Chartering a Plane from Fiji to Niue

Old Jan 31, 10, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Chartering a Plane from Fiji to Niue

I've got a trip to Fiji coming up in a few weeks and would like to take a one day side-trip to Niue.

The only scheduled service to Niue is on NZ through AKL (one flight per week), so I have ruled out that option.

1. Is it possible to charter a plane from NAN (or any airport in Fiji) to Niue for a day trip?

2. If so, about how much would it cost?

There would be two travelers so a small Piper or Cessna would be preferred to keep fuel costs down.

Thanks.
Old Feb 1, 10, 2:21 am

The range required might be a problem....

NAN-IUE is supposed to be 898 miles... which means the only "small" Cessnas that could theoretically make it are the Skylane and Turbo Skylane...

No idea about the overwater rules for such aircraft but that is a LOOONG overwater flight in a piston single IMO !!!

The Cessna Caravan could do it theoretically too... but I imagine the cost would start climbing steeply there!

Interesting question!!!!! ^
Old Feb 1, 10, 12:14 pm
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Given how few flights IUE gets there may also be issues about opening the airport?

If you're wanting to visit a new country, then check out if your schedule works for Fiji to Kiribati or Tuvalu. Both are hard to get to places with commercial flights only from Fiji.
Old Feb 1, 10, 11:07 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Pricing at NAN for plane charter is USD 2000 per hour and up (multi-engine turboprop or light jet), so you are looking at over USD 10,000 for this charter. Is that the price point you had in mind?

Alternatively there are several light seaplanes that cost much less per hour but don't think they would accept this mission (they do up to 200 mile flights to resorts within Fiji, landing on the beach).
Old Feb 2, 10, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
Pricing at NAN for plane charter is USD 2000 per hour and up (multi-engine turboprop or light jet), so you are looking at over USD 10,000 for this charter. Is that the price point you had in mind?
N

But thanks for the info.

I guess I will have to forgo Niue.

As Kiwi Flyer suggested, I'll look into Kiribati or Tuvalu. I like the Niue flag so much more, though...

(Great reason to visit a country, huh?)
Old Feb 2, 10, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
Pricing at NAN for plane charter is USD 2000 per hour and up (multi-engine turboprop or light jet), so you are looking at over USD 10,000 for this charter.
May I ask where you obtained this info?
Old Feb 2, 10, 6:31 pm
Original Member

http://www.stratosjets.com/jet-chart...Fiji/NADI-INTL
Old Feb 11, 10, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Are walk-up tickets any cheaper than pre-reserved tickets on Air Pacific?

Geez, it's almost cheaper to charter the plane...
Old Feb 11, 10, 6:19 pm
Original Member

FJ often has last-minute upgrade fares for Tuba class which are considerably cheaper than the normal fares, but I don't know if they have standby fares for coach that are cheaper. Generally walk-up coach fares are more expensive than advance purchase.
Old Feb 13, 10, 9:14 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Another option for a one-day, one-country side trip from Fiji would be Tonga. A day is easily enough to see Nukualofa and the rest of Tongatapu island.
Old Feb 19, 10, 3:47 am

def do Tuvalu! Very interesting country and it wont be too long before it disappears (rising sea levels)!
Old Mar 2, 10, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your responses--in the end I just stuck around Fiji for the entire trip.

If you haven't been there, I highly recommend it.

I wish there was an easier way to hit Kiribati, Tuvalu, Tonga, or Niue on a single trip; flight schedules prohibited me from working in any side destinations.
Old Feb 27, 14, 10:57 am

Programs: UA Global Services 2MM, DL Diamond, AmEx Cent, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Moms love me
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
I wish there was an easier way to hit Kiribati, Tuvalu, Tonga, or Niue on a single trip; flight schedules prohibited me from working in any side destinations.
October

That said, I'm giving Niue a miss - it's just too difficult to fit in.
Old Feb 27, 14, 2:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The last post is four years old; FT Guidelines and Rules include rules that we not revive threads that have had no activity in two years due to information obsolescence. We'll now close this thread, as significant information is obsolete and / or incorrect.

KDiver
Senior Moderator
Old Feb 28, 14, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
The last post is four years old; FT Guidelines and Rules include rules that we not revive threads that have had no activity in two years due to information obsolescence.
If that is the rule, and I think it is a good one, why aren't old threads automatically closed/locked?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: