Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australia

AU Govt-->COVID-19 and the border

Links below may not work, due to Covid-19 changes

Visa Australian Government web siteBeware of non government 3rd party look-a-like web sites that charge more, often found with a browser web search. Only the Australian government web site/department issues visas. These other scam web sites just send your data to the Australian Government web site.

FT thread---> Free Australian ETA Visa application* Click to open the wiki
Processing Australian ETAs for free * to FT members (and up to 3 more friends & family) who have more than 80 posts, AND have at least been members for more than 12 months! Please read post 1. Thanks to Guy Betsy for his service to the FT community

Entry Australian government web site
FT thread --->Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration Click to open the wiki

Australia
Departure Australian government web site
Departing from Australia

From Departing from Australia > Departures SmartGates

Print Wikipost

Australia immigration (incl ETA visa) & customs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
This is typical of visas everywhere. The timeline for exit is a fixed duration of time inside the country, the expiration only matters on entry.
It's not uncommon, but it's certainly not typical. Many countries require you to LEAVE the country before the visa expiry date. Others you only need to enter before the visa expires.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:30 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by docbert
It's not uncommon, but it's certainly not typical. Many countries require you to LEAVE the country before the visa expiry date. Others you only need to enter before the visa expires.
Obviously your experiences are different than mine. I've never had a visa expiry date that was based on exit date. They all have fixed timeframes after entry.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Obviously your experiences are different than mine. I've never had a visa expiry date that was based on exit date. They all have fixed timeframes after entry.
How about Australia, for starters? Whilst it's NOT the case for an ETA, it IS for a true visa (see https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/expired-visas)

Schengen and UK are two further examples, and there are many more.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:11 am

Yes I hold an Australian visa, in fact I've held many types.

You completely misunderstand the wording in the link that you provided.

"If your Australian visa expires while you are still in Australia, you will become an unlawful non-citizen."

This is expiry, for all the Australian visas I've held and including the ETA, is based on a fixed timeframe after entering the country (90 days, 6 months, etc). Exactly as I stated. It is NOT based on an expiry date listed on the visa itself. That date is only for entry. Once you enter that is irrelevant.

I once entered Australia 1 day before my visa entry expiration date (the only expiration date on a visa) and stayed for 4 months before I renewed it.

Is it the same for all Australian visas? I'm not sure. But all the types I've used in the past.

The UK is also the same IME. Not sure about EU.

I don't want to get in an argument as all that is relevant to a single person is the terms of their visa. All I know is my experience is that this is typical.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Jan 31, 2017 at 3:17 am
Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by suziemay
I have the same question above. Is there someone who's actually been in this situation before who has travelled respond with what they ended up doing?

My current visa expires January 31, I'm arriving in Australia on January 23 and leaving February 5. The language from the application (below) indicates that I should not apply for a new one, but anyone who has first-hand experience who can comment, please do!

You should only proceed if you intend to arrive in Australia after the current visa's Expiry Date or if you intend to apply for a different type of ETA.

If you choose to proceed, your credit card will be charged with AUD$20.00.

If you proceed, any ETA granted will come into effect once your current visa expires.

Click Next if you would like to replace your existing visa with the ETA you are applying for.

To me, this means if I apply for a new one, my current visa gets cancelled, but my new one would only be effective after January 31 which won't help me enter Australia on January 23.

I should add that I'm extra confused because I called the Australian High Commission, and the lady I spoke to said that I needed to have a valid ETA for the duration of my stay, but stopped short of telling me I should apply for a new one. She said "It's up to you, I cannot advise you what to do".

Help!
I did not apply for a new visa and can confirm that I was able to enter with my existing one that expired before I was scheduled to leave Australia Thanks everyone!
Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:38 am

I have personally stayed in Australia past my ETA expiry without issue, although it was just a few days. I have since returned on a PR visa and that experience definitely did not cause any red flags.

The ETA language is very clear. The expiry is only the ENTRY date. Every ETA entry has a fixed time you may spend in the country (three months).

This is typical of visas everywhere. The timeline for exit is a fixed duration of time inside the country, the expiration only matters on entry.

You will not have any problems entering Australia. The only potential issue is if a US airline agent doesn't understand the rules and won't let you board. If you want to rule that out, just buy a new ETA. Personally I wouldn't, as the rules are black and white.
I was actually going to go that route, until the language on the final page of the submission threw me off (see my original post). I ended up printing whatever "proof" I could in case I ran into that issue with the airlines.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 6:05 pm

has anyone got a contact number to ring from outside Australia. ?
Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From a new thread in info forum (to be locked)
Originally Posted by 007jane
Hi, I am new on here and i need Help please.
applied for visitor visa for Australia in Nov, sent extra info in December and I'm still waiting on visa. Flights are booked and I'm getting no reply to emails or querys. Does anyone have a contact number that I can ring from outside Australia?
Originally Posted by 007jane
has anyone got a contact number to ring from outside Australia?
Very unwise to book flights before getting a visa or being 100% certain will get a visa.

