FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific-461/)
-   -   Which Island in the South Pacific to Visit from SYD? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific/1104921-island-south-pacific-visit-syd.html)

tmm1012 Jul 13, 2010 1:00 am

Which Island in the South Pacific to Visit from SYD?

I will be in Sydney from 4 Aug - 13 Aug, and am looking to swing up to somewhere in the South Pacific for a brief (36-48 hour) trip. I don't really know anything about any of the islands, so I'm hoping for some input from people who have been to some of the islands.

I am a 24 year old male from the US, traveling on my own, mainly looking to enjoy nice beaches, scenic adventures, and hopefully with a decent town as well. Cairns comes to mind as a place that is similar to what I'm possibly looking for --> a laid-back beach town, but still has some bars/nightlife. I'm not necessarily a big backpacker/hiker, but open to some physical adventures.

I have 2 options for booking the side-trip:
(a) Redeem UA miles, so flying on NZ, which does have a fair number of options (i.e. NAN, RAR, TBU, PPT, etc) but like I said, I don't really know anything about those islands.

(b) Find a relatively low cost (<$250 roundtrip) paid fare. The only option I've found for this is Jetstar, which does have convenient SYD-NAN nonstops but it prices out to around $350 roundtrip, so a little above my preferred price range.
Primarily, I'm looking for advice about the islands and what might be the best options for me, but any input on flight options (other low-cost carriers that I don't know about) would be greatly appreciated. ^

Mwenenzi Jul 13, 2010 2:41 am

Just go to north Queensland

DownUnderFlyer Jul 13, 2010 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 14290458)
Just go to north Queensland

+1.

The nearest non-Australian neighbour from SYD is New Caleodonia which doesn't have what you are looking for. Then its New Zealand and then you are talking Fiji, Vanuatu and are soon more than 5 flight hours away already.

So Queensland looks like the place for you. Cairns, Gold Cost or anything in between.

im-headed-west Jul 13, 2010 9:05 am

Which Island in the South Pacific to Visit from SYD?
As others have hinted ... sounds like CNS is good match for your situation (except its not a Pacific Island) and CNS is probably more realistic based on your limited time and additional expense required.

If you're getting to SYD from NA with UA miles and haven't ticketed, then don't forget about the free stopover for UA awards to Aus/NZ ... you just pay the additional taxes, for example:
LAX-SYD-RAR-LAX
LAX-SYD-AKL-HNL/RAR/NAN/TBU/APW(TBU)-LAX

I've got WAS to CNS with a stopover in RAR on the way back ticketed with UA miles ... in C BTW ;). The stopover is a great benefit many folks forget about.

tmm1012 Jul 13, 2010 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by im-headed-west (Post 14291777)
If you're getting to SYD from NA with UA miles and haven't ticketed, then don't forget about the free stopover for UA awards to Aus/NZ ...

Great suggestion to remember - this trip I'm planning is actually from the Tware that UA had last week, and I got a great deal on a paid fare, so unfortunately no stopover.

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer (Post 14291197)
+1.

The nearest non-Australian neighbour from SYD is New Caleodonia which doesn't have what you are looking for. Then its New Zealand and then you are talking Fiji, Vanuatu and are soon more than 5 flight hours away already.

So Queensland looks like the place for you. Cairns, Gold Cost or anything in between.

Thanks for the input so far. Sorry I should have clarified a little more - I've already been to Cairns, the Gold Coast, and Auckland, and am looking to see somewhere new. I have actually found flights through AA on Air Pacific nonstop SYD-NAN and I have just enough miles for that. I don't mind the 4-5 hour flight, and really would like to explore one of the islands. The two best possibilities for I've found thus far are award flights to NAN and RAR, but is RAR what I'm looking for at all? Or is there a better island for what I'm looking for? Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions!

