Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Practical advice on moving to SYD [from the UK]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2010, 6:37 pm

Regarding the location where will you be working? The road out to cremorne and mosman can be a bit of a nightmare at the best of times so if you have to cummute on it regualarly it may get old very quickly (well, it certainly would for me). Personally I prefer the cameray/naremburn/crows nest area as you still get the cafes and restaurants (crows nest), the great food shopping (northbridge) and none of the nightmare traffic. The fact that these areas are a bit cheaper than mosman is just a bonus.

For the phone I'd just go with telstra, they are a bit more expensive but the difference is only really a few coffees and the coverage/quality of service is much better, telstra is miles better value imo (I'm stuck with vodafone/3 atm and the appalling data speeds and struggling to get signal in places like st leonards and chatswood is unacceptable)
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:07 pm
JSC
Original Poster

I am flying through to BKK on LH so hopefully any problems at FRA are minimised.

Main places I need to get to from the North Shore are Darling Harbour (office) and occasionally early flights from the airport. Is the ferry an option?
Old Dec 30, 2010, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by JSC
I am flying through to BKK on LH so hopefully any problems at FRA are minimised.

Main places I need to get to from the North Shore are Darling Harbour (office) and occasionally early flights from the airport. Is the ferry an option?
If you live in Mosman, Cremorne, Neutral Bay, Kirribilli etc (not Cammeray), then the ferry is definitely an option for travelling to work in the CBD, especially if you live on the southern side of those suburbs (the northern parts of Mosman and Neutral Bay are not so accessible to the ferry wharves). You would have to get from Circular Quay to Darling Harbour, which, depending which part of Darling Harbour you're talking about, would be a 10–15+ minute walk.

For the airport, car or taxi is a more sensible option for early flights, although in theory you could get the ferry and take the train from Circular Quay to the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.