Australian Dollar

Old May 31, 13, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mandolino View Post
You can still get surprisingly good wine for under $15/bottle and plenty of drinkable wine under $10, with the odd very good bargain in that range.
Ah, yes, the wine. Again, based on USA prices for Australia wine, that has to be pretty affordable. We're starting our trip in the Adelaide area, so I guess we'll stock up for the road.
Old May 31, 13, 9:39 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
... can I at least buy some affordable steaks at the supermarket? ....
Steaks cost AUD 7 to 15 per lb (remember it is priced at kilograms in the store, so 2.2x that). So quite a bit more expensive than the same Aussie beef shipped to US and sold there But then the cashier serving you at the supermarket in SYD will be making $40K per year instead of the $15K paid in the USA. Cost of business is simply higher in Oz but then so is the quality of life.
Old May 31, 13, 9:41 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Ah, yes, the wine. Again, based on USA prices for Australia wine, that has to be pretty affordable. We're starting our trip in the Adelaide area, so I guess we'll stock up for the road.
Some great wine from the Adelaide Hills, and very cheap as it is under-appreciated plus there is a bit of a wine glut. I can generally get wine that went for $30-40 per bottle pre-GFC for $5-7 a bottle (buying by the case at auction). Beats Napa wines costing $25 quite easily, for example, in terms of taste.
Old Jun 1, 13, 2:55 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
A while ago, a well-known Australian wine commentator called James Halliday put out a free pull-out version of his wine companion in a national daily. Within that supplement, there was a "best under $10" section.

Simultaneously, major wine retailer (Dan Murphy) helpfully flagged those wines on its shelves which made life easy for the budget traveller lacking familiarity with Australian wines (and no exposure to Australian wines overseas will prepare you for the variety and range available locally in Australia).

Unfortunately, the retailer seems to have stopped doing that, so it's back to taking a punt. Hard to go wrong though.
Old Jun 1, 13, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
Steaks cost AUD 7 to 15 per lb (remember it is priced at kilograms in the store, so 2.2x that). So quite a bit more expensive than the same Aussie beef shipped to US and sold there But then the cashier serving you at the supermarket in SYD will be making $40K per year instead of the $15K paid in the USA. Cost of business is simply higher in Oz but then so is the quality of life.
Aw, that's kind of silly, even when you account for wages. It's got to be freakin' expensive to ship beef to the USA. Logic would say is should be cheaper in Australia. Oh, well. Here is the USA, I can often buy Australian NY strips for under $6/lb. and filet mignon for about $7 (typical sale prices). Frankly, the quality isn't as good as USA beef, but the price is good (especially for the filet). I assume the homegrown beef in Australia is better than what they export?

Originally Posted by mandolino View Post
Simultaneously, major wine retailer (Dan Murphy) helpfully flagged those wines on its shelves which made life easy for the budget traveller lacking familiarity with Australian wines (and no exposure to Australian wines overseas will prepare you for the variety and range available locally in Australia).

Unfortunately, the retailer seems to have stopped doing that, so it's back to taking a punt. Hard to go wrong though.
As I mentioned, I'm actually starting my Australia trip with a visit to the Barossa Valley. Are wines a better value at the vineyards, or will I do better just buying the wine in a supermarket?
Old Jun 1, 13, 1:51 pm

The wines at the vineyards will generally be higher quality, so you wouldn't see the supermarket bargain prices there.

It's got to be freakin' expensive to ship beef to the USA
Not really. A container ship full of frozen beef would be pretty cheap transport pound for pound. Australia is said to be the world's biggest meat (i.e not just beef),exporter and pioneered frozen meat shipping to Britain in the 1800s - it was key to the nation's prosperity then and still very important.

