Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Landing late in Papeete - where to go (before heading on to Moorea)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2011, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, HHononors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Star Alliance Silver, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidential
Smile Landing late in Papeete - where to go (before heading on to Moorea)

Up front: I've looked at a lot of different threads but haven't really found an answer to my question. If I missed a thread, please apologize the oversight!

I just confirmed the big details for our honeymoon - Flights to Papeete via AA and Air Tahiti Nui (Citi 75k points Visa card helped a lot there) in Business RT; 4 nights at Hilton Moorea and 6 nights at Hilton Bora Bora - both stays in OWB (AmEx HHonors Surpass helped a lot, HHonors Diamond status).

The pressing questions left are:

We're landing around 10PM the evening *before* our first reservation in Moorea begins and, since we're flying JFK - LAX and then LAX - PPT, we were considering to find a 'crash hotel' somewhere near the PPT airport before taking the ferry to Moorea the next morning. => Has anyone here done this before or would it make more sense to try and get to the Moorea Hilton the night that we arrive (assuming there are even late flights/ferries that could take us)? Any rookie mistakes we should avoid (cab sharks, shady places, etc)?[/COLOR]

Consensus seems to be that the ferry, while it takes longer, offers great views and is an experience. For the way from Bora Bora to PPT, people seem to favor the short flight into PPT to avoid any additional transfers => Do we have a good/sound approach here or is there anything we're missing? While we haven't even determined how to best get from Moorea to Bora Bora, I am somewhat confident that the Hilton staff will be able to help there.

We're not flying until May of 2012 so we have time to plan the smaller details and I appreciate any insights/suggestions folks here are willing to share regarding my questions.

Any pointers re: the flight (seems impossible to get an actual seat assignment from Air Tahiti Nui, despite being in Business Class), what to do after landing at 10PM local time (hotel nearby or a way to get from PPT to Moorea) and any DOs/DON'Ts for the time at Moorea/Bora Bora would be greatly appreciated. (I did read that many Diamond Members got courtesy upgrades to OWB but didn't want to take chances so we booked the regular King OWB). Also, a list of 'no brainer items' we should pack, travel pharmacy wise, etc. would also help. I don't want to forget any of the 'obvious' things and make sure our Honeymoon is the unforgettable experience we hope it will be.

Thank you in advance,
Manuel
Old Dec 17, 2011, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
There are a number of posts regarding this in the specific hilton threads about the hotels.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...hlight=papeete

For example see this post and the responses to it in the Bora Bora thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17177834-post386.html
It seems like a lot of people like the IC.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Landing that late, unfortunately I think the cabs jack up their rates. The "Le Truck" buses stop running at some point at night, too, and you likely wouldn't want to go that route on the first day of a honeymoon. Definitely take Le Truck the next day, etc., to get the local flavor.

You won't be able to get the ferry over to Moorea that late, either.

Best bet is to find a hotel in downtown Papeete, catch the ferry the next morning. Get a cab into town, it isn't all that far so shouldn't be too expensive.

There is usually a big gathering of food trucks, local stuff, etc. near the docks after dark in downtown Papeete, it may well be over or nearly over when you arrive. Fun if you have another evening in Papeete.

Definitely take the ferry to Moorea, it is nice, short little ride. I loved taking the ferry all the way to Bora Bora, but it is about a 5 hour trip, so personal preference on that. You do get to see most of the other islands on the way out (from the dock).

Expect to do a lot of snorkeling or scuba. It is great out there. I took one of the day long snorkeling/ray feeding trips out into the lagoon at Bora Bora and had a great time, though missed a spot on my back with sunscreen, which was a mistake. On Moorea, there are some great "round the island" tours, which are fun. Jeep trips into the hills on both Moorea and Bora Bora are fun. Another fun excursion was renting a scooter on Bora Bora - easy to drive all the way around the island.

Have fun!
Old Dec 17, 2011, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, HHononors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Star Alliance Silver, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidential
Talking Thank yous...and a few more questions...

Thanks for the first quick responses - as always, the knowledge of members on here continues to amaze me.

Does anyone know of a decent hotel near the ferry in Papeete? And, roughly, how much a cab from the airport would be?

Also, how about flights from Moorea - Bora Bora...and Bora Bora back to PPT? I've found a few links (island passes, etc.) but they seem to include more than we need....literally just looking for one ways...

Cheers,
Manuel
Old Dec 17, 2011, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Got interested, and went back to check on the ferries - very hard to find websites of the ferry companies.

The ferries to Moorea run several times a day. http://www.aremiti.net/ www.mooreaferry.pf , perhaps some others.

The ferries from Tahiti to Bora Bora run only 3 times a week... and I can't find a live website for them - the boat name is the Vaeanu.

