Prepaid SIM for Data Tethering

Old Dec 8, 2012, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA & DL Gold
Prepaid SIM for Data Tethering

Hey,

I'll be travelling to Australia next month for ~10 days and was looking around for the best prepaid cell phone provider... Ideally I'd like a prepaid plan with a high data allowance so I can use my phone as a wifi hotspot.

From my trip earlier this year, I learned that unlimited data is basically unheard of and hotels charge obscene amounts for data.

Anyone have any suggestions? I have a prepaid Virgin Mobile SIM, but they only offer 1-2GBs data blocks. For 10 days I would probably need 4-5GBs, I guess I could just recharge it.

Thanks

Dan
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
http://www.woolworthsmobile.com.au/get-massive-5gb-data is a good deal for a lot of data.

Now tethering is against the T&C's of this plan I believe but unless you have an iPhone (which does allow carriers to block tethering) by the time they realised (if they do at all) you would be long since done with it
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, MB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I had a question about this too. I'm going in February for 2 weeks, and will be visiting Sydney, GOR, Melbourne, and Perth/Margaret River. So basically, it looks like the $29 plan gets you 5GB data (I would use it mostly for maps and restaurant stuff) and $250 credit on the Optus network for talk and text? Plus from what I can see, I can call back to the US for .98 cents/min? Sounds like a pretty good deal.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by NickTN01
I had a question about this too. I'm going in February for 2 weeks, and will be visiting Sydney, GOR, Melbourne, and Perth/Margaret River. So basically, it looks like the $29 plan gets you 5GB data (I would use it mostly for maps and restaurant stuff) and $250 credit on the Optus network for talk and text? Plus from what I can see, I can call back to the US for .98 cents/min? Sounds like a pretty good deal.
And those international calls come out of that credit from my read of it.. I would also recommend getting onto Viber (and people you like to call onto it as well)
http://viber.com/
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:30 pm

dupe.

Last edited by simong; Dec 12, 2012 at 2:31 pm Reason: dupe
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, MB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I am familiar with Viber. My wife works with a non-profit who does a lot of traveling to Africa and Haiti. Will definitely use that when we can. We'll be leaving two kids with the grandparents. We are staying at the Park Hyatt in The Rocks, so I guess we'll take a stroll to the CBD to hit up a Woolworths when we arrive.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 2:23 am

Cool this is closest one:

Woolworths - SYDNEY METCENTRE
CNR GEORGE & MARGARET STREETS
SYDNEY 2000

A little bit hidden, its in the basement of the Metcentre IIRC
Old Dec 13, 2012, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by NickTN01
I wouldn't count on the Optus network being too good around Margaret River. I'll be there next week so I'll try and update the thread on Optus' coverage down there.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:42 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Vodafone & Optus both block tethering from your iPhone
Old Dec 14, 2012, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Vodafone & Optus both block tethering from your iPhone
Other phones are available though.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by simong
Cool this is closest one:

Woolworths - SYDNEY METCENTRE
CNR GEORGE & MARGARET STREETS
SYDNEY 2000

A little bit hidden, its in the basement of the Metcentre IIRC
It's also only open limited hours (well, compared to most Woolworths), and closed on Sundays. The next nearest would be George and Park which is open every day and much longer hours.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 1:07 am

Used amaysim when I was in AU.
https://www.amaysim.com.au/mobile-plans.html
All their mobile plans allow for hotspot function on iPhone. The unlimited plan can be purchased.
If need more data, can recharge more data into the mobile plan.
http://www.amaysim.com.au/mobile-pla...broadband.html
The other option is Optus $2 dollar days plan which offer unlimited voice and data.
Hotspot on iPhone was disable. However, hotspot was reported to be working on Android phone, e.g. SGS3.
https://www.optus.com.au/shop/prepaidmobile/2dollardays
Old Feb 3, 2013, 5:21 am

i use amaysim everyday and it is awesome and provides the best value for money. i havent seen anything that comes close to what they offer. and it runs on the optus network

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.