Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australia

AU Govt-->COVID-19 and the border

Links below may not work, due to Covid-19 changes

Visa Australian Government web siteBeware of non government 3rd party look-a-like web sites that charge more, often found with a browser web search. Only the Australian government web site/department issues visas. These other scam web sites just send your data to the Australian Government web site.

FT thread---> Free Australian ETA Visa application* Click to open the wiki
Processing Australian ETAs for free * to FT members (and up to 3 more friends & family) who have more than 80 posts, AND have at least been members for more than 12 months! Please read post 1. Thanks to Guy Betsy for his service to the FT community

Entry Australian government web site
FT thread --->Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration Click to open the wiki

Australia
Departure Australian government web site
Departing from Australia

From Departing from Australia > Departures SmartGates

Print Wikipost

Australia immigration (incl ETA visa) & customs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Nice one, an_asker!!!
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA-1K >1MM ,QF Platinum,HH-Diamond,Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by mandolino
The problem wouldn't be entering Australia, but getting checked in in the first place, before you leave USA.

I've entered Australia as a citizen without passport (Immigration confiscated it but told me they could not deny me entry)

That is OK as long as you don't want to stay more than 90 days at any time. It's also possible that they can change the fee at any time - quite possible given the current volatile security environment.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:48 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Save yourself endless grief and trouble, get these 4 Aussie passports ... worst case your ETA is cancelled and you are denied check-in for your flight, forfeit the fare and have to rebuy the airline ticket. Unlikely but possible (for example if you show up on the wrong list). Very worst case you are flagged for special inspection by US and get to spend 4 hours each time going through US immigration and customs. Not theoretical, it can and does happen. Having unusual documents is simply not worthwhile in today's world of big data and computers doing lots of correlations. Your choice, but make it an informed one.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 5:00 am
Suspended

Australian ETA Visa Question

I went to Australia earlier this year and got an ETA visa online which was good for one year starting on my arrival on May 27th.

I recently found a great deal to fly to Australia next year. I would arrive on May 22nd and I would stay for 3 weeks.

I thought I could just apply for a new visa but apparently you have to wait for your previous visa to expire before you can apply for a new one.

Can I just arrive in Australia with my current visa? Will I have any problems since the dates overlap?

Hopefully this makes sense.

Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
The ETA visa allows you to enter Australia, and after entering you have a maximum of three months in Australia regardless of the expiration date of the ETA visa.

So your current visa is fine for a 3 weeks trip arriving on May 22nd.

That said, I believe you can apply for a new ETA that will override the previous one. Were you unable to do this?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
The ETA visa allows you to enter Australia, and after entering you have a maximum of three months in Australia regardless of the expiration date of the ETA visa.

So your current visa is fine for a 3 weeks trip arriving on May 22nd.

That said, I believe you can apply for a new ETA that will override the previous one. Were you unable to do this?
Thanks. I haven't tried applying for a new one yet. Will give that a try just in case.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:46 am

Lightbulb [Q] Australia Customs and Electronic devices

Hi everyone,

I will be flying to Sydney on a student visa on 7th of February. I have a couple of questions regarding the customs.
I was going through the Australian government's website with respect to what I can carry duty free, and it states that
  • Personal goods are free from duty and tax if they are owned and used by you overseas for 12 months or more.
  • If you are aged 18 years or over, you can bring up to A$900 worth of general goods into Australia duty-free. General goods include gifts, souvenirs, cameras, electronic equipment, leather goods, perfume concentrates, jewellery, watches and sporting equipment.

Now the issue is, I recently just purchased a new phone for use in Australia which will hardly be used by me for less than a month in my own country. Also the value of the phone goes above A$900. So, will I be charged custom duties on it?

One more doubt I have is that I have a friend whom I will be meeting after 2 years and I wish to carry a small gift for him, say some A$40 headphones for example.
Will I be charged duties for carrying it in an unopened box?

Thank you.

Last edited by eltonx17; Jan 10, 2017 at 12:48 am Reason: Title changed from Sydney to Australia
Old Jan 10, 2017, 3:59 am

Both of them are fine and neither should be mentioned on the customs form.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:22 am

Smile

Originally Posted by IMOA
Both of them are fine and neither should be mentioned on the customs form.
Thank you very much!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:43 pm

I have the same question above. Is there someone who's actually been in this situation before who has travelled respond with what they ended up doing?

My current visa expires January 31, I'm arriving in Australia on January 23 and leaving February 5. The language from the application (below) indicates that I should not apply for a new one, but anyone who has first-hand experience who can comment, please do!

You should only proceed if you intend to arrive in Australia after the current visa's Expiry Date or if you intend to apply for a different type of ETA.

If you choose to proceed, your credit card will be charged with AUD$20.00.

If you proceed, any ETA granted will come into effect once your current visa expires.

Click Next if you would like to replace your existing visa with the ETA you are applying for.

To me, this means if I apply for a new one, my current visa gets cancelled, but my new one would only be effective after January 31 which won't help me enter Australia on January 23.

I should add that I'm extra confused because I called the Australian High Commission, and the lady I spoke to said that I needed to have a valid ETA for the duration of my stay, but stopped short of telling me I should apply for a new one. She said "It's up to you, I cannot advise you what to do".

Help!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:26 pm

From the ETA website:

An Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) provides authorisation to travel to and enter Australia and is electronically linked to your passport.
I would then assume that this would mean that you only need it for entry. Same thing applies for the USA I think.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: AA
I just applied for an ETA for an upcoming trip and got a message stating it needed additional review and an email with the same message. I checked the site back a few hours later and it said I had a valid ETA with the various terms, but I never did get a confirmation email. Is this the norm?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by theshaun
I just applied for an ETA for an upcoming trip and got a message stating it needed additional review and an email with the same message. I checked the site back a few hours later and it said I had a valid ETA with the various terms, but I never did get a confirmation email. Is this the norm?
Seems obvious but maybe check the spam folder? Also, they may come through in batches (wouldn't surprise me), although I haven't had to use the service before.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 4:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Here is the text of my ETA, bolding and underline mine.

Your ETA has been recorded on our database. It will be available for checking by your airline at check-in and for Australia immigration authorities on your arrival in Australia. You do not need a visa label in your passport.
XXXXX, XX Passport XXXX, ETA Ref XXXX
Your ETA has been recorded with the following data and conditions:

Reference Number: XXXXXXX

Expiry Date: 23 Dec 2017

Period of Stay: 3 Months

Number of Entries: Multiple

Visa Condition: NO WORK - BUSINESS VISITOR ACTIVITY ONLY

Passport Number: XXX

Family Name: XXXX

Given Names: XXXXX

Nationality of Passport Holder: X

The Expiry Date of the ETA is the latest date on which you may enter Australia with this ETA.

The Period of Stay is the longest time you may spend in Australia on any one visit.

The Number of Entries is the number of times you may enter Australia with this ETA.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 2:01 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I have personally stayed in Australia past my ETA expiry without issue, although it was just a few days. I have since returned on a PR visa and that experience definitely did not cause any red flags.

The ETA language is very clear. The expiry is only the ENTRY date. Every ETA entry has a fixed time you may spend in the country (three months).

This is typical of visas everywhere. The timeline for exit is a fixed duration of time inside the country, the expiration only matters on entry.

You will not have any problems entering Australia. The only potential issue is if a US airline agent doesn't understand the rules and won't let you board. If you want to rule that out, just buy a new ETA. Personally I wouldn't, as the rules are black and white.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.