Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NZ trip planning

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2012, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
NZ trip planning

g'day - am headed to NZ in a few weeks and have almost nailed down my plans but would certainly appreciate the advice. I have a few things that are immovable obstructions in my schedule, and also quite a bit of slack that I still need to sort out. Here goes, with questions interspersed:

1) Auckland - I'm there Oct 18-23rd and there's no changing that. Am hoping I can find someone with a sailboat who is interested in a couple afternoons out on the water - eg not a charter but someone who doesn't mind my dad and I as extra crew. Any thoughts on where to find? Any non-obvious must do things or day trips from auckland?
2) Unknown middle dates - oct 23/24 all I know is I have to make it to dunedin sometime on the 24th - haven't decided if i want to fly to CHC, see sights, then bus down, or fly to WLG, see sights, and fly down, or fly to ZQN, see sights and bus over. Thoughts?
3) I'm seeing a friend near dunedin the 24/25 then biking otago rail trail 26/27/28, then busing to queenstown night of the 28 and there for the night, these are also locked down.
4) Uknown middle dates - oct 29 starting the morning in queenstown and through 9:30am in Te Anau on nov 2 is pretty open. I'm thinking I'll spend the 29th in QT doing some of the adventure things there (jet boat, bungie, mountain bike, or something along those lines) then on the 30th take a bus to Manapori(?) and do a doubtful sound overnight on 30th/31st, and stop at the power station for a tour on the way back, getting back to manapori around 4 on the 31st, and then get over to Te Anau for the night. On the first in Te Anau maybe jetboat, hike, or lake tour, plus the glow worms, and then morning of the 2nd i start the milford track. Questions here are should I spend an extra day in QT (the 30th and push the te anau plan back a day) or is it better to spend the day in te anau)
5) Nov 2-6 milford track guided (locked down) back to te anau midday or QT around 4
6) Either night of nov 6 in te anau or QT, and I fly out of ZQN mid afternoon on the 7th. (somewhat dependent on how #4 pans out - probably best to just go back to QT

I'm limited on what I can carry on the milford track, so will need to stow bags - since i'm headed to doubtful/te anau there's a bit more to have to carry if i leave my main back in QT, but if I aim to leave my bag in te anau i'm not sure if i can pick it up after the milford track. Any thoughts there?
Old Oct 5, 2012, 12:45 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
ZQN-DUD is a very boring drive, not scenic once you get 30km from ZQN. Flying via WLG would be my choice, though CHC needs your business (post-earthquake recovery).
Old Oct 5, 2012, 11:44 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by number_6
though CHC needs your business (post-earthquake recovery).
I totally agree with you, I'm down here this weekend for the first time since the February 2011 quake (Used to come here about 8 times a year). It's amazeing to see how damange has been down, but to also see how much the city is trying to get back on its own feet.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
Well looking at it that way, sounds like a good idea. I can fly in to christchurch and i found a rental car without a one way fee from rhodes, and will make the trip without hindrance of a bus schedule.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Dunnedin is really an underrated attraction in nz. The albatross colony otago peninsula even a day trip to the Caitlin's. It does have the adrenaline of queens town but very enjoyable and easy to get around

The city isn't bad either with some interesting architecture speights brewery tour and Cadbury so I wouldn't write it off. More to do than wellington IMO

I agree with others chc needs your business Was There earlier this year and it was really debating to see the city a year later

Doubtful sound is excellent better than Milford.

There really isn't much bad in nz. You will want to return. Enjoy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.