Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel in Hobart AU

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2012, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Hotel in Hobart AU

Hello All,

My wife and I will be traveling to Australia for the first time in February and we will be staying in Hobart for 2 days. We would love reccomendations of places to stay. We would like to be near things to do. I have looked on Hotels.com but I just really have no clue. Thank you all very much for your help!
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:31 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by cjkcue
Hello All,

My wife and I will be traveling to Australia for the first time in February and we will be staying in Hobart for 2 days. We would love reccomendations of places to stay. We would like to be near things to do. I have looked on Hotels.com but I just really have no clue. Thank you all very much for your help!
The Islington is small boutique style in the close suburb towards Mt. Wellington. Well run and cosy.

In the Center you have the Henry Jones Art Hotel, a bigger corporate style property in the historic dockyard buildings. Henry is a nice fine dining restaurant.

For the exceptional head to MONA, not just pavillons, but a great restaurant (Source) and the most shocking museum in the world. It is about 10 km outside Hobart on the Derwent river.

P.S. : It makes no sense to go to Tasmania for less than one week.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Hotel in Hobart AU

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately we are unable to visit Hobart for an entire week. I am sure that we will still have a good time even with our short stay.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: QF Silver
My favorite hotel in Hobart is the Somerset on the Elizabeth Street pier.

Well appointed, nice views, short walk to Salamanca Place, and close to the Central Business District. Really sorry you don't have more time and agree with behuman that under a week in Tassie is like sprinting through the Louvre.

Last edited by Zarf4; Jun 11, 2012 at 2:21 pm Reason: Just clarifying it's the Somerset on the Pier, not to be confused with the Somerset on Salamanca.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt GP/Platinum, Priority Club Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver, United Premier Gold
The Henry Jones Art Hotel

We will be staying at his hotel in Hobart next month (7/16 - 7/19); like you, we will only have 2 days to tour the city and surrounding areas. This hotel came highly recomended by others here from a post that I submitted about 6 weeks ago or so. We booked all 3 nights in their Oriental Suite.

Try this website and look for day tours in Hobart; they have several selections of various day tours - http://www.grayline.com.au. We're going on the Port Arthur Day Tour on the 1st day and Bruni Island Wilderness Boat Tour on the 2nd and final day.

Good luck and I'll report back next month for both the hotel and tours in Hobart.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the helpful info Iloilo!
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
We stayed in a hotel called the old woolstore. It wad a converted factory into two floor.apartments with a loft. It had laundry and kitchen. Convenient location. Port aurthur.is a great tour with a lot of insight into origins of modernday oz
Old Jun 24, 2012, 6:40 am

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
Islington is lovely but expensive.
Henry Jones is gorgeous. To the person staying in the Oriental Suite - from experience the bathtub takes about 40 minutes to an hour to fill up.
The Woolstore is also nice, but not as "finished" as the previous two - i.e. its more chain, less unique.
Somerset is also quite nice.
MONA pavilions are expensive, amazing and not near ANYTHING except MONA - which is mind-blowing amazing, subversive and bizarre in equal measures. They have just opened a new exhibit in conjunction with TMAG (the Tasmanian Museum) which by all accounts is stunning - it includes a Picasso borrowed from the Art Gallery of Victoria.
Eating wise, try Montys on Montpelier, Gargaistes or Ethos for high end. Good cafes include Pigeon Hole, Pilgrims and Jam Packed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.