Butchers in Australia have suffered from supermarket competition as they have everywhere but you'll still find good individual butchers in most towns who can advise you on the cuts of meat they sell.
Old Jun 2, 13, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I assume the homegrown beef in Australia is better than what they export?
The best Australian beef goes to Asia. Of course you can still get that quality in Australia if you shop around but the standard stuff at supermarkets is not it.
Old Jun 2, 13, 7:27 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by bensyd View Post
The best Australian beef goes to Asia. Of course you can still get that quality in Australia if you shop around but the standard stuff at supermarkets is not it.
^
If you're lucky you'll find something really nice if your supermarket has a little gourmet section hidden away, but otherwise I'd seek out a butcher for the good stuff. David Jones has some nice stuff in their food hall too.

Americans tend to like their steak a bit fattier than we do (yes, I know that a good piece of steak needs some fat), so the quality issue might be about taste as much as about quality.
Old Jun 5, 13, 5:19 am

Oh dear. Here we go ...

These things have a way of becoming self-fulfilling prophecies. You can probably hold off on buying your AUD$ for a while. Expect a brief rebound around the Sep 14th election.
Old Jun 5, 13, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi View Post
^
If you're lucky you'll find something really nice if your supermarket has a little gourmet section hidden away, but otherwise I'd seek out a butcher for the good stuff. David Jones has some nice stuff in their food hall too.

Americans tend to like their steak a bit fattier than we do (yes, I know that a good piece of steak needs some fat), so the quality issue might be about taste as much as about quality.
I live 10 minutes walk from Victor Churchill's so good meat is never too far. Surprsingly, they are often pretty well priced.

I agree re Americans and their fatty steaks.
Old Jun 5, 13, 11:22 pm

I live 10 minutes walk from Victor Churchill's so good meat is never too far. Surprsingly, they are often pretty well priced.

I agree re Americans and their fatty steaks.
I pass Queen St every day to and from work, I need to check them out.

Re fatty steak, do you remember the failed attempt at opening a Morton's (American so-called upscale steak joint) in Sydney a few years ago? It died incredibly quickly - pub counter lunch steak at Rockpool prices.
Old Jun 6, 13, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi View Post
I pass Queen St every day to and from work, I need to check them out.

Re fatty steak, do you remember the failed attempt at opening a Morton's (American so-called upscale steak joint) in Sydney a few years ago? It died incredibly quickly - pub counter lunch steak at Rockpool prices.
I don't, although it doesn't sound like I missed much. Places like Morton's will struggle because pubs in Australia do consistently good food. It's pretty rare to get a bad pub meal. Plus it's a more relaxed atmosphere than something that offers the pretense of fine dining.

Seeing as you're live/work in the area, have you tried the food at the Imperial since it reopened? It's very good.^

Menu here...

http://www.imperialhotelpaddington.c..._Mar13_web.pdf

The slow roasted sandwiches are delicious.
Old Jun 6, 13, 10:35 pm

I don't, although it doesn't sound like I missed much. Places like Morton's will struggle because pubs in Australia do consistently good food. It's pretty rare to get a bad pub meal. Plus it's a more relaxed atmosphere than something that offers the pretense of fine dining.

Seeing as you're live/work in the area, have you tried the food at the Imperial since it reopened? It's very good.^

Menu here...

the Imperial is a bit far to go for lunch, I'm at Bondi Junction, but I might suggest it next time we do something after work. It looks good, thanks for the tip.

Morton's seemed to think that they were going to change the face of dining in Sydney , why don't these places do their research - it's like the Starbucks that opened across the road from my favourite coffee place. Guess who is still there while the bad coffee chain is less than a distant memory.
Old Jun 7, 13, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM
Good economic news in the US ... look out below ! Getting really greedy, but would LOVE a sub .9 AUD !

Keep up the food recos ... love food ideas from the locals

^
Old Jun 7, 13, 12:18 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus

Menu here...

Just curious...are the food prices at Imperial indicative of pub prices in the Sydney area? Or is this not considered a pub? I'm going to be in Sydney next month and am trying to get an idea of what to expect when eating out.

Thanks!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: