Search

Duty Free Alcohol to Australia

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2010, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: "all" airlines and hotels
Duty Free Alcohol to Australia

G'day all.

I am taking a flight - LAX - Melbourne Australia, with a connection in Sydney. So, if I buy duty free in LAX - with the current liquid restrictions, what will happen in Sydney?

If it was USA, I know I would have to clear customs in Sydney, which would give me access to my checked bag, so I could insert it into checked bag.

So, is this how a connection in Australia works?

Alternatively, will I be "in transit" and not have to worry about going through a security checkpoint where liquid volume restriction is enforced?

Thanks for any info.

Ron
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:04 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please follow this thread in the FT Australia Forum.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Dec 27, 2010, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
There is no domestic liquid restriction in Australia, so assuming the connection SYD-MEL is a domestic one you can just carry on, no issues.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:48 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The only restriction on liquids is for international flights -- including domestic tag ends. So while 99% of domestic flights have no problem, liquids will be confiscated if you connect to an "international" flight, whether it leaves Australia or not
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:50 pm

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Originally Posted by simong
There is no domestic liquid restriction in Australia, so assuming the connection SYD-MEL is a domestic one you can just carry on, no issues.
Exactly. The OP just needs to remember that there is a limit of 2.25L of alcoholic beverage which can be brought in duty free. You also have to collect you bags and clear customs in SYD so placing the bottle in you checked bag is an option if you want.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:41 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by simong
NOT if you are flying United, as the SYD-MEL leg is considered international.

Believe me, I found out the hard way!

OP, if you are flying United do not buy any duty free at LAX as you will lose it, there is no access to checked baggage @ SYD
Old Dec 29, 2010, 5:08 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Hence my warning that domestic tag ends of international flights -- on all airlines -- prohibit liquids onboard. UA is a bit unique as I think it is the only one that has no access to checked baggage at SYD (as customs is cleared in MEL not SYD, to keep on schedule and help UA with crew hours). On QF you have the option to put your liquids in checked baggage if you clear customs at SYD (i.e. connecting onto domestic flight in the international terminal). UA is rather inconvenient this way and is the only US-SYD flight that does this -- nasty given the high cost of liquor in Oz, making that 2.25l duty free worth >AUD 100.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: "all" airlines and hotels
ouch. Exactly what I feared - worst of all worlds.

Any idea about on board purchases?
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:35 pm

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Originally Posted by rsercely

You should be able to buy duty free in MEL if you want. Onboard purchases would not be allowed on the SYD-MEL segment as it is a domestic flight run with international restrictions.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 6:36 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by rsercely

On board purchase LAX-SYD will be confiscated at SYD (assuming the UA flights)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.