50 minutes in AMS enough time?

Old Sep 21, 09, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Gold, UA Premier
50 minutes in AMS enough time?

Greetings:
First time flying DTW-CPH on NWA/KLM with a 50 minute layover/plane change in AMS; I am flying for a cruise leaving out of CPH so I can not miss the flight from AMS. What I need to know is 50 minutes enough time or should I make a different reservation. The next flight from AMS to CPH is a 1 hour 40 minute layover. I have never flown thru AMS before and appreciate your advice.
Old Sep 21, 09, 6:30 am

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
50 minutes in AMS could be enough time IF there are no issues. On some transfers in AMS you have to go through passport control and security again to change terminals. I have seen very long lines there esp early morning. However, if I have a cruise to take, I would NEVER chance a tight connection. I actually go in a day early for cruises just to make sure there are no issues. I learned that the hard way! The other issue of a tight connection is the possibility of your luggage not making the transfer. A cruise with no luggage would not be a lot of fun.
Old Sep 21, 09, 6:34 am

Programs: FB Silver, MR Platinum (Life), EK Silver, DL, UA Premier, BA, HH Gold, A3 *Silver
Hi Weaselwatchr,

50 minutes will definitely be tight, as you will have to go through immigration and security in AMS (as you are entering the Schengen space). There is a special line for short connections, but it really requires your DTW flight to be on time.

As DaChief has already stated, it could also be tight for luggage.

I would go with your option B with the 1h40 layover.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Sep 21, 09, 6:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by weaselwatchr View Post
Greetings:
First time flying DTW-CPH on NWA/KLM with a 50 minute layover/plane change in AMS; I am flying for a cruise leaving out of CPH so I can not miss the flight from AMS. What I need to know is 50 minutes enough time or should I make a different reservation. The next flight from AMS to CPH is a 1 hour 40 minute layover. I have never flown thru AMS before and appreciate your advice.
As long as my DTW flights leave on time, I've made every connection at AMS on my flights to CPH using your routing(s) and even my checked luggage makes the transfer.

Given that you have an important appointment on arrival into CPH, I'd suggest padding more time if there is no penalty to change the reservation since delays out of DTW do happen often enough to mess up transfers.
Old Sep 21, 09, 7:13 am

Programs: NW GE
I had a 50 min connection MSP-AMS-LHR this spring and almost missed it. Flight left on time but we took an extra 30 mins due to strong winds. I (and a bunch of other people on the flight) ran and barely (no passport control) made the flight. Our luggage did not.

Even 1:40 is a bit tight for a cruise connection... why not go in the day before? You want 2+ flights between your scheduled arrival and the time you absolutely must be at the cruise ship.
Old Sep 22, 09, 7:40 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
What time of the day? Early mornings and late evenings can be chaotic as you clear the Schengen immigration formalities...

No matter what time of the day, I would personally not take a chance and miss a cruise.
Old Sep 22, 09, 7:56 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Whenever I take a tour or a cruise, I always leave at least a day cushion time. I had planned two days in Beijing this summer before starting a tour and our plane was delayed about 20 hours. I had wanted the extra time to adjust for jet lag. We got in, made it into Beijing, ate dinner and then left the next day. If you can, add an extra day in CPH. You won't be sorry. There is just too much that can go wrong. At least for me, I spend so much time worry about whether I'll make the connection that I can't enjoy (if one ever enjoys) the flight.
Old Sep 22, 09, 8:19 pm

Any type of cruise situation you should pad the time. The boat isn't going to wait and even most travel insurance has exceptions that require 24hrs pad between air and boat travel.

Search this Thread