Crocodile Jul 13, 2010 7:25 pm

Not really what you are asking for, but if your budget is tight and can't meet your time requirements, get on a plane to Melbourne instead. It is a great place to see for a day and a half - well within your budget and very different from Sydney. It has a great bar/cafe/food scene.

im-headed-west Jul 13, 2010 7:37 pm

I personally like Rarotonga and will return for my third time in Sept, and probably to Aitutaki also, if my job allows. The Cook Islands interest me because they're uncrowded and inexpensive and really a great place to unwind, but the Cooks are not really like CNS.

On RAR, there's a wide range of accommodations from bunks to high end (very overpriced IMO). There's a bus that circles the island, so a car isn't needed, but a scooter / car is $20 / $45 NZ / day. There's a small grocery store in the "big city" of Avarua and small food shops around the island ... or you can eat at one of a dozen or so restaurants / take aways. There's some swimming, snorkeling, and a few dive operations. With a few exceptions, a crowded beach is 4-5 people. RAR also has a few hiking treks. Haven't done the bar thing there, but RAR does have minimal nightlife in Avarua and there's always a decent number of backpackers in Avarua and near Muri.

For the basics on the South Pacific, check out David Stanley's website. His books and website are excellent.

tmm1012 Jul 14, 2010 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by im-headed-west (Post 14295416)
For the basics on the South Pacific, check out David Stanley's website. His books and website are excellent.

This is great! Thanks! ^

If anyone has any other input, I'd be happy to hear it as well.

DownUnderFlyer Jul 17, 2010 9:59 am

Originally Posted by tmm1012 (Post 14302390)
This is great! Thanks! ^

If anyone has any other input, I'd be happy to hear it as well.

Fiji is nice if you head for the outer islands. However, the really spectacular South Pacific can be found more on the Cook Islands (Aitutaki) than on Fiji. Fiji is the package tourist destination for Australians, the Cook Island are more Pacific Paradise.

number_6 Jul 17, 2010 5:45 pm

The "idyllic" south pacific islands can be tricky; some are slums and industrial sweat shops (Guam is full of imported chinese workers making "made in USA" products) and American Samoa is also quite depressing. There is probably a reason that so many Islanders are living in Auckland, Sydney and even Los Angeles. Yet there are beautiful and even truly idyllic islands in the Pacific, but none of them are viable for a 36-48 hour trips (it takes that long just to get to them, one-way). Some of these islands look more like a superfund (pollution cleanup) candidate site (sadly).

kamchatsky Jul 24, 2010 4:51 am

Or you can just hang around Fiji Beachcomber ... Just a party island ....

http://www.beachcomberfiji.com/

mmack Aug 6, 2010 5:49 pm

Best Island in the Whole World

Hi
Its not tropical, but if you want to go to an island and you are in Sydney, check out Lord Howe Island, about a two hour flight from SYD. We've been several times: it is really the most beautiful place we've ever been to. There is a very good web site for starters...plenty of places to stay, not touristy and beautiful beaches.

DI542 Aug 7, 2010 8:05 am

Originally Posted by mmack (Post 14436233)
Hi
Its not tropical, but if you want to go to an island and you are in Sydney, check out Lord Howe Island ... it is really the most beautiful place we've ever been to.

ditto

number_6 Aug 7, 2010 9:19 am

LDH is not an easy place to visit! For one, you cannot buy an airline ticket to go there unless you have accomodation -- the number of visitors per day is strictly controlled with only 400 tourist beds allowed on the island. Flights are quite expensive too. So there is a price for paradise. I've tried several times to arrange trips on short notice and it was simply impossible. Also 14kg checked baggage limit (and 4kg carryon, often strictly enforced as it is an aircraft performance issue for takeoff from LDH).

DownUnderFlyer Aug 10, 2010 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by number_6 (Post 14438640)
Also 14kg checked baggage limit...

It actually works a bit different in reality. You get the standard allowance however anything above 14kg is not guaranteed and will be standby only. So when going you need to make sure that you have everything you need in the guaranteed part of your luggage.