Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Australia credit card fee

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2010, 9:20 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Pay in coins!
Old Feb 28, 2010, 9:36 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Old Feb 28, 2010, 9:40 pm

Two years ago in Radisson Tallinn (Estonia) I had the opposite experience : 10% surcharge if I wanted to pay cash. It was never mentioned on the website and I was not informed in advance. The receptionist just told me "that's the way it is". So I paid with credit card. I did not follow on the incident as Radisson is not my prime choice when traveling.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:35 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I got slammed with fee policy at the IC in Australia this week for the first time ever. However I also won't return again.I am also glad I didn't stay at the Hilton in Sydney as Sydney is my next destination
The principal of it makes me

In the US one could lose their abilty to accept credit cards for many years for doing so. I do not know what the current rulings are in either country without doing some research
The hotels are acting like desperate flea market merchants......
I say boycott if you can and stay where ever the policy doesn't exist
Its the new energy surcharge in a new disguise
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HeHateY
Pay in coins!
Brilliant idea, but is there any law that says they are not obligated to accept the coins if the bill exceeds a certain amount.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:13 am
Suspended

Programs: confidential
no matter how many complaints are posted online, the merchants still win as all customers still patronise them.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by mario33
Brilliant idea, but is there any law that says they are not obligated to accept the coins if the bill exceeds a certain amount.
There don't have to accept coins over a certain amount. See for example : http://www.rba.gov.au/banknotes/lega...al-tender.html

A pile of $5 banknotes would be nearly as effective, $1000 in $5 notes would probably be about 10cm high ... and they would have to count them right?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 8:32 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
As to the legality of them charging the fees:

Visa, MasterCard and the banks that issue their cards prohibit retailers from charging extra if consumers pay with credit instead of cash, out of fear that more people would use cash if they knew that using plastic would cost more. Where exceptions are allowed, as in some gas stations, retailers must list the cash and credit card prices for each item. In Australia, the central bank overrode the banks’ and card companies’ rules, and authorized surcharges.

From A New York Times story about it a few months ago (which says at Sofitel, they are making a profit off the fees, not just recovering costs, like that's a big shock).
Old Mar 1, 2010, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
On the plus side the hotel did inform me about this upon arrival but none the less they should warn about this fee upon booking a reservation. For most people it will be hard to avoid this sneaky and somewhat hidden fee. It only causes ill will towards the hotel IMHO.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:40 am

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
I tried a dummy booking last night, the fee is now listed in the T&C of the rate.

BTW, I've noticed some really high rate from this hotel recently. $600 to $1000 for a basic room... What are they thinking...? I doubt Sydney is really that short of rooms...
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I now know to pay the Advance Booking rate for all hotels in AUS.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 5:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Utter rubbish! Not to mention unmitigated greed. This does not speak highly of the Australian government's attitude toward tourism.

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
What are you supposed to do with a long stay- have an armoured car deliver the funds at checkout?

Price your product so you can cover your overhead.
Originally Posted by rick253
The Reserve Bank of Australia has permitted merchants to add surcharges on any credit card purchases in Australia. This applies to Visa, Mastercard, Amex and Diners etc.

The intention was to benefit consumers, but it has had the reverse effect, where merchants add surcharges because they can.

Of course if you pay cash, there is no surcharge, but in the case of hotels most people pay by credit card. Sad to see Hilton have joined the band of surchargers.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 6:33 pm

I hate to disappoint all our international friends, but unfortunately this is becoming a lot more commonplace in Australia than you'd like to believe.

Small, medium, large businesses all alike - they have either cut acceptance of Amex/Diners, or levied various surcharges (in some cases, a blanket surcharge on all credit cards, or different surcharge amounts for, say, Visa/MC and Amex/Diners). I went out for dinner last night to a Chinese restaurant and all credit cards were accepted (according to the sticker on the door and on the advert card at the counter). However since our dinner was a "special" (it was just a good price for a meal we saw in the paper), the manager wouldn't accept my credit cards. We had to use cold hard cash.

The only hotels I can think of that don't surcharge are those in the A|C group, Hyatt group and SPG. A large Australian chain of hotels/motels known as the Constellation Group do surcharge for all credit cards. Many non-chain hotels of all star ratings probably don't surcharge either, although Amex/Diners acceptance at those hotels is spotty at best.

All airlines in Australia charge a credit card surcharge.

The main arguments for having the surcharge are (and some of these are actually conceived by kooky Australian customers ):
  • A person who pays cash necessarily "costs less" to the hotel than someone who pays with a credit card, since the latter will cost the hotel a cut of the bill to pay the bank (or whoever processes credit card transactions for them). Someone who pays cash does not incur such costs (and more due to reduced logistics), and thus should have to pay less than a credit card user.
  • Customers are asking for a lot more transparency as to what their money is being used for. Unfortunately, they are getting more than they bargained for. (Perhaps some things are better not said than said at all).

We have a weak consumer protection in this regard. I realise that sometimes consumers can be complete PITAs and don't deserve any good service even if it were to nip them in the butt, but in this case this is just heavy handed tactics by businesses which can easily account for the merchant fees in their bottom line, and the regulatory bodies and consumer affairs offices are lackadaisical to do anything (except maybe crack open another bl**dy cold beer....)
Old Mar 21, 2010, 7:14 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

This is probably a topic that should be discussed by all FlyerTalk members and not just Hilton forum FlyerTalk members who book hotel rooms in Australia, which is why the new home for this thread is now the TravelBuzz! forum.

Thank you.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Hilton forum

Last edited by Canarsie; Mar 21, 2010 at 7:30 pm
Old Mar 21, 2010, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

a large hotel chain probably has a negotiated rate with the credit card company, which is probably around 1.5%. an independent merchant is probably stuck with a 3% fee, by the time all is said and done. they are only passing their additional expense on to the buyer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.