FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   Is NWA.COM Award Res really going away Oct 1? Are we sure? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/997890-nwa-com-award-res-really-going-away-oct-1-we-sure.html)

RealHJ Sep 22, 2009 9:33 pm

Is NWA.COM Award Res really going away Oct 1? Are we sure?

It seems that everyone here pretty much is assuming that come Oct 1st, WorldPerks murder date, nwa.com award reservations will be no more.

But, at the same time, we are sure and know for a fact that nwa.com will still operate and 012 tickets will be still issued until the Single Ops Certificate (spring 2010 likely). So, we know that revenue tickets will be still sold on nwa.com into early 2010 at least.

And also isn't it that DL will be using the NW back-end loyalty management program, so actually SkyMiles is being transferred over to the NW back-end loyalty program (and not vice versa), isn't it?

If both of these things are true, then I would interpret things such as

The policies pertaining to Award Ticket ticketing time limit and the processing of mileage and Systemwide Upgrades will be based on the airline system that is issuing the ticket.
on delta.com to mean that BOTH DL.COM and NW.COM award ticketing engines will be still running concurrently until early next year. The only difference is that instead of logging in with our 9 digit WP number we will log in with our 10-digit SM number into NWA.COM as of Oct 1st (as the back-end loyalty program stays the same as it is now, isn't it?). So instead of transferring miles WP to SM or vice versa as we could do up to end of August (to make award bookings on NW or DL), now it will be the same log-in to DL.COM ad NW.COM, but both sites operating still their respective revenue and award booking engines separately.

Also, this is what NW CS told me yesterday, which also seems to further re-enforce this:

You will be able to book award travel reservations on nwa.com through the end of the day September 30, 2009. We define "end of the day" as 11:59PM at the city in which the booking is taking place. Beyond that time, you will need to use your SkyMiles number for award booking on nwa.com at the current mileage levels displayed online.
Again it implies that NWA.COM award booking engine will remain as is (just not sure will it be populated with the far higher DL award level mileage levels (which are NOT displayed online, for the most part) or not -- hopefully the not-too-bright DL management don't do that, they seem to be so clueless as not to even be aware of the gaping up-to-two-fold disrepancies in mileage award levels between the two programs), just that we will need to use the SM # instead of WP # to log into it.

To me, that is how I read it. Or am I wrong and missing something? (Or may be it's just wishful thinking, wishing that far-superior-to-DL-in-[almost]every-way NW award booking engine stays up for at least a few months longer.)

thezipper Sep 23, 2009 3:58 am

The end is near... don't wait until the last minute...

avidflyer Sep 23, 2009 5:59 am

Originally Posted by RealHJ (Post 12422744)
It seems that everyone here pretty much is assuming that come Oct 1st, WorldPerks murder date, nwa.com award reservations will be no more.

But, at the same time, we are sure and know for a fact that nwa.com will still operate and 012 tickets will be still issued until the Single Ops Certificate (spring 2010 likely). So, we know that revenue tickets will be still sold on nwa.com into early 2010 at least.

And also isn't it that DL will be using the NW back-end loyalty management program, so actually SkyMiles is being transferred over to the NW back-end loyalty program (and not vice versa), isn't it?

If both of these things are true, then I would interpret things such as on delta.com to mean that BOTH DL.COM and NW.COM award ticketing engines will be still running concurrently until early next year. The only difference is that instead of logging in with our 9 digit WP number we will log in with our 10-digit SM number into NWA.COM as of Oct 1st (as the back-end loyalty program stays the same as it is now, isn't it?). So instead of transferring miles WP to SM or vice versa as we could do up to end of August (to make award bookings on NW or DL), now it will be the same log-in to DL.COM ad NW.COM, but both sites operating still their respective revenue and award booking engines separately.

Also, this is what NW CS told me yesterday, which also seems to further re-enforce this:
Again it implies that NWA.COM award booking engine will remain as is (just not sure will it be populated with the far higher DL award level mileage levels (which are NOT displayed online, for the most part) or not -- hopefully the not-too-bright DL management don't do that, they seem to be so clueless as not to even be aware of the gaping up-to-two-fold disrepancies in mileage award levels between the two programs), just that we will need to use the SM # instead of WP # to log into it.

To me, that is how I read it. Or am I wrong and missing something? (Or may be it's just wishful thinking, wishing that far-superior-to-DL-in-[almost]every-way NW award booking engine stays up for at least a few months longer.)

There are people here who know and have given solid advice...It is going away so book soon f you have flights you need....very soon.

itsaboutthejourney Sep 23, 2009 12:34 pm

keep hoping RealHJ!

The fact that PerkChoice is going away tells me booking is shifting over to delta.dumb

vanduse1 Sep 23, 2009 4:14 pm

Why book on nwa.com?

I'm a bit confused why everyone is suggesting having your award tickets booked ASAP. I need an award ticket for the Christmas Holiday. My WP account has aprox 80,000 miles in it and when I price the trip on nwa.com it is 60,000 miles. When I price the trip on delta.com the flights on DL would be 40,000 round trip and the flight on NW (Booked from delta.com) is coming up at 50,000 round trip.

Are there other concens/issues I should be aware of that would make me want to book early or am is my scenrio just an exception?

RealHJ Sep 23, 2009 4:36 pm

You are the exception. For most routes Delta has higher (up to twice higher) award mileage levels than NWA.

For example, Hawaii to Asia is 35,000 one-way (70,000 round trip) for World Business Class on NWA.com. However, on Delta.com the same thing is 70,000 one way (140,000 round trip) -- exactly double!

Others are also similar and just as bad.

Sometimes you may get a lower mileage on DL, but 9 out of 10 times it'll be higher on DL than NW.