Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Deciphering fare codes -- XAP, XPX, etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2009, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd

NW fares list a hierarchy, and while I've managed to piece together some information, I haven't found a comprehensive list anywhere. Does anyone know what the following translate to?

FARE TYPE HEIRARCHY ...
FR/FU
FX/FOX
BR/BU
BX/BOX
BAP
BXN
ER/EU
XEX
XES
XAP ----- XPX
XAW ----- XPS
XAN ----- XPL
XAB ----- XPB
XAC ----- XPY
XAT ----- XPF
XBB ----- XPV/XPN
XBN ----- XPC
From what I understand, E is normal economy, B is business, F is first, and X is an economy excursion fare? But what then is XAP or XAX (or BAP / BXN)? E.g. what are the 2nd (and third) letters representing?
Old Sep 23, 2009, 2:32 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
The first letter is usually the fare bucket. "Bxxxxx" is a "B" fare, which is an expensive but flexible economy fare, not business. (J, C, Z fares are paid biz, P and F are paid first). The rest of the letters are some code that basically encapsulates the fare rules (whether stopovers are allowed, whether open jaws are allowed, if changes can be made, if the ticket is refundable, how far in advance it has to be purchased, travel permitted on what days of the week, Sat night requirement, etc.)

To my knowledge, the code can not be "deciphered" just by looking at it (it's not something like... if the third letter is "G" then one open jaw is allowed), rather it corresponds to a code in NW's database. There is a limited number of fare codes and these apply to many, many reservations. I don't know of a [public] place where you can find all of them; normally you can look up the fare rules for an itin before purchasing it most websites.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 7:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List & CP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
While each carrier uses its own symbols to represent the full fare basis code, IATA Resolution 728 has some guidelines that are followed by some airlines.

http://www.atpco.net/atpco/download/rbd_iata_res728.pdf
Old Sep 23, 2009, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
Wow, I wish all my upcoming R flights were supersonic Thanks for the reference though, as this does seem to explain most of it. So, XAB would then translate to a low level advance purchase excursion fare... my curiosity has been sufficiently satisfied

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.