Australian Dollar

Old Jun 7, 13, 1:20 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
They are fairly indicative. You can certainly find cheaper places, but it takes determination, and the default tends toward those prices.

As in: wandering around, "Oh this looks like a nice place, let's go in there" those are likely to be the prices you'll be confronted with.

I'm writing from the point of view of a regular visitor, rather than a local.
Old Jun 7, 13, 1:55 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
That's helpful mandolino, thank you!
Old Jun 7, 13, 4:20 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Wildvet View Post
Just curious...are the food prices at Imperial indicative of pub prices in the Sydney area? Or is this not considered a pub? I'm going to be in Sydney next month and am trying to get an idea of what to expect when eating out.

Thanks!
The Imperial is an upmarket inner-city area, and that's reflected in the menu. It's considered a pub.

My local at Bondi Junction, the Mill Hill, has half a dozen specials on the lunch menu for $10, all the servings are generous, but the menu is not as interesting as the Imperial.

Another example is the Cleveland at Redfern (the nice part, not the scary part!), another large menu and has $12 specials (their menu page appears to be down, which is a shame as it has interesting food)

Find a place and go in for a drink and check out the menu. There's no obligation at all to eat, pubs are basically places just for a drink, so if it's too expensive or you don't fancy anything you can move on to the next place.

Where are you staying or likely to be visiting? There are plenty of FTers from Sydney who'd be happy to give you recommendations, or let you know of places to steer clear of.
Old Jun 7, 13, 7:01 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi View Post

Where are you staying or likely to be visiting? There are plenty of FTers from Sydney who'd be happy to give you recommendations, or let you know of places to steer clear of.
I'll be staying in Pyrmont at a place I found through AirBnB, arrive 25 July in the afternoon. On the 26th I'm going to a wedding, then leave for a dive trip on the morning of the 29th. We haven't given too much thought to where we'll be visiting/sightseeing yet. Won't have a whole lot of time so hoping to maximize this portion of the trip; I've been reading through a lot of the threads here for ideas. I will be meeting up with a few Aussies from Bris & Melbs, only the bride & groom live in Sydney and they will obviously have their hands full dealing with wedding details & their families.

While I certainly want to see some of the main sites - Opera House, Queen Victoria Building, etc. I also enjoy doing what the locals do, and going where the locals go. Not big on the big tourist traps in general. One of the girls wants to do the Harbour Bridge climb - I'll be at the pub cheering her on thank you. I understand the ferry to Manly is a nice & inexpensive way to spend a few hours, as is a walk from the Quay through the gardens that passes by many of the popular sites. I'd like to go to the Maritime Museum, but not sure my friends have much interest in that.

Any suggestions on decent eats would be appreciated! We don't mind paying more for good quality, but are not looking for the fine dining experience during our trip. Oz is the tail end of a nearly 4 week trip - we'll be in NZ for a few weeks before - so money will probably be a little tighter by then.

Thanks you again for all your help. You FT'ers are amazing & helpful!
Old Jun 7, 13, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Morton's seemed to think that they were going to change the face of dining in Sydney , why don't these places do their research - it's like the Starbucks that opened across the road from my favourite coffee place. Guess who is still there while the bad coffee chain is less than a distant memory.
I think you nailed it, they don't do research. It was probably a case of "well there's no upmarket steak houses so the market is ripe for us".

Originally Posted by Wildvet
Just curious...are the food prices at Imperial indicative of pub prices in the Sydney area? Or is this not considered a pub? I'm going to be in Sydney next month and am trying to get an idea of what to expect when eating out.

Thanks!
As Badger says, the prices at the Imperial will tend to be on the higher side. It's been a long time since I was at a pub in Pyrmont but it will be cheaper than Paddington. You might also want to check out Newtown. If you like cheap food, there's some great places there (restaurants and pubs). The Sultan's Table does the best pide in Sydney, imho. And Faheem Fast Food across the road does some very well priced curries.
Old Jun 7, 13, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Wildvet View Post
I'll be staying in Pyrmont at a place I found through AirBnB, arrive 25 July in the afternoon. On the 26th I'm going to a wedding, then leave for a dive trip on the morning of the 29th. We haven't given too much thought to where we'll be visiting/sightseeing yet. Won't have a whole lot of time so hoping to maximize this portion of the trip; I've been reading through a lot of the threads here for ideas. I will be meeting up with a few Aussies from Bris & Melbs, only the bride & groom live in Sydney and they will obviously have their hands full dealing with wedding details & their families.

