Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2010, 2:42 pm

Location: airports: SFO (lots) OAK (when possible); live: Concord, CA
Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I did it in December having never been to Australia before. This was a special trip so we splurged. However, I would not do it again and if you are on limited time or budget I would not suggest it.

It is sweltering in the jumpsuits (we did it at 9 a.m.) and the prep/safety/suit up time I swear took longer than the actual bridge climb. By the time we were headed back down I was VERY ready for it to be over with and rip off that jumpsuit.

So ... not to put a damper on your plans or going so far as to say I regret doing it, I'm not sure I would recommend it.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Christopher
... Of course, I'm being a sarcastic there, but often a new questioner has his or her own particular needs or slant, and situations change anyway. And part of ordinary human social intercourse is talk and conversation; in a forum, the conversation is written, but it's the conversation, in part at least, that makes it interesting, surely...
All true, but in this case there was nothing in the question to suggest any slant and the situation isn't likely to have changed enough in a few weeks to invalidate what was posted there. (Most of the experiences described in that thread were a lot older, when posted, than the thread itself is now.) A lot of well-informed people went to the trouble of answering exactly the same question within the past two months in the other thread. It seems unlikely that they'd all bother to answer it again in the same detail so soon after.

My suggestion was meant to be constructive, not nasty. I find FT most helpful (and interesting) when questions take earlier but still-relevant posts as a jumping-off point. Apologies if it came across otherwise.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 8:53 am
Community Director Emerita

I've just merged two threads on the Harbour Bridge Climb so that folks can easily benefit from the recent discussion.

SanDiego1K
Senior Mod
Old Oct 9, 2010, 1:24 pm

Any thoughts on the bridgeclimb at daytime vs night vs twilight?
Old Oct 9, 2010, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by met19
Any thoughts on the bridgeclimb at daytime vs night vs twilight?
Sunrise or sunset is the best time. I did it at sunset and it was excellent.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 1:01 am

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
I have 3 passes to the Pylon Lookout, each is worth $9.50, and valid till end of Nov. If you want them, let me know.

When you climb the bridge, you get a free pass to this Lookout. If you don't have time to do the proper climb or think it's a bit pricey. The Pylon Lookout is an alternative.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 6:16 pm

are there any opportunities to save money for this? Will be there in late may/early june and am planning to do it, but of course would love to save a few dollars if possible somehow. Im doubting it though
Old Mar 30, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb (merged)

No discounts that I'm aware of -prices as posted in website /I did it in November at twilight before the rains -was definitely a cool experience to see the Harbour from a different vantage point
Old Apr 1, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: Hilton-Gold
I am visiting in June and paid website price for me & my son. Hope it doesn't rain that day and wash away the experience.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:05 am

Programs: IHG Plat AMB, BA Bronze & QF Silver
I was over in Sydney for a month from Dec - Jan and my fianceé booked us on a dawn climb.
I didn't pay for it, but I believe that the dawn and twilight climbs are more expensive as you get to see the sun rise and set. I don't know how much difference is, but my god is it worth it!

Being on top of such an inconic landmark and getting to watch the sunrise is incredible. We were also lucky that when we were at the summit, we were able to watch a Royal Caribbean Cruise (Rhapsody of the Seas) come into dock at Darling Harbour.

It is quite a long time for the climb as the H&S pre amble takes longer than the climb itself, but when you're climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge, I think allowances can be made for them being paranoid about your H&S.

I also thought that the merchandise was reasonably priced in the shop after.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:55 am

Programs: AC Elite,Hilton Gold, Fairmont Premier
When you do the Bridge Climb they will give you a pass to the Pylon. You might think there's no point doing it but there is - you can get great pictures of other groups doing the bridge climb! I took several pictures from the ground of groups setting out on the catwalk, and from the pylon of groups headed up the long arch after finishing the catwalks and ladders, and these make great explanations or demonstrations of your climb even though you are not in the pictures. And also the views of the harbour are great from up there.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:39 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Is there such a thing as a discount on this climb? We are going to be in Sydney next month... and I know my partner would love doing this!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey
Is there such a thing as a discount on this climb? We are going to be in Sydney next month... and I know my partner would love doing this!
Not as such, that I know of, but prices can differ depending on time of day, type of climb and possibly date of climb, so it's worth exploring their website and possibly also ringing them up if you then have any questions.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Christopher
Not as such, that I know of, but prices can differ depending on time of day, type of climb and possibly date of climb, so it's worth exploring their website and possibly also ringing them up if you then have any questions.
I ended up getting a slight discount for booking through viator. http://www.viator.com/tours/Sydney/S...657BRIDGECLIMB Not sure if its still cheaper though. I did it at sunset during the vivid festival and it was incredible
Old Oct 26, 2014, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by wharvey
You might try this link:

http://www.ozdiscount.com/merchant-B...eals-9499.html

No promises, but it doesn't take long to click. Ignore the $148 deals. For that price you only go halfway up. You might save $10, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.