Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$59 Air New Zealand domestic standby fares :)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Credit Cards
Arrow $59 Air New Zealand domestic standby fares :)

Just a quick recommendation for visitors to New Zealand looking for travel options... You can buy a domestic same-day standby fare either by showing up at the airport or calling 0 800 737 000 between the hours of 10am and 3:30pm for any flights around the island at a rate of $59 except for Queenstown and Dunedin at the south part of the South Island which are $79. $10 extra if you check a bag: http://promos.airnz.co.nz/gas/standbyfares/

I just got off my third Grabaseat Standby flight and it was super convenient... thanks to wijomas for being bad influence on me, but this is the third time I'm literally flying moments after deciding to do it, well thanks to bad weather too I guess. I wouldn't have flown though had the only option been $315 they wanted to charge for a confirmed seat.

I noticed at least four Americans on my most recent flight, and just wanted to put this post out there so you don't pay the ridiculous fees that are normally charged on these short routes. You do need to be feeling adventurous though, and have some flexibility (for example, I wasn't able to fly on a busy weekend, from a hole in the wall airport in the middle of nowhere, on a tiny puddle jumper... but a similar itinerary out of big city like Christchurch wasn't a problem)

Enjoy!

--Russ
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:17 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Can you do it via phone? That makes it too good to be true...
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brenrox
Can you do it via phone? That makes it too good to be true...
yes absolutely... Dial 0 800 737 000

the thing that ruins the deal is you get no Airpoints or Status points for these flights... just a cheap last minute way of getting from point A to point B, between 10am and 3:30pm
Old Jan 21, 2012, 4:47 am

This is excellent, I wish I knew about this earlier!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:53 am

Programs: VA Gold, HH Gold
By any chance does anyone know of a way of checking typical loading of flights?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 2:12 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Raynz
By any chance does anyone know of a way of checking typical loading of flights?
There are several ways. Easiest is to try booking a flight and see which fares come up as available (grabaseat etc).
Old Mar 1, 2012, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
There are several ways. Easiest is to try booking a flight and see which fares come up as available (grabaseat etc).
just be careful when you see 3 or 4 seats open

AirNZ will give those seats to any standby staff or family of staff before paying standby customers... happened to me a few times now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.