FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   One Star Hotel Type Breakfast now the Norm in First (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/996770-one-star-hotel-type-breakfast-now-norm-first.html)

GaryDD Sep 20, 2009 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by CalDeltaFlyer (Post 12407386)
GrizShel,
I fly the first leg DCA-MSP every other week, and you're right you get a choice of cold cereal, yoghurt and a bagel. You're problem is you need to fly a bit further, i.e. the West Coast, then you get a hot breakfast...or as a 2nd choice the famous cold breakfast. It has to do with miles flown and time of day, etc.
WinkDaddy provided this link.
First class:
https://www.delta.com/traveling_chec....../dining.jsp:rolleyes:

The point is it didn't use to be this way, I have flown 8 years on NW and it wasn't until March of this year that I started getting cold cereal for breakfast and a cold sandwich for dinner on flights of 2 hours. It use to be a choice of cereal and a cheese omlete (that i miss), and a choice of two HOT meals for dinner.

n7371f Sep 20, 2009 6:28 pm

Yes the non-hot breakfast on DL is a joke. Why even bother? It stinks. The only thing on the plate worth a crap is the fruit. The bagel is a puck. And how many people Chex? No one I know has ever eaten it. I particularly enjoy the 3:10 air time between MCO and MSP and a bowl of Chex.

And I just sent back the god awful mushroom pasta on this SLC-MCO flight for dinner. Brutal. Dry. Going to pay for a boxed meal in the back. Change is: degrading meal service from Northwest (which never had a good reputation for in-flight service).

orlandodlplat Sep 20, 2009 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by n7371f (Post 12410921)
And I just sent back the god awful mushroom pasta on this SLC-MCO flight for dinner. Brutal. Dry. Going to pay for a boxed meal in the back. Change is: degrading meal service from Northwest (which never had a good reputation for in-flight service).

Change is: logging into Flyertalk from 35,000 feet, so you can complain about the food via the industry-leading in-flight wifi.

Steph3n Sep 20, 2009 7:29 pm

I agree, the food sucks, this piece of cardboard the call a bagel is no good at all.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2481/...c32a94545d.jpg

dinner did not fare any better:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2484/...34e0ff1e8c.jpg

this is fajita marinated cold chicken, with lettuce, tomato, cheese and bacon, with a nasty vinaigrette

one lunch 'meal' was a turkey and swiss sandwich, no one onboard actually ate it, one lady tried and the bun was so hard she could not bite into it.

raehl311 Sep 20, 2009 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat (Post 12411114)
Change is: logging into Flyertalk from 35,000 feet, so you can complain about the food via the industry-leading in-flight wifi.

*IF* it happens to be available on the plane you're on. So far, as an MSP-hub flier, I have only seen it once on a DL MSP-ATL flight. It was very cool when available, and that benefit itself would be enough to keep me with DL if it was available on all flights 1.5 hours or more for a reasonable annual fee (or, let me swap out my useless DM SkyClub membership for a year of inflight wi-fi.)

That would be a benefit worth making DM for!

Regardless, the short answer is food on planes sucks, buy what you want before you get on the plane and then you get to eat what you want. Make up for the lack of food by drinking all their alcohol.

Kwaj boy Sep 20, 2009 8:49 pm

Amazing how no matter what is offered, some people will complain. I had the fajita marinated chicken wrap described last week and I thought it was quite good, especially since it was on a redeye. The SW omelet I had on the next flight wasn't bad either. It's an airplane for crying out loud, not a restaurant. Just eat the meal and stop whining or eat before you get on board.

thepla Sep 20, 2009 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by mrcimino1 (Post 12408057)
while the Big 3 lowered their standards.

From AA board on in flight PHL to DFW.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...idcon-now.html

Alpha Golf Sep 21, 2009 8:53 am

If DL wants to be New York's big dominant airline, they will need to get some locals to teach those southerners about bagels. Not just a roll-with-a-hole.

avidflyer Sep 21, 2009 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf (Post 12413137)
If DL wants to be New York's big dominant airline, they will need to get some locals to teach those southerners about bagels. Not just a roll-with-a-hole.

being a bit of an aficionado I fully agree. Boiled first is the key to a good NY deli bagel. BOILED.

