Wiki Posts
Search

Where to go in the Whitsunday Islands?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2012, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
Where to go in the Whitsunday Islands?

Hello. I have a business trip coming up in Canberra, Australia, and was thinking about staying for about a week and heading up to the Whitsunday islands. With so many options in the area, I'm kind of overwhelmed and don't know where to start. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Old Dec 8, 2012, 5:45 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Searching FT will show many past threads on this topic. Great diversity in what is available, but if you look at Heron and Lizard (cheaper, more pristine and eco-centric) and Hayman and Hamilton Islands then you will get the range of choices. Cost varies from $100 to $1000+ per day so quite a range. Also big tradeoffs in ease and cost of travel (Hamilton has airport and easy access, while some other islands may cost $1000 for a helicopter transfer or take a day for boat transfer). All depends on your time and money tradeoff, and whether you are looking for nature vs. man-made attractions.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
Thank you!
Old Dec 16, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
I would say don't. The Whitsunday islands are well inside the reef and don't have particularly good snorkelling / etc.

I would rather go to Heron, Lizard, Green or Fiztroy islands - all outside the Whitsundays, but all directly on the reef.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.