MyMulti tickets

Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
MyMulti tickets

I understand these will replace TravelPass from April 18th 2010. I usually purchase the Green TravelPass when I am in Sydney. Am I correct in thinking that from April it will cost $41 for a weekly MyMulti 1 ticket which would permit me to take the ferry between Circular Quay and Manly? Also regarding buses am I correct in thinking this will permit me to take the buses up to the northern beaches or will I have to purchase the MyMulti 2 ticket? I must say the names of these new tickets do sound a little strange. What's wrong with TravelPass?
Old Feb 11, 2010, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
They've reworked the zoning, I think train zone bands have been reduced from 20 to 5 and ferries from 5 to 2. The tickets work out cheaper unless you live in the Eastern suburbs, but I guess as we're not in Labor heartland we can afford the higher prices.

Good to have a whinge for my 3000th post!

Last edited by bensyd; Feb 11, 2010 at 1:20 am
Old Feb 11, 2010, 8:40 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Strawb
I understand these will replace TravelPass from April 18th 2010. I usually purchase the Green TravelPass when I am in Sydney. Am I correct in thinking that from April it will cost $41 for a weekly MyMulti 1 ticket which would permit me to take the ferry between Circular Quay and Manly? Also regarding buses am I correct in thinking this will permit me to take the buses up to the northern beaches or will I have to purchase the MyMulti 2 ticket? I must say the names of these new tickets do sound a little strange. What's wrong with TravelPass?
It's actually a very good way of doing it, and for tourists, it will be a Godsend.

They are basically switching to either myTrain, myBus or myFerry which, for short term travellers, will work out better.

Where it gets interesting is for the longer term traveller, who gets into the myMulti product.

Basically, a myMulti will include travel on ALL buses (both government and privately operated) and ferry services, the only difference will be the rail component (which will tell you whether you want a myMulti1, myMulti2 or a myMulti3) - the different product will tell you which rail component you get, you will get total bus and ferry regardless of the product.

Works out good for those wishing to undertake day trips, as the myMulti3 Day ticket ($20) will cover EVERYWHERE - Blue Mountains, Southern Highlands, Newcastle, etc., whereas the DayTripper never used to cover this.

Dave
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:34 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by Strawb
MyMulti one allows unlimited travel on all ferries, and all buses (both Government and Private), so yes the MyMulti one covers you for both.

As for name, I am guessing a new intergrated ticketing system and new price structure so to differentiate from teh TravelPass.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Originally Posted by bensyd
They've reworked the zoning, I think train zone bands have been reduced from 20 to 5 and ferries from 5 to 2. The tickets work out cheaper unless you live in the Eastern suburbs, but I guess as we're not in Labor heartland we can afford the higher prices.

Good to have a whinge for my 3000th post!
How do you work this? For Eastern Suburbs residents the default was Travel Pass red at 41 bucks... (as most want to get bus to the junction then train I would think).. So now you need a My Multi 1 which is 41 bucks... But now you get the Manly Ferry which you didn't before.. I mean same price but in theory slightly better value, I mean clearly we are subsidizing the Coasties etc but we always have and always willl

The Manly Ferry bit is great when we have visitors as we always used to get them a TravelPass red and say this is good for all tourist things you want to do except Manly...
Old Feb 12, 2010, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://wentworth-courier.whereilive....-under-myzone/

Manly ferry is useless to 95% of us, and I'm sure the government knows that. I guess if you used a red-travel pass then you were OK, but a lot of people don't and the cost of the blue will now be the same (albeit with rail included).
Old Feb 12, 2010, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by bensyd
http://wentworth-courier.whereilive....-under-myzone/

Manly ferry is useless to 95% of us, and I'm sure the government knows that. I guess if you used a red-travel pass then you were OK, but a lot of people don't and the cost of the blue will now be the same (albeit with rail included).
We can all afford it though right This zoning is a least a step in the right directions towards implementing a proper electronic ticketing system.. Although I still have no confidence in this..
Old Feb 12, 2010, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Originally Posted by simong
We can all afford it though right This zoning is a least a step in the right directions towards implementing a proper electronic ticketing system.. Although I still have no confidence in this..
I immediately equated the cheaper (for most people in the heartland electorates) tickets as an outright bribe for the next election.

Electronic ticketing (especially if you mean integrated ticketing across all modes & ownership of public transport) seems to be put in the too-hard basket.

The integrated ticketing should make things easier for visitors to Sydney, tourists and most locals who will do well to buy quarterly tickets for decent savings.

FYI aside from the top story in today's SMH on the future of public transport, their 'commentator' Miranda Devine's column is an interesting read.

Could we see yet another internal fail from the opposition, in time for the election?

Small targets and no bold vision [SMH]

...But what is fair to say about the NSW Liberals is that the ill-discipline of the Hawke-Clarke row indicates premature hubris has set in, with some party apparatchiks banking so much on winning office they're said already to be making plans for dividing the spoils of government.

Liberal ...MPs talk about "when", not "if", they win the 2011 election, and the emphasis is on not making mistakes rather than inspiring the masses with a clear vision of what they stand for.