GrizShel Sep 21, 2009 10:31 am

Originally Posted by thepla (Post 12411712)
From AA board on in flight PHL to DFW.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...idcon-now.html

Nice to see that although I'll be getting fewer upgrades to first with AA, at least I'll usually get an appetizing meal when I do make it to the front cabin.

Unfortunately, I usually can't take the extra time for longer connections just for more miles and better meals; but when it works into my schedule I'll definitely consider it.

I thought NW food was pretty decent most of the time; it was great compared to much of what I have seen recently (there's still some decent meals left on the longer flights).

motytrah Sep 21, 2009 1:27 pm

Had the wrap a couple weeks ago. Who in there right mind though putting rice in a cold meal was a good idea?!? I wonder if LSG is loading meals they think wil get heated. More so the bagels are going to suck as long as they insist on cold packing them. Maybe if they wamed them they would be okay.

SDF_Traveler Sep 21, 2009 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat (Post 12411114)

Providing you get an aircraft with GoGo installed and the flight time is long enough to make it worthwhile.

I just finished a multi-city trip with 8 segments, only one aircraft, a 757-200 (standard DL domestic config) for a 400 mile segment was WiFi equipped.

2 of the 8 segments were ASA CRJ's and my midcon/trancon flights (four) were operated by Intl Config a/c.

Would be nice if they put WiFi on the Intl Config A/C given they're being used for some trancons (i.e. JFK-LAX) and mid-con tag-on's (i.e. ATL-LAX).

Over the past few months, most of the standard DL domestic (non-song) 757-200's I've been on lately have had WiFi, but they've all been short hops. Same with the MD-88's I've been on lately, typically 300-600 mile flights. No WiFi on the longer flights I've taken, midcon/trancons with ex-Song 757s plus some 738's.

Not enough time to do anything with WiFi on the short flights with what flight time you have above 10,000 ft.

When you do get WiFi on a longer flight, it rocks.

mnredfox Sep 21, 2009 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kwaj boy (Post 12411416)
Amazing how no matter what is offered, some people will complain. I had the fajita marinated chicken wrap described last week and I thought it was quite good, especially since it was on a redeye. The SW omelet I had on the next flight wasn't bad either. It's an airplane for crying out loud, not a restaurant. Just eat the meal and stop whining or eat before you get on board.

While I agree food is food, I have noticed a drastic decrease in quality since the DL merger. Keep in mind most folks were used to the NWA meals, which I was quite happy with (though CO's F is WAY better). Hot breakfasts, hot meals even on 1000 mile flights, etc.

Just look at the MSP-AMS and MSP-HNL food threads.

What red-eye were you on that you got food. The ONLY redeye I ever had food on was ANC-MSP.

orlandodlplat Sep 21, 2009 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler (Post 12414509)
Would be nice if they put WiFi on the Intl Config A/C given they're being used for some trancons (i.e. JFK-LAX) and mid-con tag-on's (i.e. ATL-LAX).

They are.

SamuelS Sep 21, 2009 8:37 pm

On 3 occasions now since the DL/NW food downgrade, I've taken the morning YYC-MSP flight which has breakfast in F.

While I think that Chex and a Bagel is pretty weak compared to the nice omelettes et al from before, out of YYC here it's even worse. For some reason, there is no china - so everything is served on disposable cheap plastic plates. Second there is no metal cutlery. Someone in their infinite wisdom decided to serve a ROCK HARD bagel that is NOT pre sliced and then give out a flimsy plastic knife to try and slice it open. Errr - no. This has been the case on all 3 flights I've taken on this route in the last 10 weeks.

So not only is the meal itself asstastic, it's served on nasty plastic plates and with plastic cutlery that you would expect to buy in bulk from Walmart.

Best in Class.

Oh - meanwhile those in Y who felt like parting with $6 enjoyed a tasty "Todd English" croissant with turkey and sliced gouda cheese.

At least US Airways West charges pretty low F fares in this market because they admit their F product out of YYC is crap. I refuse to purchase paid F on NW out of YYC anymore as the fares are higher than what you can pay to fly US - Europe in Intl Biz, and the product sucks.