Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Australia Fare Sales?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Australia Fare Sales?

Hi there. I am travelling to Australia this December and I need to book some domestic flights. I was wondering if there is a particular time during the year (coming up) when there is a big fare sale? For example, in Canada there is usually a seat sale starting about now to spur travel in September. This seat sale usually has fare deals good thru about mid-December.

I noticed there seems to be fare deals published by Jetstar, Virgin, etc. every Friday, but I was wondering if there is another key time of year that I should wait for.

Appreciate the response and any help you can provide!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 8:16 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The sales are route specific and primarily based upon competition between DJ and QF. There are no sales for popular routes during school holidays, so chances are for December the lowest fares have already come and gone on most routes. A good example is the current QF sale which ends today and has low fares Oct 1 to Dec 12, and then increasing by 40% on Dec 13.

A good example of exploiting the market share fight between DJ and QF is OOL.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
There's a sale of some sort on at least once or twice a month. As noted, it somewhat depends on which part of December you're looking at. I wouldn't pin too much hope on the latter part of December.

Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Schools finish around the 18th of December. Most people go away on holidays after Christmas. So pretty much expect fares to start going up from about mid-December on.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Australia Fare Sales?

Thanks, everyone for the replies! I have pretty much booked all my domestic flights in AUS. Really looking forward to the trip
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:08 pm

Programs: QF Platinum
Visit Australia Airpass is the go if from another country.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Originally Posted by Limewood
Price-wise, Virgin's Airpass was good for me, but I suppose it all depends on destinations, convenient times and dates of travel.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 3:32 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Limewood
It is never the cheapest on price but offers good flexibility; I've always found better fares if having some flexibility and able to book in advance, but it isn't a bad product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.