Out of the jaws of victory, some people can always seize defeat. It's been the modus operandi of the NSW Liberal Party for a while.
(Though how many Lib voters really bother with SMH? )
Old Feb 13, 2010, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simong
Of course we can!

I know a few people who drive to Rose Bay wharf and then catch the ferry to work, the cost of their weekly has basically gone up 30%. There's no way they'd be doing that to the West.

Originally Posted by BiziBB
Electronic ticketing (especially if you mean integrated ticketing across all modes & ownership of public transport) seems to be put in the too-hard basket.
Gees I can remember back in the mid-90's Keycorp was developing an electronic system, I guess if we had something like the Olympics again then the government might try and implement it, but really since 2000 transport has been allowed to wither on the vine.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 9:14 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
As a tourist outsider observing the SYD transit system, it is a shambles in some respects, primarily due to the over reliance on buses; in other respects it is great. Even the buses make for very scenic tourist travel on some routes (those windy residential routes to the eastern beaches). They really need to get low-pollution technology of some sort (maybe hybrid buses, or at least LNG ones), and ban cars from a few key roads. Of course that will be tremendously popular

Quite a contrast to Melbourne which has a much better transit system; took me a while to realize that what makes it work are the trams, and the street life that the trams promote. Great study of the difference that trams make, in what would otherwise be quite similar cities (both have natural barriers that transit has to overcome, also the train network seems to be twice the density in Melbourne than in Sydney).

Also, isn't MEL introducing Myki (a stored value card like Octopus in HKG)? I guess this is in no way related to the MyMulti etc. tickets, except for the My name similarity.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:43 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by number_6
As a tourist outsider observing the SYD transit system, it is a shambles in some respects, primarily due to the over reliance on buses; in other respects it is great. Even the buses make for very scenic tourist travel on some routes (those windy residential routes to the eastern beaches). They really need to get low-pollution technology of some sort (maybe hybrid buses, or at least LNG ones), and ban cars from a few key roads. Of course that will be tremendously popular

Quite a contrast to Melbourne which has a much better transit system; took me a while to realize that what makes it work are the trams, and the street life that the trams promote. Great study of the difference that trams make, in what would otherwise be quite similar cities (both have natural barriers that transit has to overcome, also the train network seems to be twice the density in Melbourne than in Sydney).

Also, isn't MEL introducing Myki (a stored value card like Octopus in HKG)? I guess this is in no way related to the MyMulti etc. tickets, except for the My name similarity.
Majority of the Government buses in Sydney are low emission vehicles, likewise all new private buses.
Wouldn't be holding your breath for Myki to be rolled out across Melbourne, seems to be delay after delay getting it operational.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by number_6
and ban cars from a few key roads.
Such as?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 10:28 am

Programs: DL-DM, Hilton-Dia
MyMulti vs Sydney Pass. Which is better for visitors?

The new system has been operating for more than a week now. How is it working for international visitors? I will arrive from the USA in July. The last trip I purchased the SydneyPass. It was ok, but rather expensive since I was in the CBD & walked to most places. I will be in the same area of the city again. Any advise on what is best?
Thanks!

Originally Posted by thadocta
It's actually a very good way of doing it, and for tourists, it will be a Godsend.

They are basically switching to either myTrain, myBus or myFerry which, for short term travellers, will work out better.

Where it gets interesting is for the longer term traveller, who gets into the myMulti product.

Basically, a myMulti will include travel on ALL buses (both government and privately operated) and ferry services, the only difference will be the rail component (which will tell you whether you want a myMulti1, myMulti2 or a myMulti3) - the different product will tell you which rail component you get, you will get total bus and ferry regardless of the product.

Works out good for those wishing to undertake day trips, as the myMulti3 Day ticket ($20) will cover EVERYWHERE - Blue Mountains, Southern Highlands, Newcastle, etc., whereas the DayTripper never used to cover this.

Dave
Old Apr 25, 2010, 10:51 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by 1Banker
The new system has been operating for more than a week now. How is it working for international visitors? I will arrive from the USA in July. The last trip I purchased the SydneyPass. It was ok, but rather expensive since I was in the CBD & walked to most places. I will be in the same area of the city again. Any advise on what is best?
Thanks!
MyMulti3 will cost you $57 for a weekly, and include ALL government buses (apart from the tourist buses), private buses, government ferries and CityRail trains (although an AirportLink surcharge is still payable) - extremely goof value, IMNSHO.

Check out the website, MyZone for a full rundown of the system. Ignore MyTrain, MyBus and MyFerry, you want MyMulti. A MyMulti1 or MyMulti2 might suit your needs, but the MyMulti3 will allow you to make day trips to the Central Coast/Newcastle, Blue Mountains, Southern Highlands and South Coast if you decide to go there [and the scenery on all three electrified lines - Lithgow, Newcastle and Kiama (and onwards to Nowra)] is simply stunning.

Dave
Old Apr 26, 2010, 5:37 am

As an aside sources indicate the tourist buses, Sydney Explorer and Bondi Explorer are to be axed in the next few months.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.