Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australia

AU Govt-->COVID-19 and the border

Links below may not work, due to Covid-19 changes

Visa Australian Government web siteBeware of non government 3rd party look-a-like web sites that charge more, often found with a browser web search. Only the Australian government web site/department issues visas. These other scam web sites just send your data to the Australian Government web site.

FT thread---> Free Australian ETA Visa application* Click to open the wiki
Processing Australian ETAs for free * to FT members (and up to 3 more friends & family) who have more than 80 posts, AND have at least been members for more than 12 months! Please read post 1. Thanks to Guy Betsy for his service to the FT community

Entry Australian government web site
FT thread --->Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration Click to open the wiki

Australia
Departure Australian government web site
Departing from Australia

From Departing from Australia > Departures SmartGates

Print Wikipost

Australia immigration (incl ETA visa) & customs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Often1
Do not call anywhere other than the specific help line provided by the Australian government. It took less than 30 seconds to find that number and it is staffed around the clock. Always better to take the simple approach.

https://www.australiavisagov.com/contact-us
Uh, that is not a government website mate. Very bad advice to send someone there.
MSPeconomist and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:59 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Uh, that is not a government website mate. Very bad advice to send someone there.
ya I knew that was not the place to go.

To finally close the loop: absolutely no issues entering Australia. In fact, it was insanely fast. Was off the plane at 7am, and walking into the Park Hyatt at 9:30am with our bags... and the room was already ready for checkin 👌🏻
CPMaverick and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Based on my experience, airlines use some VEVO-like service (API calls) to check your visa, so checking VEVO is the litmus test.

Airlines also have the ability to call some Australian service and get some stuff sorted out for you, such as moving a visa from an expired passport onto a new one.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Bumping this up just to confirm.

I've got a work trip back to Australia in a couple of weeks. My ETA from last year's work trip expires in November. This trip is in line with the previous ETA so no need for a different visa (attending a conference).

I do not need to get a new ETA correct? Likely obvious but I know with passports they are sometimes funky and won't let you in if expiry is near (even if it hasn't expired yet) so want to confirm since I can easily obtain and expense out a new one before my trip if that's required
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Duke787
I do not need to get a new ETA correct? Likely obvious but I know with passports they are sometimes funky and won't let you in if expiry is near (even if it hasn't expired yet) so want to confirm since I can easily obtain and expense out a new one before my trip if that's required
Presuming your existing ETA has not expired, and you are still using the same passport as when you obtained it, then you're good to go. If you want to confirm the details, you can verify your ETA is still valid on the https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ website.

Australia does not have any requirements for minimum passport validity (ie, the '6 month rule') - as long as your passport is valid on the day you enter, then you're good (although if it expires before you leave then you'll need to renew it, which can be an expensive and messy process depending on the country)
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by docbert
Presuming your existing ETA has not expired, and you are still using the same passport as when you obtained it, then you're good to go. If you want to confirm the details, you can verify your ETA is still valid on the https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ website.

Australia does not have any requirements for minimum passport validity (ie, the '6 month rule') - as long as your passport is valid on the day you enter, then you're good (although if it expires before you leave then you'll need to renew it, which can be an expensive and messy process depending on the country)
Okay cool yep just confirmed it's valid until 22 Nov 2018 -- and I enter (and leave) in October (and passport if valid until 2026) so sounds like I should be all set -- appreciate it
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver

Could I enter as a tourist if my ETA says the above?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by samwise6222

Could I enter as a tourist if my ETA says the above?
Yes, ETA visa type is actually the same for tourist and business. When it says 'business activity only' that just means you can't work. Being a tourist is fine.
samwise6222 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:17 am

number added automatically to my passport number when applying for an eVisitor visa

seems like a silly question but I am a little bit irritated - applied for an eVistor (subclass 651) visa on the immi.gov webpage which was granted immediately and checking the details in the grant letter that I received I noticed that my (9 digit) passport number showed an additional number at the end that I definitely did not enter on the webpage and which seems to have appeared and been added out of thin air.

Could have several reasons and I am only speculating here (e.g. that perhaps the system automatically extends the passport number to 10 digits as a standard by a assigning an additional random number or automatically adds a check sum number) – double-checking via the “VEVO” link that was also in the grant letter everything seems to be OK and my passport number only comes up with the 9 digits that I entered.

In any case seems weird to me - is anybody in the know about this? Am I worrying unnecessarily? (and apologies if that had been answered before but I missed it here in this thread or in the forum)
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: LH FTL
Originally Posted by noturbulence
seems like a silly question but I am a little bit irritated - applied for an eVistor (subclass 651) visa on the immi.gov webpage which was granted immediately and checking the details in the grant letter that I received I noticed that my (9 digit) passport number showed an additional number at the end that I definitely did not enter on the webpage and which seems to have appeared and been added out of thin air.

Could have several reasons and I am only speculating here (e.g. that perhaps the system automatically extends the passport number to 10 digits as a standard by a assigning an additional random number or automatically adds a check sum number) – double-checking via the “VEVO” link that was also in the grant letter everything seems to be OK and my passport number only comes up with the 9 digits that I entered.

In any case seems weird to me - is anybody in the know about this? Am I worrying unnecessarily? (and apologies if that had been answered before but I missed it here in this thread or in the forum)
I applied for the eVisitor visa a week or so ago, and I also have a 9 digit passport number, which appears in that exact format on the grant letter. So I would rule out that it is an automated extension by the system, but I have no idea, what else could be the reason.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by noturbulence

Are you travelling on a German passport? https://uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/German_passports.html
CPMaverick and noturbulence like this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
I don't usually travel using my middle name so I didn't imput my middle name on my ETA. I submitted it and instantly approved before I realized I probably should have included it. My middle name is on my passport. My questions is can I be processed for a ETA/VISA once I get to Australia if they have an issue with my middle name? Should I just pay the $15USD to do it again with the correct information? Thank you.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
I don't usually travel using my middle name so I didn't imput my middle name on my ETA. I submitted it and instantly approved before I realized I probably should have included it. My middle name is on my passport. My questions is can I be processed for a ETA/VISA once I get to Australia if they have an issue with my middle name? Should I just pay the $15USD to do it again with the correct information? Thank you.
I know people on US passports who have not known about the ETA requirement and arrived in Australia without it. (Dunno how/why the airline let them board, but they did.) It was no big deal; they just had to pay for the ETA with the Customs officer, taking an extra minute or two. So worst comes to worst, you do that; I personally wouldn't sweat the missing middle name as long as the passport number, expiry, issuing country, first name, and surname are right.
hawkfan7314 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by ashill
I know people on US passports who have not known about the ETA requirement and arrived in Australia without it. (Dunno how/why the airline let them board, but they did.) It was no big deal; they just had to pay for the ETA with the Customs officer, taking an extra minute or two. So worst comes to worst, you do that; I personally wouldn't sweat the missing middle name as long as the passport number, expiry, issuing country, first name, and surname are right.
Sounds good. Thank you.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ashill
I know people on US passports who have not known about the ETA requirement and arrived in Australia without it. (Dunno how/why the airline let them board, but they did.)
Most likely passengers that are technically in transit, but have decided to enter the country for one reason or another. Transit passengers do not need an ETA presuming they plan to stay airside, but if they decide to enter the country then they will require one.
CPMaverick likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.