FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific-461/)
-   -   Suggesstions for Fiji (Denarau) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific/1423357-suggesstions-fiji-denarau.html)

Kris Rao Jan 2, 2013 4:34 pm

Suggesstions for Fiji (Denarau)

Hi All,

Just requesting well-travelled folks of this forum to suggest things to do in Fiji. We are flying in late March and will be staying at Hilton Denaru for five days.

I'd like suggestions for cultural activities, nature walks, Fijian experience, nice restaurants with good local food and ambience.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kris

number_6 Jan 3, 2013 4:24 pm

Denerau is the wrong location for all of those activities :)
I stayed at the Westin Denerau and loved it, but Denerau is a man-made island (reclaimed land) with a completely artificial environment, so there is no nature walks (except on the golf course), cultural activities consist of nightly fire dances at the resort, and the resort food is all imported from Australia for the most part. Still you get the friendly Fijian staff and it is great ... but for the things you list, anywhere in Fiji outside of Denerau is better. There isn't even a decent beach at Denerau due to a current which washes away the sand and makes the water murky (probably the only part of Fiji that doesn't have a great beach).

Kris Rao Jan 4, 2013 12:00 am

Thanks number_6,

are there day ferries that we can take to other islands?

lavag Jan 4, 2013 5:42 pm

It would be a bit of a trek from Denerau, but the Sigatoka River Vally is very cool and gives a nice feel for the interior.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...Viti_Levu.html

lavag Jan 4, 2013 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kris Rao (Post 19972082)
Thanks number_6,

are there day ferries that we can take to other islands?

There are cruises and private transfers, but no ferries really.

cavemanzk Jan 4, 2013 7:27 pm

Totally agree about all the other comments on Denerau, I personally wouldn't stay there.

If you accommodation is changeable I would recommend staying on a inner island such as MaloloLailai, I have stayed on this island many of time and would totally recommend it over Denerau.

ricski64 Jan 4, 2013 8:56 pm

Some 14 years ago my family and I spent 6 weeks at Westin Denerau (then, I believe it was Sheraton) and used it as a "home" base. While we really enjoyed the staff, the golf and shopping in Nadi.
Our most memorable experiences were on other islands. Tavunni Is where you can stand on the international date line (I alone saw the real start of the new millennium on Jan. 1 1999, although as is the reality, it was a cloudy sunrise :mad:).
Other memories were to the Yassawa Is. on a 5 day cruise with Captain Cook Lines that take you to the most incredible islands and snorkel/dive areas that Fiji has to offer (remember "Cast Away" with Tom Hanks, filmed up there ;))

The real beauty of Fiji is not really the islands, it can be found in the true Fijians you encounter.

fijaircan Jan 5, 2013 11:40 am

Hi Kris, you should consider staying at one of the "small" island resorts (even for a couple of days) - places like Castaway, Malolo, Tokoriki, Matamanoa, Musket Cove etc - all very easy to get to from the Marina (approx 1 hour boat ride). The Marina (Port) is a few minute taxi ride or 15 minute walk from the Hilton.

If you had more time, you could go out to resorts on the other island (Vanua Levu) - resorts like Namale, Cousteau etc - these are some excellent resorts but it will require you to fly from Nadi to Savu Savu.

Have fun in Fiji!

JDiver Jan 5, 2013 10:23 pm

Bula!

If you are staying in Denarau, you can go to Sigatoka, do highlands treks including Sigatoka (seen-guh-TOKE-uh), you can kayak the Navua or Wainikoroiluva (just call it 'luva - everyone will understand) rivers, visit First Landing for lunch and views (where the first Fijians arrived) and visit the orchid plantation at Garden of the Sleeping Giant the same day as well as a Fijian (as opposed to Indo-Fijian) village. (Rivers Fiji and other suppliers offer the kayak trips). None of it is really far.

And though I can't recall the name, there's a small steakhouse near the water (not beach / Pacific, but toward the marina) where I have had pretty good steaks - maybe, iirc, the cattle are descended from the boat that wrecked en route from Argentina to Australia with breeder cattle, which the people kept along with the drover, but ate the sailors? (Yes, the Fijians practiced cannibalism and some are proud of it - they are still warriors and can be found in places where there are wars, e.g wearing blue helmets for the U.N. in some lead-filled parts of the Middle East.)

You can also visit Nadi (pronounced NAHN-dee) and see a very few sights - the colorful Sri Siva Subramaniya temple, check for souvenirs of all kinds at Jack's (some very nice ones - "Jack" is actually Mr. Mr. Jekishan Khatri). You can get your VAT claoim forms for the airport, and the wood items are treated - no US or Australian customs hassles for wooden items like war clubs or that huge tanoa you can use for mixing up your own kava at home. ;)

I always have dinner in Nadi (sometimes check in very early for my flight at the airport and go back to town) at the very nice Chefs The Restaurant (this is NOT the same as Chef's The Edge, and they are both owned by the same person who owns Jack's and are both nearby) for dinner.

The times I have been there the food and service have been excellent, and once or twice when other diver friends and I have dined the friendly staff lined up and sang "Isa Lei" the Fijian farewell song) to us.

Note: the Fijian sun is very strong - use some of the best sunscreen, perhaps SPF 50, and apply it several times. And don't forget some "seqa la leqa" time (SENN-guh lah LENN-guh = take it easy).

number_6 Jan 6, 2013 1:06 am

Originally Posted by ricski64 (Post 19978583)
...The real beauty of Fiji is not really the islands, it can be found in the true Fijians you encounter.

Very true, and this aspect made my stay at Denerau much more pleasant and authentic, adding a touch of reality to an otherwise sterile environment.

On the plus side, some of the best food in Fiji is on Denerau, for example the japanese restaurant by the tennis courts in the Westin is superb -- as good as you can find anywhere in the world. Some great attention to detail, such as serving sushi in an individual glass igloo dome so it stays cool on your plate, perfect for the hot Fiji cliimate. Flying Fish (branch of the famous Sydney restaurant) is also good.

fijaircan Jan 6, 2013 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by number_6 (Post 19985332)

On the plus side, some of the best food in Fiji is on Denerau, for example the japanese restaurant by the tennis courts in the Westin is superb -- as good as you can find anywhere in the world. Some great attention to detail, such as serving sushi in an individual glass igloo dome so it stays cool on your plate, perfect for the hot Fiji cliimate. Flying Fish (branch of the famous Sydney restaurant) is also good.

I totally vouch for that restaurant - I think it's called Hamacho and it's part of the Westin Hotel - great food every time we have been there.