Wiki Posts
Search

sydney NYE2011-12

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AmexPlat,SPG,CitiAA,One pass,
sydney NYE2011-12

Going to be in Sydney for NYE and looking for suggestions on experiencing the fireworks and where to party afterwards. My Gf and I are in our mid 20's and are from New York so you can have a idea of what we are like. Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you booked accommodation ?
Old Oct 31, 2011, 4:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
On that info... http://operabar.com.au/OperaBarNyeTickets/675/n/3/0/0/
Old Nov 1, 2011, 3:57 pm

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
I second the opera bar - best view there is of the bridge. It's not cheap to get in - but it saves the hassle of dealing with the crowds.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 1:57 am

Programs: Too many
Heaps of Harbour cruises have the best views on the harbour itself...dinner and drinks usually around $500 pp upwards depending on the cruise company or online specials.

The hotels close by all have functions you have buy tickets for...but you need to do it NOW...not wait!
Old Nov 5, 2011, 9:33 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
I would stay at the sh la hotel . I have booked the Sydney harbour Marriott for e night in a bridge view room. But the staff telling me it's not the bes to see the fireworks and they don't allow roof access.
I was trying to get a room at the park hyatt I think that's the best place to be I left my name with them if they open up in time . That's the best if your not on a strict budget !
Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:17 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Shanye2233
... I have booked the Sydney harbour Marriott for e night in a bridge view room. But the staff telling me it's not the bes to see the fireworks and they don't allow roof access....
I've actually stayed there and seen the view; it is a full view of the bridge, but in a niche between buildings so you don't see the panorama surrounding the bridge -- hence the staff comments. The PH is probably worse for viewing the fireworks as it is under them; certainly the Opera bar view will be far better (the PH view is the other way, of the Opera House, which in normal times is preferred over the bridge, but not NYE).
Old Nov 6, 2011, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Shanye2233
I would stay at the sh la hotel . I have booked the Sydney harbour Marriott for e night in a bridge view room. But the staff telling me it's not the bes to see the fireworks and they don't allow roof access.
I was trying to get a room at the park hyatt I think that's the best place to be I left my name with them if they open up in time . That's the best if your not on a strict budget !
I agree with number_6. The PH is almost underneath the Bridge so you would have almost no view of the fireworks on the Bridge.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AmexPlat,SPG,CitiAA,One pass,
Hotel is booked already at the hotel inn located in the rocks so I think I am in a good spot.

I Know being there on NYE is not going to happen again, but can not see spending 300 pp or more for the experience. If I use that amount of money on my everyday activities would be a better use in my eyes.

I will contact the hotel and ask if there is any roof activities on that date, as they do have a rooftop pool.

If I have to the opera bar looks like a good location, thanks for that tip.

Last edited by Vacation time; Nov 7, 2011 at 9:10 am
Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:41 pm

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Vacation time
Hotel is booked already at the hotel inn located in the rocks so I think I am in a good spot.

I Know being there on NYE is not going to happen again, but can not see spending 300 pp or more for the experience. If I use that amount of money on my everyday activities would be a better use in my eyes.

I will contact the hotel and ask if there is any roof activities on that date, as they do have a rooftop pool.

If I have to the opera bar looks like a good location, thanks for that tip.
You can get a good view other places around the harbour, no question. It's just a matter of whether it will be an enjoyable experience. People start heading out at 4am on NYE to get the best spots. And then sit there, all day, in the sun, waiting for the event. If you want to find somewhere at around 5pm with no charge, my guess is that you'll be completely out of luck. Every viewing space will be filled to within an inch. It's a once in a life-time, I'd drop the money. You'll also be protected from the elements (sun or rain). Your time for a whole day is worth more than $300 surely ?

You won't be able to see the fireworks from the Rocks as they are on the Bridge. The Holiday Inn is almost directly under it.

Last edited by ozzie; Nov 7, 2011 at 7:50 pm
Old Nov 9, 2011, 2:30 pm

Another option which at least includes all your food:

http://www.operakitchen.com.au/new-y...=new-years-eve

This is next door to the Opera Bar.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
I'd drop the money in a heart beat.

Also, previous threads on this topic suggested some tourist boats offer last-minute tickets at a much lower price. Perhaps it's something to investigate.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Try a search there have been many threads for prior NYE.

We did this 4 years ago and like you did not think it was worth spending $300pp. So we simply at an early dinner and then joined the crowds along Circular Quay @ 6pm. We had a great time, shared beers and wine with some fun people, and watched both the 9pm and midnight shows. The only downside is the hike to WCs which can take a while depending on your location. And this option won't work for people who are afraid of large crowds. Things get really packed after 9pm and it becomes hard to move. It's essentially the Aussie equivalent of Times Square, but with great weather and no concerns about terrorists or crime. If you get there by 6pm you should still find seating somewhere - by 4pm you'll have your pick.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by ozzie
You won't be able to see the fireworks from the Rocks as they are on the Bridge. The Holiday Inn is almost directly under it.
There certainly are places in the Rocks with a view of the bridge. Right across the street from the front door of the Holiday Inn Rocks even has something of a view.

Also the roof of the Holiday Inn has a view of the Bridge:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/56313003

However the roof area is tiny and not much larger than the space you can see in the next photo:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/56313001
Old Nov 10, 2011, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
We had no trouble seeing the fireworks over the opera house from the rocks side of circular quay. I'll post some of our photos when I have a minute. From our vantage, we could not see the bridge but of course the fireworks over the bridge were easy to see as well. Conversely from the opera side you would get a good view of the bridge fireworks but not so good of the opera house. From the party boats you can see everything, but you pay a premium to do so!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.