Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australia

AU Govt-->COVID-19 and the border

Links below may not work, due to Covid-19 changes

Visa Australian Government web siteBeware of non government 3rd party look-a-like web sites that charge more, often found with a browser web search. Only the Australian government web site/department issues visas. These other scam web sites just send your data to the Australian Government web site.

FT thread---> Free Australian ETA Visa application* Click to open the wiki
Processing Australian ETAs for free * to FT members (and up to 3 more friends & family) who have more than 80 posts, AND have at least been members for more than 12 months! Please read post 1. Thanks to Guy Betsy for his service to the FT community

Entry Australian government web site
FT thread --->Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration Click to open the wiki

Australia
Departure Australian government web site
Departing from Australia

From Departing from Australia > Departures SmartGates

Print Wikipost

Australia immigration (incl ETA visa) & customs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2015, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Presume you paid by CC, so dispute the charge as fraudulent.
2. Deal with your CC issuer's anti-fraud department separately. They may want to replace your card.
3. Notify the State Dept that you've provided your passport details to what appears to be a fraudulent website.

These guys could run this scam just to make money, collect personal information or both.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA
Thanks for the helpful advice.

I did get an email back from the visa website but can't check online if I really did get an ETA. I called the Australian consulate/embassy Friday but they were already closed. I'll call again Monday to see if they can check for me.

I had already disputed the credit card charge. If there is no ETA, I'll apply for one via the government site and contact the US State Dept. If I actually did get an ETA I'll let the charge go through.

I made a mistake in my original post...the correct name of the company is Travel Visa Australia and the url is travelvisaaustralia.com

I think I had my first anxiety attack ever last Friday when I thought my passport data might have been compromised. Calmer heads are prevailing.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Shady website.
Not only does it overcharge for ETAs, but it also lists a number of European countries as ETA countries when in fact citizens of those countries can get a free eVisitor visa.

Last edited by UA1K_no_more; Mar 15, 2015 at 4:02 pm
Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I suggest you look at the sticky thread at the top of this forum:

Free Australian ETA Visa application*

Pass the favour on is your cost.

I'd do that, and then dispute the credit card charge

Last edited by serfty; Mar 17, 2015 at 1:49 am Reason: oops - That is closed for the time being - at least until April
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty
I suggest you look at the sticky thread at the top of this forum:

Free Australian ETA Visa application*

Pass the favour on is your cost.

I'd do that, and then dispute the credit card charge

Last edited by serfty; Today at 6:49 pm. Reason: oops - That is closed for the time being - at least until April
Nor does the OP qualify (by post count)
** Please note: That ETAs will be only processed to FT members with more than 80 posts, AND have at least been members for more than 6 months!
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Nor does the OP qualify (by post count)
I dunno, 'tis easy enough to knock up another 68 meaningful posts over the next two weeks, the other criteria is easily covered being an 8 year member.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by ovenbird
I feel so stupid.

Before I found this site I applied for an ETA to visit Australia in July. I am a US citizen and applied at Visa Travel Australia (visatravelaustralia.com) which I presumed was the Australian government website. I obviously was not paying attention. I received an approval letter but cannot find an ETA number. Plus I was charged double the correct rate. I feel really stupid...did I get scammed or just overcharged?

I guess I should apply through the official government channels?
AA will process the ETA at the counter provided you're not on some no-fly list or the like. It's around $20-$30 the last time I had to travel with someone who needed one.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by thadocta
Without addressing the rest of your question, why would you assume that a website which did not have a .gov.au address was an official Australian government website?
The site for booking US Visa appointments is http://www.ustraveldocs.com/

Not all "government" style sites have .gov.* URLs...