While I certainly want to see some of the main sites - Opera House, Queen Victoria Building, etc. I also enjoy doing what the locals do, and going where the locals go. Not big on the big tourist traps in general. One of the girls wants to do the Harbour Bridge climb - I'll be at the pub cheering her on thank you. I understand the ferry to Manly is a nice & inexpensive way to spend a few hours, as is a walk from the Quay through the gardens that passes by many of the popular sites. I'd like to go to the Maritime Museum, but not sure my friends have much interest in that.

Any suggestions on decent eats would be appreciated! We don't mind paying more for good quality, but are not looking for the fine dining experience during our trip. Oz is the tail end of a nearly 4 week trip - we'll be in NZ for a few weeks before - so money will probably be a little tighter by then.

Thanks you again for all your help. You FT'ers are amazing & helpful!
There are quite a few pubs at Pyrmont, nothing really stands out in my memory, I had lunch at one in February but I don't recall which - just the first one we came across and from memory I had a roast dinner (beef or lamb) for $10.

While your friend is doing the bridge climb find a pub at The Rocks to wait for her, some lovely old places down there in the oldest original part of Sydney. You'll probably be best to avoid eating at Darling Harbour, near Pyrmont, I've never found it great except for Tinta Ria, but that's overpriced. You should do Yum Cha at Chinatown, which is great fun and cheap unless you are like a useless friend of mine who always insists on ordering at least one dish from a menu as opposed to the trolley (he's a Kiwi and therefore a slow learner...)
Old Jun 8, 13, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
The Lord Nelson in the Rocks is pretty nice. It's one of the oldest pubs in Sydney. They also brew their own beers.

The pie and peas washed down with a pint of Three Sheets.^

If you get a chance, the Hero of Waterloo is a fantastic little pub that "feels" the most Rocks of all the pubs down there. It's tiny and has some great history to it. Including that it has a tunnel that runs down to the Harbour that was used for smuggling rum, and apparently was also used to Shanghai men.

Last edited by bensyd; Jun 8, 13 at 2:05 am
Old Jun 8, 13, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM
Originally Posted by bensyd View Post
The Lord Nelson in the Rocks is pretty nice. ...
And the rooms are pretty cheap (but basic). I stayed there last year and may again this Nov ... will have to try the food this time !
Old Jun 8, 13, 5:14 am

The Harbour Bridge Pylon is a much cheaper alternative to the Bridge Climb, but still has great views and it has an excellent series of displays detailing the engineering and building of the bridge.

Pubs near there that I like are The Glenmore and The Australian but nearest would be The Mercantile which has become something of a generic Irish pub.
Old Jun 8, 13, 10:47 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll never forget "The Australian," because that's where I had my first (and only) half Kangaroo/half Crocodile pizza! Not ever going to be my favorite but a definite "Only in Oz" experience.
Old Jun 8, 13, 11:40 am

Did you tell them to hop to it and make it snappy?
Old Jun 8, 13, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by mandolino View Post
Did you tell them to hop to it and make it snappy?
that's it - I'm calling immigration and demanding that they cancel your visa!
Old Jun 9, 13, 4:59 am

Good luck with that, I have two Australian passports!
Old Jun 9, 13, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by mandolino View Post
Good luck with that, I have two Australian passports!
np, cavity searches then ^
Old Jun 9, 13, 8:33 am

np, cavity searches then ^
Oh no, not again.

I haven't ventured as far as Pyrmont but was staying in Chinatown/Central Station area (or "Thaitown" as they call that bit now) last month and the ever-popular Chat Thai is a good value place that still manages a bit of funky atmosphere.

Another I like (as a solo visitor) is Chilli Cha Cha which still had a BYO licence last time I went there. That's the place for a high quality sit-down meal that won't break the bank.

I stay away from Yum Cha because "you are what you eat" and I'm beginning to resemble one of the trolley items.
I also must learn to stay away from any "tapas" restaurant in Australia/NZ. If the food's good, one plate will cost you as much as a whole night's tapeo in Madrid; if it's cheap, it's reheated packet food.

Last edited by mandolino; Jun 9, 13 at 8:40 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: