post 20533869)
Well I did once see/overhear some touristy types at a suburban station looking for the Gold Coast on the Cityrail map, and the staff mentioned the area they were pointing at was the Central Coast, but they didn't quite get the point.

And another time someone asked me how they would get to Ayers Rock after taking the train to Lithgow. It's a bit like someone spending a week in New York who thinks of taking a day trip to Florida (by car).

Oh, well, I was once stopped by a pair of tourists in the City of London, who asked me, "Can you tell me the way to Wales?" I replied, "Well, it's west of here," and before I could get another word in they riposted with, "Can we walk there from here?"

And you do hear stories of tourists in, say, Sydney, suggesting that they might get the train to go and see Aunt Myrtle in Perth for tea and be back in Sydney time for a late dinner at their hotel...

RadioGirl Apr 11, 2013 3:15 am

Originally Posted by Christopher (Post 20537652)
Oh, well, I was once stopped by a pair of tourists in the City of London, who asked me, "Can you tell me the way to Wales?" I replied, "Well, it's west of here," and before I could get another word in they riposted with, "Can we walk there from here?"

Stephen Wright: "Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." :D

On clueless tourists, my friend once saw a tour group at the Rocks oohing and ahhing over calendars with Australian landscapes, then pass them up after a member of the group pointed out that the calendars wouldn't work in the US "because they'd be off by a day." :eek: :rolleyes: :eek: :D :(