Wiki Posts
Search

Hot Air Ballooning

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2011, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Hot Air Ballooning

Hello,

My husband and I will be visiting Australia for the entire month of September. We would love to get a bird's eye view of some of the more scenic areas (i.e not the cities), and are not interested in taking a helicopter. So... I'm wondering where the best place would be for a relaxing hot air balloon ride. It looks like it's possible to take a ride near Alice Springs and Flinders Ranges, and I've also seen websites offering ballooning over both Hunter Valley and Yarra Valley. Any recommendations would be most welcome.
Old May 3, 2011, 4:17 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Actually some of the cities are very scenic as they have a lot of parkland and water. You might be surprised; I was. Uluru would be the best place but it is not permitted. Alice Springs is out of viewing distance so it isn't so interesting unless you like desert and ghost town architecture. Personally I would pick Yarra Valley as it is like Napa with better wine than Hunter Valley (though that can be good too). Really can't go wrong with this, but September is the start of spring = storms, which may make it the trickiest month for ballooning.
Old May 3, 2011, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Might I add, welcome to FT! Only 6 years to get post #1 on the board.
Old May 4, 2011, 2:36 am

The Barossa Valley is very scenic and I know they do hot air ballooning up there. It's also a fantastic wine region so if you like wine you can tour a lot of the big name wineries while you're there.

Do you know where you're planning on staying while you're in Australia? It might help make a few more suggestions. The Barossa would be a reasonably easy destination to fit in if you were going to the Flinders Ranges from Adelaide but not so much if you were coming in from a different direction.
Old May 4, 2011, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Hi Bensyd, thanks for the warm welcome!

AnnaBeth, right now our itinerary is in the very preliminary stages, but we'll definitely be spending some time in/around Adelaide, so the Barossa Valley would fit right in. Since we'll probably have time for only one of Australia's wine regions, do you recommend Barossa over Yarra? (We're mainly looking for an easygoing/non-crowded atmosphere and high scenic value.)

In addition to Alice Springs/Uluru, we're hoping to spend some time up north in both Cairns/Port Douglas and Darwin/Kakadu areas... not sure if any possibilities for ballooning would exist there...
Old Jun 10, 2022, 1:19 am

Programs: CX Gold
Is it off season for hot air ballooning during the month of August, particularly near Melbourne? Been looking at several operators, but there's no availability for the entire month of August.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by boybi
Is it off season for hot air ballooning during the month of August, particularly near Melbourne? Been looking at several operators, but there's no availability for the entire month of August.
No. If you're not seeing availability it's because they're booked out.
boybi likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by Serene555
... are not interested in taking a helicopter. ..
Yes, its an 11 year old thread...but....

When we toured the red center, we were 2 days at Uluru, then some driving up and around to Alice.

HOWEVER, I booked a dawn helicopter flight with my wife- without telling her. It wasnt until we pulled up in the pre-dawn that she realized it.

Well, it was utterly transformative. What an amazing perspective. Some of my pictures in the low,red dawn light are really quite something.... at one point, all my musings about 'the rock', the geology...all that...snapped into focus when the pilot observed: "you are looking at a fossilized ocean floor". In an instant, what I was seeing- the undulating patterns- all made sense. 6 years ago I can still vividly recall the trip.

Oh, my wife said "this isnt so bad, we arent going that fast"...I looked at the airspeed it was 140.

bensyd and Rare like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.