Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Does Diamond Status reflect immediately for WP members?

Old Sep 20, 09, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SM Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Omni Black, Skywards Silver, Flavours Silver

I am about to make my next transcon, and will make the 125k for the new Diamond. However, I am wondering if I will show as a Diamond online for WP, and also if the benefits will kick in immediately (i.e. 125% bonus, etc). Anyone already qualified for Diamond under their WP number? Notice any changes or is it just like being a Plat but just with more EQMs?

Last edited by ydemel; Sep 20, 09 at 2:32 pm
Old Sep 20, 09, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by ydemel View Post
I am about to make my next transcon, and will make the 125k for the new Diamond. However, I am wondering if I will show as a Diamond online for WP, and also if the benefits will kick in immediately (i.e. 125% bonus, etc). Anyone already qualified for Diamond under their WP number? Notice any changes or is it just like being a Plat but just with more EQMs?
You will not show Diamond anywhere until March of 2010 when it starts. You are qualifying now for the benefit but it does not begin until next March.
Old Sep 20, 09, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
You will not show Diamond anywhere until March of 2010 when it starts. You are qualifying now for the benefit but it does not begin until next March.
Not even then. Implementation won't happen until sometime in "Spring 2010". Until then you'll be a PLat with all of its rights and privileges.
Old Sep 20, 09, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
Not even then. Implementation won't happen until sometime in "Spring 2010". Until then you'll be a PLat with all of its rights and privileges.
I thought I read in one of Jeff's emails that the "spring" they are referring to is the start of the new program in March.
Old Sep 20, 09, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.3 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium
I thought I read in one of Jeff's emails that the "spring" they are referring to is the start of the new program in March.
I that is what I found in my email archives.
Old Sep 21, 09, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Plat, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
We'll see. Plat waivers were March, didn't get implemented til May. Integration is Oct 1, we'll see how that goes.

Mar 1, 2010, we'll see about that.
Old Sep 21, 09, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
We'll see. Plat waivers were March, didn't get implemented til May. Integration is Oct 1, we'll see how that goes.

Mar 1, 2010, we'll see about that.
I think they better get it done. They have announced a program that runs 3/1-2/28. Lots of people have qualified so now they need to deliver. I think there will be some very upset Diamonds if they are told the program year (just for them) is reduced by 2 months.
Old Sep 21, 09, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I think they better get it done. They have announced a program that runs 3/1-2/28. Lots of people have qualified so now they need to deliver. I think there will be some very upset Diamonds if they are told the program year (just for them) is reduced by 2 months.
The DL SWU-loving customers -- which are but a small minority of even the 75k+ MQM DL customers -- might not be upset if it's the delay which is allowing them to get the Platinum/Diamond "choice benefit(s)" and that may end up giving them more DL systemwide upgrades than they would otherwise have. Then again those customers are an endangered species, even as DL is hoping to survive on the flesh and blood of this endangered species of DL customers.
Old Sep 21, 09, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I think the goal is March 1, but they are leaving them selves some wiggle room in case they have glitches. I mean what would be worse give people DM and then find out the upgrade system does not include them.
Old Sep 21, 09, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by troyintn View Post
I think the goal is March 1, but they are leaving them selves some wiggle room in case they have glitches. I mean what would be worse give people DM and then find out the upgrade system does not include them.
I just think that this is the first hard date they have had; that is; the program year begins in March as it always has. All of the other dates were just picked based on what they thought they could do...this date is the start of the new year. Hopefully they don't miss it but, yes, I would rather wait than Miss my upgrades for sure.
Old Sep 21, 09, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Delta has been very careful with their wording of the Diamond roll out..."Spring 2010". It can't get any more clear and muddy at the same time.

I do not expect them to have Diamond rolled out on March 1. March 1 isn't even in the spring time. I suspect all of us who have qualified for Diamond will receive DL Plat packages in February and then we'll be mailed Diamond cards when they're available in "Spring 2010".

People on this board will have a varying opinions on this - but should DL roll out the features they can by March 1 and make the rest "best effort" or should they not roll out Diamond elite until all of the announced benefits are available? You're always going to upset some crowd.

-RM
Old Sep 21, 09, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
I think it would be very strange for DL to mail out plat cards only to then re-mail a bunch of Diamond cards. Added cost. Hopefully there aren't that many diamonds, but I'm rather skeptical. It wouldn't surprise me if they mailed out DM cards but not all the benefits were available on 3/1.
Old Sep 22, 09, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
In one sense, I'm glad Delta announced the Diamond program now, because the new EQM rollover provision definitely encouraged me to keep flying NW/DL rather than to jump ship in summer and earn Premier Executive status on United.

Still, it is a bit like torture to have this new benefit "dangling" out there for those of us who would have already qualified for Diamond status back in July. This is the first time I've been in a frequent flyer program where I'm basically told you have to wait 8 months plus to take advantage of the benefits you already earned. Next trip on Friday I'll be nudging up on 170K EQM for the year, not sure yet if I'll be able to break 200K EQM by December 31. It will depend on whether my employer will let me fly DL on some upcoming European trips or whether I'll be stuck on United. This year's amount of travel is definitely above my norm; since I won't be flying this much every year, I'm just a little sorry I'm flying so frequently in a year when I receive no Diamond status benefits.
Old Sep 22, 09, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAXRuss View Post
In one sense, I'm glad Delta announced the Diamond program now, because the new EQM rollover provision definitely encouraged me to keep flying NW/DL rather than to jump ship in summer and earn Premier Executive status on United.

Still, it is a bit like torture to have this new benefit "dangling" out there for those of us who would have already qualified for Diamond status back in July. This is the first time I've been in a frequent flyer program where I'm basically told you have to wait 8 months plus to take advantage of the benefits you already earned. Next trip on Friday I'll be nudging up on 170K EQM for the year, not sure yet if I'll be able to break 200K EQM by December 31. It will depend on whether my employer will let me fly DL on some upcoming European trips or whether I'll be stuck on United. This year's amount of travel is definitely above my norm; since I won't be flying this much every year, I'm just a little sorry I'm flying so frequently in a year when I receive no Diamond status benefits.
Wrong!

This is the PERFECT year to fly this much. You need to try and get to 250k and you will have Diamond LOCKED UP through 3/2012 without flying a single mile over the next 2 years! Think ROLLOVER!
Old Sep 22, 09, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by LAXRuss View Post
Still, it is a bit like torture to have this new benefit "dangling" out there for those of us who would have already qualified for Diamond status back in July.
It doesn't happen often - but is quite frequent. You probably haven't paid attention to it. For example - all the CO elites who qualified for Star Alliance elite won't be getting benefits until later this year. Plus a lot of programs (frequent flyer, credit card, workplace etc.) don't pay out bonuses until after a certain period. So there are common analogies out there. It generally happens when 1 FF program flips alliances.

Airlines generally allow immediate updated benefits because they want you to immediately fly more. DL has done this by dangling the "rollover miles" carrot since they haven't ironed everything out with the Diamond Tier.

Last edited by bmchris; Sep 22, 09 at 3:58 pm

Search this Thread