SFO-SYD in the late 90s: who flew it?

Old Jun 10, 2011, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA G
SFO-SYD in the late 90s: who flew it?

So I'm looking through an old passport and noticed that I had done SFO-SYD in the late 90s. I recall doing it in business class, but can't remember on which carrier I did it. The only reason I know it's SFO-SYD is because of the immigration stamps Our family has a lot of AA miles and some UA miles, so I'm thinking whoever was in OW or *A at that time. I know it was definitely an award ticket.

I remember flying Ansett for SYD-BNE-CNE (or some combination thereof), but am not sure if it was part of the same award.

It appears that QF did not have an SFO-SYD route until 2005. Who could I have possibly flown in the late 90s for the long haul?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 8:01 pm

Programs: QR Gold; EY Gold; Hilton Gold; IHG Plat Amb; Marriott Gold Elite; Hertz Pres Circ
Originally Posted by unavaca
So I'm looking through an old passport and noticed that I had done SFO-SYD in the late 90s. I recall doing it in business class, but can't remember on which carrier I did it. The only reason I know it's SFO-SYD is because of the immigration stamps

It appears that QF did not have an SFO-SYD route until 2005. Who could I have possibly flown in the late 90s?
Air NZ, codeshare with United? That's how I did it.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 8:45 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
...It appears that QF did not have an SFO-SYD route until 2005. Who could I have possibly flown in the late 90s for the long haul?
QF most certainly did have SFO-SYD route before 2006, in fact for decades but abandoned it for the LAX hub circa mid-90s (think it was 1995). So entirely possible that it was QF.

QF owned an office building on Union Square in SF, for decades (and still owns cargo hangars at SFO). QF first flew to SF in 1954 and even flew SF-NYC starting 1958 (in a world's first round-the-world service). Somehow QF doesn't get a lot of credit for this (most Americans think PanAm had the first RTW service -- not QF). QF continued the SF-JFK-LHR service until 1973.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:02 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I flew SFO-SYD on UA back in 1999. Only ~150K miles for one of their 2-person business class awards. (Those were the days!)
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Ah ha, the two in C for 150k sounds familiar! I'm pretty sure it was UA now.

Anyone know what equipment they were flying at the time? This was 1998. Did the SFO-SYD flights still arrive early in the morning as they do now?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:12 pm
Suspended

QF used to use a 747 SP on the route, but not sure when it stopped.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 4:37 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Not sure the SP ever operated SYD-SFO, but it was used SYD-LAX. QF only had 2 SPs (out of 45 built), and was famously used for WLG (short runway with difficult approach). QF tried several times to sell their SPs after getting 744s (which had longer range than SPs as well as much better economics), but couldn't due to having RR engines. I think all the other SPs made were with P&W eingines. The SP is also famous for being the only airliner that survived a 5g maneouver (courtesy of China Air). Must have been quite a thrill for those pax.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I don't think UA used the 747SP; they got rid of theirs in 1994 I think?
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:13 pm

Programs: Oneworld
United my guess

They were co-share with Ansett and almost always a better deal for families.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:52 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by number_6
QF first flew to SF in 1954 and even flew SF-NYC starting 1958 (in a world's first round-the-world service). Somehow QF doesn't get a lot of credit for this (most Americans think PanAm had the first RTW service -- not QF).
Possibly because Pan Am started RTW service in 1947. But I guess 'most Americans' think 1947 occurred before 1958.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by number_6
QF first flew to SF in 1954 and even flew SF-NYC starting 1958 (in a world's first round-the-world service). Somehow QF doesn't get a lot of credit for this (most Americans think PanAm had the first RTW service -- not QF)...
And I am sitting under a brace of framed vintage BOAC travel posters which proclaim, "First Around the World With Jets." So there are undoubtedly some Englishmen out there with a third view.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by BearX220
And I am sitting under a brace of framed vintage BOAC travel posters which proclaim, "First Around the World With Jets." So there are undoubtedly some Englishmen out there with a third view.
The key word there being 'with jets'
Old Jun 13, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
I don't think UA used the 747SP; they got rid of theirs in 1994 I think?
I flew Pan Am 747SP's between SYD-LAX in the early 80's. A great flight experience with wonderful American service onboard. Unlimited beer and an open snack bar for economy passengers. Cute slippers too!
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
The key word there being 'with jets'
That's what I figured, but how then was the QF RTW service part prop? BTW, my first flight ever was on a Qantas 707 Idlewild-LHR in 1962... one segment of that routing.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 3:13 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Possibly because Pan Am started RTW service in 1947. But I guess 'most Americans' think 1947 occurred before 1958.
Perhaps some Americans also know that it is impossible to fly RTW without crossing the equator

PanAm flew around the northern hemisphere but not around the world -- significantly shorter and easier. Same for BOAC (also I think BOAC was not a scheduled service, but a demonstration flight; there were plenty of those, including by non-airlines like the USAAF).

I think QF did not fly RTW pre-707, but not sure. I have read of a route via MEX and BDA which might have been using Constellations.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.