Hervey Bay (HVB) / Fraser Island

Old Aug 14, 10, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Hervey Bay (HVB) / Fraser Island

My wife and I have booked Sept. 9 - 12 round trip from Sydney to HVB. We plan to do some camping on Fraser Island and we booked a camp site at Central Station. My questions are these:

1. What is the best / most economical way to get to Wanggoolba Creek on Fraser Island? If the answer is the ferry from River Heads what is the best way to get to River Heads?

2. Is the Kingfisher Bay resort worth it? It looks great, and we might want to have a nice place to stay our last night on Fraser but we could also take the ferry back to town and stay at the Ramada. Any recommendations?

3. I love 4WD and I own a Hilux Surf (Toyota 4Runner) but I'm not used to sand and I'm worried I will become another "dumb tourist" stuck in the sand. Would I be crazy to miss the opportunity of driving on Fraser?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 24, 10, 1:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage, QFF, UA, Hyatt, SPG
To get to River Heads, take the Bruce Highway north then the road to Maryborough and follow the signs for Hervey Bay. Near Hervey Bay take a right onto Booral Road (I'm pretty sure it has a sign to River Heads). After about 10km take a right onto River Heads Road.
If you're looking for somewhere nice to stay in Hervey Bay I highly reccommend the Alexander Lakeside B&B.
Old Aug 24, 10, 4:10 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
Just remember to reduce your tyre pressure when driving in sand. Recommended pressures vary so have a look in the vehicle manual but it will probably be 15psi or even less. Also remember you will need to pump them up again when you return to the mainland. I have been told that Kingfisher is nice but I haven't stayed there. Fraser is a wonderful place - try floating down Eli Creek!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: