Wiki Posts
Search

Trying to find a hotel in Fiji in Dec 2013

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2013, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Elite, United Premier, AA Platinum, SPG Gold

Hi, going to Fiji in December 2013 and really would like to stay at a place that would earn me points/miles through the booking and the stay itself but really do not want to stay on the main island (i.e. Denaru). Ideally, I would like to stay in the Yasawa Islands or Mamanuca Islands but beggars can't be choosers here. Are there any recommendations for which hotels to stay at? Thanks!
Old Mar 22, 2013, 4:11 am

Programs: Qantas WP, LTG , Delta, SPG, Priority Club

I don't think there are any except on the main island. There you have plenty of choice:Hilton, SPG x 2, Accor, intercontinental, Radisson etc etc.

You need to decide if you want points or a more authentic Fiji experience. You won't get the latter at the chain hotels.

Check out Frommers online guide to Fiji. It's got good coverage of the hotels and resorts.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 5:44 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
What did you end up getting ? I'm searching hard as well might go with the spg properties for 8k a night spg
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Elite, United Premier, AA Platinum, SPG Gold
I ended up booking going against my desire to book a points earning hotel to get a true experience of Fiji. I booked Tokoriki in the Mamanuca Islands. I hear the outer islands are amazing but man is it expensive. Almost made me wish I had booked the Polynesian Islands instead!
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:38 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Shanye2233
What did you end up getting ? I'm searching hard as well might go with the spg properties for 8k a night spg
Each is different (surprisingly so), and Westin oceanfront rooms are quite nice (while the garden view rooms are not).
Old Sep 17, 2013, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by number_6
Each is different (surprisingly so), and Westin oceanfront rooms are quite nice (while the garden view rooms are not).
The stretch of beach behind all the hotels (or is that in front) is terrible. You won't get your 'traditional Fiji experience' swimming there. You, in fact, rarely see swimmers there.

Sometimes not getting points can be a good thing. Enjoy!
Old Sep 17, 2013, 7:12 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
The stretch of beach behind all the hotels (or is that in front) is terrible....!
But there is an excellent and mostly uninhabited beach on the island across the channel (Westin has free water taxi going over as desired, probably all the hotels do). Erosion has removed most of the sand from Denerau, though the Sheraton has a somewhat successful beach reconstruction program going, so might be better beaches by now. Deciding between Denerau and the outer islands is the great divide, quite a different experience. But Denerau is like Hawaii in Fiji Just cheaper and better by some measures if you stay in the right rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.