Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2012, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Quite aware of that fact, especially given that I'm in NZ right now . I was just explaining to that poster why someone else might have the idea that a small tip would lead to a bit of miscommunication.

Chris
AnnaBeth was speaking from personal experience as a server in Australia, not in foreign countries such as the US or New Zealand. No idea what the tipping culture in NZ is, but I suspect it's closer to Australia's than the US'.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Moineau
... No idea what the tipping culture in NZ is, but I suspect it's closer to Australia's than the US'.
Yes – on the other side of Australia's from the US's, in fact. Basically (and I suppose this is a generalisation, but still) – basically no tipping
Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:15 am

AnnaBeth was speaking from personal experience as a server in Australia, not in foreign countries such as the US or New Zealand...
No, but (as far as I know) the thread was started by someone in the US, and will be read by people from the US, so surely it is not irrelevant to indicate what the understanding of a particular action might be by a US person doing the tipping, even if the Australian person being tipped puts a different construction on it.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:29 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by Christopher
No, but (as far as I know) the thread was started by someone in the US, and will be read by people from the US, so surely it is not irrelevant to indicate what the understanding of a particular action might be by a US person doing the tipping, even if the Australian person being tipped puts a different construction on it.
Indeed, and hence my reply. Although I am a pretty large tipper in the U.S., I haven't tipped much here in Australia/New Zealand yet. I did tip a couple of dollars for a beer in a sports bar in Sydney for the bartender hunting down a basketball game I wanted to watch, as she did spend probably ten minutes fussing with me. Other than that, dang, beers are $7. I can't afford to tip.

Chris
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:03 am

Indeed, and hence my reply. Although I am a pretty large tipper in the U.S., I haven't tipped much here in Australia/New Zealand yet. I did tip a couple of dollars for a beer in a sports bar in Sydney for the bartender hunting down a basketball game I wanted to watch, as she did spend probably ten minutes fussing with me. Other than that, dang, beers are $7. I can't afford to tip.

Chris
I would certainly say that that was a good reason to tip – ten minutes of fussing is quite a lot, and especially so in our brave new, comsumer-belt world.

Last edited by Christopher; Mar 28, 2012 at 10:09 am
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:17 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
AnnaBeth was speaking from personal experience as a server in Australia, not in foreign countries such as the US or New Zealand. No idea what the tipping culture in NZ is, but I suspect it's closer to Australia's than the US'.
And so was I, who has also worked in the industry.

Dave
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:19 am
In Memoriam

$7? You're in the wrong pplace, my local has $6 PINTS!

Dave
Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by thadocta
And so was I, who has also worked in the industry.

Dave
Maybe so, but I hadn't seen your post so I won't comment on it
Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:34 pm
In Memoriam

Maybe so, but I hadn't seen your post so I won't comment on it
Tell me you are kidding - my post was #7 in this thread, and the posts you responded to were well after that.

You aren't telling me you do a hit-and-run are you, where you don't read a whole thread before responding to specific posts, are you?

Dave
Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:37 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by AnnaBeth
As someone who worked in restaurants for 7 years I can categorically state that this is not the message that is being received.
As someone who has also worked in restaurants, if I get a zero tip, I just assume "They do not tip". If I get a tip of $30 on a bill of $500, I regard that as pretty standard. If I get a tip of $1 on a $560 bill, that tells me that something was sub-standard.

Dave
Old Mar 28, 2012, 6:59 pm

I think servers should understand the tipping customs that some visitors might have. Some, like me, do not tip at all; what is on the bill is the exact amount I pay, and I absolutely do not regard this to be insulting or indicate that service was bad. Whether the service was extremely bad or extremely good, I leave 0% tip because I have always done so, even for eating at the same restaurant multiple times. I have had some friends who will tip 0% like me, as well some who for some reason tip 50% or more. One time an acquaintance of mine tipped more than 100% on a bill of Ł7 for him, which made no sense to me.

I am not sure about Australia/NZ, but do restaurant workers generally understand if someone leaves 0% tip?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:00 pm

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by thadocta
$7? You're in the wrong pplace, my local has $6 PINTS!

Dave
The places I drink too are far less than that too :-) The RSL and surf club both have schooners for <$4.50.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:08 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by ozzie
The places I drink too are far less than that too :-) The RSL and surf club both have schooners for <$4.50.
My RSL has $4 schooners (members rate), but the pub has $6 pints, or $20 special, a pint and anything off the menu (Beef & Guiness Pie works for me).

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.