Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific)
Reload this Page >

Is less than 2 hour transit in Sydney on 2 separate tickets a good idea?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold

Here's my situation.

My wife and I will be on a Delta issued award ticket on flight VA2 from LAX to SYD in Business with no checked luggage. Arrival time listed as 6:25AM.

I'd like to immediately go to Queenstown, NZ on Air New Zealand. The direct flight leaves at 8:20AM. This will need to be a separately issued ticket.

Just wondered whether this is doable.

Looks like the on time percentage for VA2 is really good. And Air New Zealand code shares with Virgin Australia (although I don't really know if this matters).

If it was all one ticket, I'd be fine with it, as I'd be protected, but as 2 separate tickets, I'm a little uncomfortable.

I'd hate to miss the flight and be asked to purchase another 2 tickets.

Also, would I be able to get VA to issue my Air New Zealand boarding pass in LAX?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:07 pm

What you need to find out, is whether or not you need to clear Australian Customs between flights.
If so ( effectively meaning, you need to GET OUT of the secure area, and check your baggage back into the next flight ), you DO run a big risk.
Between 0600 & 0800 hrs. are very busy times in Sydney International Airport.
Queues for checking in can run to a hundred in line ( depends on Loyalty / status membership ).
GETTING OUT of Aust. Customs in Sydney could easily take an hour.
In short, I wouldn't risk it. There ARE things to go wrong, and I would suggest you need at least a FOUR HOUR gap between flights.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 4:11 pm

You'd go through the international transfer section of the airport, so no need to clear immigration/customs, merely security. As such, the timing ought to be possible assuming that you're not late arriving in Sydney. However, that all pre-supposes (obviously) that your luggage is checked through (I imagine it can be) and, as you say, that you already have your boarding passes for the onward flight.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Christopher
You'd go through the international transfer section of the airport, so no need to clear immigration/customs, merely security. As such, the timing ought to be possible assuming that you're not late arriving in Sydney. However, that all pre-supposes (obviously) that your luggage is checked through (I imagine it can be) and, as you say, that you already have your boarding passes for the onward flight.

Thanks for the replies. We'll only have carry on luggage, so no checked luggage to worry about.

Does anyone know whether I'd be able to get my boarding passes in the Air New Zealand lounge if I can't get them from VA at LAX? I will be arriving on a business class ticket, but my trip on Air New Zealand would be in coach. VA said they won't be able to issue the boarding passes in LAX.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Bikeguy
Does anyone know whether I'd be able to get my boarding passes in the Air New Zealand lounge if I can't get them from VA at LAX? I will be arriving on a business class ticket, but my trip on Air New Zealand would be in coach. VA said they won't be able to issue the boarding passes in LAX.
2 hours is plenty if your inbound is on time - from memory the minimum legal connection time is 60 minutes. If the inbound is late, all bets are off...

You will not be able to get access to the lounge (unless you've got status that isn't listed), but there is a transfer desk where you will be able to. You can also get to the gate without showing a ticket, so you should also be able to get one there as a last resort (eg, if running late!)

With no luggage, you will definitely not need to clear customs/immigration - just security. Make sure you follow the signs to the transfer area - if you end up at immigration then you're lost!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Bikeguy
Thanks for the replies. We'll only have carry on luggage, so no checked luggage to worry about.

The Koru Lounge is in a different terminal to Virgin Australia. So you won't be able to drop in to get your ticket. As another poster has said there is an international transfer desk at SYD.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 1:23 am

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
if you do it as sep tkts i believe you will have to pay the aus pass service and movement charge-total 100$
dont have to if in transit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.