Search

Anyone Drive To The Tip Of Cape York ?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2012, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Anyone Drive To The Tip Of Cape York ?

Has been an idea in the back of my head to consider doing so one day. My last trip to the area I spent a few days in Cooktown and did a day trip to Laura and back ... in a Getz no less and thought a trip to the top would be quite an adventure. This was in September and things were pretty dry, but the drive was quite a rollercoaster at times. Arriving in Laura, I did get a few double takes with my choice of transportation ... and one shop owner ask me if I was taking my Getz to the top !

Any FTers do the trip to the tip of Cape York ? Comments / Experiences ?
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No FTer shares "the dream" ?
Old Jun 15, 2012, 7:22 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by im-headed-west
Look at the stats for this forum -- nobody reads it! If you really want an answer, try a more popular forum. But as it can't be used in a MR and represents real tourism adventure, it isn't a suitable FT topic
Old Jun 15, 2012, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yeah, a hot nuts post on the UA forum would have 1000 posts in under 24 hours ....

I'll run across various accounts of the trip on other sites from time to time. Just checking good 'o FT.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:25 am

I want to do this (drive around the entire coast of Australia) but it takes a lot of time, and I need my main residence to be in London until 2014 at least.

I could combine it with an MR if I can get a 4x4 one-way rental from BNE to ADL and include a drive around NZ as well.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zerogx
I want to do this (drive around the entire coast of Australia) ...
Now you're talking !!!

Ran into a guy on a flight to SYD years ago that was doing the drive from Darwin to Adelaide with his wife and two others and it sounded pretty fun.

Of course, that was before $100/bbl oil ...

Originally Posted by zerogx
... but it takes a lot of time, ...
Therein lies the problem
Old Jun 22, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Sounds like a blast, and it is on my list of Australian experiences.

I have driven from Perth to Broome, from Melbourne (ferry to) Devonport to Hobart, from Brisbane to Cairns, and from Sydney to Brisbane. All in one-way rental motorhomes booked through http://www.standbyrelocs.com/. This ended up being cheaper than the cost of fuel any other way (as they paid a fuel stipend, and the ferry costs!).

Maybe this won't work for Cape York, but it's worth considering. They often have Cairns -> Darwin relocations available. It would probably mean a couple long days driving to 'catch up' from a side trip to Cape York.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OK ... just a baby step on the way to the tip of Cape York that got me dreaming the dream !

From my day trip, Cooktown to Laura, Sep 2009:

Cooktown Lighthouse

"The Dream"

Laura Roadhouse

As far as I was prepared to go in a Getz. The signs in the distance are red for a reason. (Laura, edge of town)

2 minute video, on the way to Laura - cam in one hand, driving with the other, shifting with my knees. Reminder: its a GETZ !

Last edited by im-headed-west; Jun 22, 2012 at 6:52 pm
Old Jun 29, 2012, 2:51 am

Any FTers do the trip to the tip of Cape York ? Comments / Experiences ?
No, but I'd love to ... perhaps one day ... (in the dry season!).
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Why not try doing a Google search as I did when researching that for part of a bicycle adventure?

I actually met a fellow fromTasmania who went up to the tip of the Cape with his bicycle and single-wheeled BOB trailer. he eventually circled Australia on his bicycle and trailer, and even went from Kalgoorlie NE thru Laverton etc on the "Gunbarrel Highway" to Uluru.

Some folks (like Aboriginals) do that trip via Laverton in cars...
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tmac100
Why not try doing a Google search as I did when researching that for part of a bicycle adventure?
What makes you think I didn't ?

but I always like to check on FT too ... never know what type of experiences I'll hear about.

I can see the bike thing working .... but definitely only in The Dry ... unless he pulls a small boat behind the trailer.

I bet the biker loved it when the big mining trucks go by. It wasn't very fun in my little car as they don't stop/slow at all and the dust they kick up completely blocks your vision in all direction. I just pulled over to allow the air to clear.

Last edited by im-headed-west; Jul 2, 2012 at 7:43 am Reason: typo
Old May 13, 2018, 9:04 am

I'm revisiting this.

I have about 11 days to drive from Townsville to the tip of Cape York, mid-July. Then I'd plan to fly back to Cairns.

At the moment I haven't found anyone to join me, and although I fancy myself a bit of a risk-taker, it seems like a difficult journey solo (ideally, you'd have more than one vehicle in your caravan).

I'm interested in any thoughts in general, but specifically if there are any tour agencies that might help take me to the top. The only ones I've found offer a round-trip from Cairns, but I don't have time for the return trip.

Cheers
Old May 31, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: NZ QFQP
I could be keen to join the caravan. It would be an adventure! I have a Pajero iO but probably needs some work if I was to take it. What vehicle are you planning to use?
CPMaverick likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
FWIW, I am bicycling from Mareeba to Seisia soon. Leave Mareeba June 20th and fly from Horn Island (2 ferries from Seisia wharf to HID wharf) on July 12th. Been to Mareeba in 2006 when bicycling from Cairns to Normanton to Darwin. No point in bicycling up that escarpment again.
After Laura the road is unpaved, except for the causeways and roads near Coen, etc.

Almost NO internet/mobile service, but roadhouses have paytelephones on landline...
Old May 31, 2018, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by ajhphd
I could be keen to join the caravan. It would be an adventure! I have a Pajero iO but probably needs some work if I was to take it. What vehicle are you planning to use?
Sorry replied to your PM before I saw this. I don't have a vehicle at the moment. I'll be flying into Townsville. Was looking to rent or possibly buy then re-sell something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.