Originally Posted by Often1
These guys could run this scam just to make money, collect personal information or both.
This site has been around for year, and it appears to be (for at least some sense of the word) legitimate. Of course, the best option will always be to go to the official site, but technically there's nothing wrong with using a third party site, just as there's nothing wrong with having a travel agency process a ETA for you (which also potentially includes additional costs)
Old Apr 17, 2015, 3:03 pm

Finally found out I do have an ETA, albeit an expensive one in terms of time, worry and money. Could not get either AA or Qantas to verify I had one and was left on hold with the visa number for the Aussie embassy too many times and for too long. So I went to the government website and tried to apply for another ETA and was notified I already had one! If only I had tried that first...

Thanks to everyone for the help.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by ovenbird
Finally found out I do have an ETA, albeit an expensive one in terms of time, worry and money. Could not get either AA or Qantas to verify I had one and was left on hold with the visa number for the Aussie embassy too many times and for too long. So I went to the government website and tried to apply for another ETA and was notified I already had one! If only I had tried that first...

Thanks to everyone for the help.
You could have just PM'd me nicely and I might have been able to do it for you for a cup of coffee !

Your ETA is tied to your passport number , FYI.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by docbert
The site for booking US Visa appointments is http://www.ustraveldocs.com/

Not all "government" style sites have .gov.* URLs...
That site looks so dodgy it's not funny........

Let's try this official government website to apply for a US Visa....
http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english.html
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by kcupp95
That site looks so dodgy it's not funny........

Let's try this official government website to apply for a US Visa....
http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english.html
The US State Department do not issue visas, and if you work that that site it'll eventually tell you to go to the website of your nearest US Consulate, such as http://canberra.usembassy.gov/

From there you can go to the Non-immigrant visa page, such as http://canberra.usembassy.gov/nonimmigrant-visas.html

Which then points you to the official site for booking appointments - http://www.ustraveldocs.com/

So yeah, that site is very much official - regardless of how "dodgy" you might think it looks.

(The URL's above are obviously for Australia, but the same site is used for most of the world)
Old Apr 20, 2015, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
The US State Department do not issue visas, and if you work that that site it'll eventually tell you to go to the website of your nearest US Consulate, such as http://canberra.usembassy.gov/

From there you can go to the Non-immigrant visa page, such as http://canberra.usembassy.gov/nonimmigrant-visas.html

Which then points you to the official site for booking appointments - http://www.ustraveldocs.com/

So yeah, that site is very much official - regardless of how "dodgy" you might think it looks.

(The URL's above are obviously for Australia, but the same site is used for most of the world)
Still looks very unofficial to me. I wouldn't be giving them any details without checking first.

Still doesn't change the fact the visa website for Australia is an official government website and anything else are just third party websites
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:19 am

Guy Betsy, thanks. I did finally see your sticky post and thought about seeking your guidance. But I didn't want to bother you and have you waste time with my foolish error. Next time I travel to Australia I will definitely come to you straight away and send a donation to a charity. Brilliant idea and very special on your part.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 12:30 pm

eVisitor (type 651) still being assessed for more than 2 weeks

Hi everybody,

I booked ARN-TYO-SYD-PER-CPH C class ticket in recent QR global sale. The date of my planned arrival is November 12. I applied for eVisitor (class 651) on October 26, expecting it to be a smooth ride finalized in matter of hours. I could not have been more wrong! I enclosed all requested information, but my application remains stuck in ""Assessment in progress" stage. I have not heard back from Hobart Global Processing Centre since I provided additional information. And they have not bothered to respond to any of my e-mail queries. Does anybody know how can I contact them over the phone?

Contacting European Service Centre in London was a bad joke - they suggest I sit and wait even though it is now less than 48 hours to departure.

As a last minute scenario, I am thinking about booking an award flight from SYD to either NZ or one of the Pacific Islands. I will make sure that such flight would leave within 8 hours of my landing in SYD. Would I be allowed on SYD-bound plane under this scenario even if my eVisitor application is not processed in time? This would at least buy me few more days to have my application finalized so I can then return to SYD to continue with SYD-PER domestic leg on VA.

Are there any other options I should consider?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.