Here is the Lonely Planet page with the info and phone numbers - if you want to try the ferry out to Bora Bora, you can check your timing, and maybe have a French speaking person give the company a call on Skype to make sure it is actually up and running. http://www.lonelyplanet.com/tahiti-a...getting-around

Not sure when Easter is this year - found out the hard way that "Easter Monday" is a holiday with sharply cut schedules on just about everything.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:48 pm

Sheraton, Intercontinental, and Sofitel are all a stone's throw from the airport at Papeete. If in your budget, I would get the least expensive room at any of these for the night and leave for Moorea the next morning. If not, I'm sure there are cheaper options nearby.

We took the air shuttle to Moorea -- about a 10-minute flight on a small plane that had the feel of a commuter bus. If you're eager to get to Moorea right away, a quick flight the next morning after breakfast is the best option. Avoid town altogether.

Travel from Moorea to Bora Bora to Tahiti (Papeete) is not trivial. I believe that the only realistic way to do it is with Air Tahiti flights. Each of these flights is about an hour, and, as I recall, they are not all that cheap. This is not something to be left to the last minute and is likely to make the cost of one night's hotel near PPT pale in comparison.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 1:45 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Moving this thread to the South Pacific forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
TravelBuzz moderator
Old Dec 18, 2011, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Wink Another thank you..

...thanks again for taking the time to help me think thru this. I thought getting the flights/upgrades and OWBs scheduled was the tough part - looks like the first night coverage and just getting around successfully and at reasonable rates is the actual challenge!

Has anyone gone recently and be able/willing to share how they planned to get around all the islands?

Cheers,
Manuel
Old Dec 21, 2011, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
The Tahiti Airport Motel is right across the street from the airport and probably your best bet for an overnight crash-pad. You can walk and avoid an overpriced taxi fare. It's cheaper to book them on www.wotif.com than to use their own website.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 2:54 pm

Programs: IHG Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by manuel_c
...thanks again for taking the time to help me think thru this. I thought getting the flights/upgrades and OWBs scheduled was the tough part - looks like the first night coverage and just getting around successfully and at reasonable rates is the actual challenge!

Has anyone gone recently and be able/willing to share how they planned to get around all the islands?

Cheers,
Manuel
I was there a little over a year ago. We landed late on Saturday night and had to crash in Papeete before catching the flight over to Moorea. We had our travel agent organize a transport from the airport the night we landed to a hotel, Manava Suite, and back to the airport the next morning. It was relatively inexpensive and when you book with a bus company you and your wife will be greeted with a lei upon arrival which sets the mood perfectly!

We flew to both Moorea and Bora Bora. The Moorea flight isn't too outrageously priced but the Bora Bora flight certainly is and there is no getting around it.

Once you're on the islands getting around is easy. Most places you can walk to and if you need to hail a cab it's not very difficult. You can actually "hitch hike" on Moorea and the locals will give you a ride to where you need to go. The taxi fares in Papeete do increase to almost double the price once night fall hits and since they are the only game in town you'll have to deal with it.

I agree that the Airport Motel is a good option but it's a much further walk than it looks and you certainly don't want to start your honeymoon off with a long walk, at night, and in humid conditions.

I hope this helps. If you have any other question send me a PM. As I stated, I was just there a year ago and I remember it like it was yesterday!
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:17 pm

Taxi from the PPT airport to either the IC or Sofitel is generally between XPF1,000 and 1,500 in my experience.

You won't be able to get across to MOZ on the night you arrive into PPT @ 2200 as the ferries stop about 2000 and the last flight over is around the same time. As you have stated and are perfectly correct, the ferry is the nicest way to get to MOZ. ^

Ferry Timetable and Inter island flights.

I travel to PPT/MOZ/HUH/BOB a few times a year on average and can say without a doubt you will have a wonderful honeymoon and that Bora Bora really is as amazing as everyone says it is.

Let me know if you have any other questions, happy to assist where possible.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
question about Tahiti

wow..i cant believe I found this thread...just what I was looking for!!

I also am planning on going in May and i found availability in business for on TN 101 which arrives at 21:50PM. So from the sound of it, it looks like the smartest thing to go is crash at the airport motel, and then take off in the morning to Moorea......which is my next question. Can anyone recommend a nice resort/hotel or package deal which includes good snorkeling? Im still researching Tahiti but am afraid if I dont get these flights, they will be gone...so im crunched for time on finding a decent resort/hotel
Old Apr 29, 2012, 9:10 pm

I am also going May 13-20... I arrive at 17:00 off Air New Zealand and will be hustling to make the 18:30 Ferry to Moorea so it should be interesting... I assume the Taxis will cost $10-25?

I'm curious what dates are the other posters going?
Old Sep 14, 2016, 9:54 pm

we will be arriving late (11 pm) from Auckland and need place to crash before ferry to Moorea the next day. family of 5 with kids 17, 15, 13, Youngest (son) can sleep on floor with pillows. He's used to a sleeping bag in a tent so a pile of blankets on the floor isn't a problem if I can sneak 5 into a single room and avoid getting 2 rooms that would be a bonus especially since it's just a pit stop

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.