FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   Baggage charge on a codeshare flight ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/996368-baggage-charge-codeshare-flight.html)

Travelomania Sep 18, 2009 9:31 am

Baggage charge on a codeshare flight ?

Just want to make sure .... I'm a loyalist to NW and kinda :confused: with other airlines:

Our flights are booked on NW.com, however are apparently operated by AS.

Do we need to pay for checked baggage on AS while my whole traveling party is GE on NW and therefore free of baggage fees ?
Can we accrue on AS ?

I found somewhat of an answer but need confirmation (or correction):

Originally Posted by hillrider (Post 12354849)
The practice is that the baggage fee rules of the airline that checks you in (i.e. operating carrier of the first segment) apply; they will probably waive their fees if you are prepared to show that according to the rules of the carrier that sold you the ticket you are exempt from paying any fees, but YMMV.

DiverDave Sep 18, 2009 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Travelomania (Post 12400865)
Just want to make sure .... I'm a loyalist to NW and kinda :confused: with other airlines:

Do we need to pay for checked baggage on AS while my whole traveling party is GE on NW and therefore free of baggage fees ?
Can we accrue on AS ?

You will be charged for checked baggage per AS rules. You can accrue miles on AS, NW, or DL.

David

Blue Skye Sep 18, 2009 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Travelomania (Post 12400865)

Can we accrue on AS ?

what DiverDave said.

FWIW i flew YVR to SEA in August and was shocked to find i had to pay for my baggage as a GE. apparently Delta stopped reciprocating with AS' frequent flyers on the Delta codeshares so now AS charges.:rolleyes: i was all "seriously?" :eek: i was highly annoyed to discover that this was the policy. hopefully this will change in the future.

fti Sep 18, 2009 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Blue Skye (Post 12401148)
what DiverDave said.

FWIW i flew YVR to SEA in August and was shocked to find i had to pay for my baggage as a GE. apparently Delta stopped reciprocating with AS' frequent flyers on the Delta codeshares so now AS charges.:rolleyes: i was all "seriously?" :eek: i was highly annoyed to discover that this was the policy. hopefully this will change in the future.

Actually the DL/AS mileage accrual reciprocity never applied to baggage allowances. So I doubt it will change in the future. I fly to AK quite a bit.

Try to use NW/DL for your first flight, the connect to AS and you will be exempt from baggage fees if you are DL medallion. You are always subject to the baggage fees/rules of the airline you first check in with.

On your return, if you fly AS within AK then connect to a DL/NW flight, only check your luggage on AS to your connecting point within AK (FAI/ANC) then recheck it there. AS doesn't charge for checked luggage within Alaska for the first three checked pieces.

John

Blue Skye Sep 18, 2009 10:34 am

Originally Posted by fti (Post 12401171)
Actually the DL/AS mileage accrual reciprocity never applied to baggage allowances. So I doubt it will change in the future. I fly to AK quite a bit.

Try to use NW/DL for your first flight, the connect to AS and you will be exempt from baggage fees if you are DL medallion. You are always subject to the baggage fees/rules of the airline you first check in with.

On your return, if you fly AS within AK then connect to a DL/NW flight, only check your luggage on AS to your connecting point within AK (FAI/ANC) then recheck it there. AS doesn't charge for checked luggage within Alaska for the first three checked pieces.

John

thank you for that info. i will remember that as i plan on traveling to AK again next year. it is certainly a song/dance routine to avoid the fees these days. LOL

beckoa Sep 19, 2009 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Blue Skye (Post 12401223)
thank you for that info. i will remember that as i plan on traveling to AK again next year. it is certainly a song/dance routine to avoid the fees these days. LOL

Perhaps by next year AS & DL will fix this flaw in their partnership... guess we should write some letters :rolleys:

Otherwise, if one were to get an upgrade (if they start in 2010) before checking your bags, then that person would get to check 2 bags free...