Wiki Posts
Search

Australian Dollar

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by im-headed-west
Good economic news in the US ... look out below ! Getting really greedy, but would LOVE a sub .9 AUD !

Can't believe a .8x AUD is actually close ... come on .7x !!!

Keep up the food recos ... love food ideas from the locals

^
Any similarly priced/appointed accommodations to the basic Lord Nelson rooms in the Rocks ... $130/$190 wo/w ensuite ?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Do you mean in USD$ or newly-demoted AUD$?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LN rooms are $130/$190 AUD shared/ensuite ... comes with a cont break, though I didnt try it when I stayed there last Dec

Seems really good for the location
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whoa ... 1 AUD finally < .8 USD !!! ... need to head down under

Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whoa ... 1 AUD finally < .8 USD !!! ... need to head down under

As a traveler, it's certainly nice to see the Australian dollar dip against the US dollar -- especially since I'm headed there in a few months.

That said, Australia is still no "value destination" for Americans. It would now just be "expensive," as opposed to "are you kidding me expensive."
Old Jan 23, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by iahphx
As a traveler, it's certainly nice to see the Australian dollar dip against the US dollar -- especially since I'm headed there in a few months.
McDonalds and Target will be thrilled at the extra business that will bring in
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
I guess you still haven't forgiven me for noting that Australia is an over-rated tourist destination. Your snarky comment would seem to confirm it.

That said, at 20% off, the country is more competitive on the international tourist circuit. I still believe that every first-time American visitor should head to southern Africa instead -- way more animals, way more interesting (because it's different), and way better value. Heck, the beer and wine is like 20% of the cost!
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
That said, at 20% off, the country is more competitive on the international tourist circuit. I still believe that every first-time American visitor should head to southern Africa instead -- way more animals, way more interesting (because it's different), and way better value. Heck, the beer and wine is like 20% of the cost!
When did Africa and Australia become equivalents?

Your comparison would be no different to me advising Australian tourists to visit southern Africa instead of the US.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:58 pm

I guess you still haven't forgiven me for noting that Australia is an over-rated tourist destination. Your snarky comment would seem to confirm it.

Hmmmm, touchy! It's not about forgiveness, I'm just disappointed that you're repeating the mistake of returning here and ignoring the advice to stick to places that aren't out of your league.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by bensyd

Your comparison would be no different to me advising Australian tourists to visit southern Africa instead of the US.
Oh you know, they both start with the letter "a", to the unsophisticated traveler that would be good enough
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I prefer Hungry Jacks

Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:15 pm

I prefer Hungry Jacks

Ah, but apparently the only free wifi in Oz is at Maccas
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bensyd

Oh, believe me, there are some significant historical, cultural and geographical similarities as you travel the English-speaking world -- and some differences (just like there are between the USA and Australia).

The Namib desert is more interesting than the outback. Cape Town has more to do, and better food (perhaps because it's affordable) than Sydney. Stellenbosch is better than the Barossa (perhaps because you can actually buy the wine at a sensible price). Lions and elephant viewing is better than kangaroos and emus. It's pure joy to shop in a South African supermarket; in an Australian supermarket, you wonder why the heck everything is so expensive.

Mind you, I'd much prefer to live in Australia than South Africa. But as a 2-week tourist, it's not a close call IMO. That said, Africa seems scary to many tourists and Australia seems safe. So they head to Australia.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:54 pm

Please, just don't come back here.

The cost of things is a preoccupation with you, why on earth you would consider returning to an expensive destination is beyond comprehension. It's too far for you to travel to, the only decent food is at McDonalds, Target only sells American-style t-shirts for your sprogs, there is noooooo free wifi anywhere on the entire continent, it's a backwater...blah blah blah.

Seriously, just stay at home or travel only to Africa where everything is just so much better and so much cheaper. Please, just go to Africa. I'm begging you
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please, just don't come back here.

The cost of things is a preoccupation with you, why on earth you would consider returning to an expensive destination is beyond comprehension. It's too far for you to travel to, the only decent food is at McDonalds, Target only sells American-style t-shirts for your sprogs, there is noooooo free wifi anywhere on the entire continent, it's a backwater...blah blah blah.

Seriously, just stay at home or travel only to Africa where everything is just so much better and so much cheaper. Please, just go to Africa. I'm begging you
Ah, the welcoming Spirit of Australia. It's good you don't run their PR.

EDIT: BTW, even your countrymen agree with me. They tend to leave Australia for their own vacations! Twenty-three million people can't be wrong!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.