From the link above
National Office

​​​Our National Office is the policy headquarters of the department.

If you would like to make a client enquiry or submit an application in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) please contact the Canberra Visa and Citizenship​ Office.

Street address
6 Chan Street
Belconnen ACT 2617

Postal address
PO Box 25
Belconnen ACT 2616

Telephone 02 6264 1111 - Switchboard
Fax 02 6225 6970

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 14, 2017 at 7:42 pm
Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:33 pm

Rip-off site

Originally Posted by ovenbird
I feel so stupid.

Before I found this site I applied for an ETA to visit Australia in July. I am a US citizen and applied at Visa Travel Australia (visatravelaustralia.com) which I presumed was the Australian government website. I obviously was not paying attention. I received an approval letter but cannot find an ETA number. Plus I was charged double the correct rate. I feel really stupid...did I get scammed or just overcharged?

I guess I should apply through the official government channels?

http://australia-eta-visa.com/?AD=GS...FdaIaAodzcwKiQ

Another rip-off site for ETA application which charges USD 64 per application. I have to admit it was my fault that I never go through the T&C. There is no amount quote when you click for payment or when you were asked to key-in your credit card details. I hope this would help to warn others not to make the same mistake.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: UA 1K
Australian visa not showing in VEVO

I’ll keep it as brief as I can:

I applied for ETC, it was granted, it shows in VEVO.

Partner denied ETC for checking prior conviction. Submitted documentation, granted 600 visa within a week about a month ago. His is not showing up in VEVO (says can not match passport info to a visa). Checked in online for travel tonight, mine went fine his says proceed to airport for checkin.

Anything I need to worry about? Anyone I need to or can call? Will airport staff be able to handle this?

thanks. I’m a worrier.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:28 am

I haven't used VEVO but my understanding is it is how you check your visa status with the Australian government. Is that right?

If the official government website can't find your visa, yes, you have reason to worry. The airport staff can't be counted on to fix anything. I would call the immigration office in Australia ASAP. You might not be able to find any working numbers as it will be the weekend. Try to check on your visa another way, if possible.

If you can't get anywhere, then just print out a hard copy of your 600 visa details. Don't bother the check-in agent with any questions about VEVO or imply there are any problems with your visa. Just show them the paperwork. That may be enough to check-in. Then once you arrive to Australia, hopefully you can sort out any technical problems directly. I suspect there is a simple error that can be sorted out in Australia, but your greatest issue would be denied boarding. So just be prepared to show your visa details to the check-in agent.
nancypants and Sanaa Bold like this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do not call anywhere other than the specific help line provided by the Australian government. It took less than 30 seconds to find that number and it is staffed around the clock. Always better to take the simple approach.

https://www.australiavisagov.com/contact-us
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Often1
Do not call anywhere other than the specific help line provided by the Australian government. It took less than 30 seconds to find that number and it is staffed around the clock. Always better to take the simple approach.

https://www.australiavisagov.com/contact-us
Problem is the link you have provided is NOT a government site (these end with .gov.au) - it's some dodgy 3rd party based out of India I would guess by the wording and company name. Much like the front sites which will do a US ESTA application for $50 instead of the $14 it actually costs. The first paragraph on the about us page has this to say (underlining mine):
Our website is a commercial website, one of the world’s leading provider of online services for global customers. We are not the Embassy/Consulate/High Commission or the representative of the Government of Australia.

OP: Do not call the number on this site. Unfortunately there is (on purpose) no easy way to contact Home Affairs (which Immigration is part of). You will have to hope it's sorted at the airport. Not what you want to hear, but that's the reality.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks all I know you were all very concerned with how this turned out.

Basically I didn’t do anything, but we did arrive at the airport 4 hours early. I didn’t bother checkin agents (united) with any backstory just tried checking in. Mine was fine my partner of course has problems.

Agent took the print out of the visa and checked all the information and said something like “that’s weird the name, birthday, passport all match but I can’t get you checked in”. Then he got on the phone. After like 15 minutes of him not really saying anything and us standing off to the side I finally asked him “are you on hold or what are we doing?” He said that he was on hold while “they” called the Australian embassy. About 5 minutes after that he said “ok so we are good?” And hung up the phone. Pressed like 18,000 buttons and then handed us the boarding pass.

No idea. It was a little worrisome there for a bit. But it all worked. I write this from somewhere over the South Pacific.

Will report back if any issues upon landing.
MSPeconomist and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
About 5 minutes after that he said “ok so we are good?” And hung up the phone. Pressed like 18,000 buttons and then handed us the boarding pass.

No idea. It was a little worrisome there for a bit. But it all worked. I write this from somewhere over the South Pacific.

Will report back if any issues upon landing.
Good stuff. Thanks for the update - figured that would be the process!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.