FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   Question on Delta mileage accrual with KLM (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/995860-question-delta-mileage-accrual-klm.html)

gottaluvNW Sep 17, 2009 2:13 am

Question on Delta mileage accrual with KLM

According to Delta, when flying KLM "Mileage credit is not applicable for fares booked in D, E, G, N, V or W class."

What if I have bought a ticket already, entered my NWA worldperks number, and the flight takes place at the end of the year. Since WP ceases to exist on October 1, miles will post towards my SM account - does that mean I will not get mileage accrual since I am flying on a V fare?
:confused:

florin Sep 17, 2009 3:38 am

Originally Posted by gottaluvNW (Post 12393752)
does that mean I will not get mileage accrual since I am flying on a V fare?
:confused:

My guess is... bend over for DL! :td:

At the end of the year this flight will get credited towards your SM account (since you won't have a WP account anymore); the posting will therefore be governed by the SM rules.

WP used to credit 100% miles for V fares. Even the badly mutilated FB (as of April 1) credits 25%. DL decided to be the best-in-class and go as low as 0. :rolleyes:

gottaluvNW Sep 17, 2009 4:33 am

Do we know yet, when miles no longer post to the WP account, but instead post to SM?

CGNC Sep 17, 2009 5:44 am

I posted this question on the DL board as well as I fly V fares lots of times and was told that if it is NW coded then there shouldn't be a problem. But when purchased as a KL flight in V, I think we're SOL. I'm honestly surprised that DL hasn't changed this, knowing of course that many of us NW folks frequently do business with KL on some of those fare types.

gottaluvNW Sep 17, 2009 6:38 am

Called the Plat desk. They said that DL and KL are in negotiations to decide which fare classes get what percentage of miles. And that in the meanwhile I should put only my NW number to get credits. they also said that an email should follow shortly to tell us what happens next and that in the meantime all original mileage accrual policies will be honored.

TrayflowInUK Sep 17, 2009 1:29 pm

Given that they're "in negotiations", I can imagine a "best in class" alignment between the AF/KL Flying Poo programme and SkyPiles is in order. Say hello to 100% EQM in intra-Europe economy class only for the top 3 fare classes, and 25% EQM for E, N, and V, which are the only remotely-competitive fares.

uptownnow Sep 17, 2009 4:30 pm

The KLM V Issue Has Me Conerned, Too...

I travel to and within Africa all the time on KL and KQ on V fares, and if they don't give credit for V, it will absolutely be the deal breaker for me.

I suspect that there are a lot of people in the same boat and that they may give credit for KL V.

For me I guess the option would be to move over to * Alliance and fly a lot of SAA. Might be a good change, as SAA is nice, and DL is nasty. That's my biggest gripe about this whole merger -- DL planes are filthy, the food terrible, the service surly, the FF program bait-and-switch. Don't know if the grass is any greener on the other side, with * Alliance though...

Guy Betsy Sep 18, 2009 7:25 am

Same situation here....

I've tickets on KLM in N, and V class starting travel today (LHR-AMS-HAM) with the last 3 segments booked for 11th , 12th and 15th October. (BKK-AMS-HAM-AMS)

I am crediting all this to WP as I don't have a DL account. I am hoping that by mid Oct, that my WP number is still active and WP will credit the miles as 100%.

As nothing is in writing, I wonder if this will still stand or do you think that I will be SOL if DL SM decides that V class don't earn anything. I don't want to suffer in KL coach if I don't get any miles and will buy or redeem another ticket on *A perhaps from BKK.

redtailshark Sep 18, 2009 9:53 am

Originally Posted by uptownnow (Post 12397609)
I travel to and within Africa all the time on KL and KQ on V fares, and if they don't give credit for V, it will absolutely be the deal breaker for me.

I suspect that there are a lot of people in the same boat and that they may give credit for KL V.

For me I guess the option would be to move over to * Alliance and fly a lot of SAA. Might be a good change, as SAA is nice, and DL is nasty. That's my biggest gripe about this whole merger -- DL planes are filthy, the food terrible, the service surly, the FF program bait-and-switch. Don't know if the grass is any greener on the other side, with * Alliance though...

I'm concerned about this situation too. The bottom line for me is that KL offers a much more valuable product than DL, for a number of reasons some of which are particular to my needs and others that are systemic. In essence, part of the reason I'm keeping even any minimal status on DL going forward is to justify and benefit from using KL for intra-EU and EU-other locations.

If there are no DL miles on KL N or V, then there really won't be a choice. It'll be LH and/or any Star A carrier for all intra-Europe and all other itins. This prospective choice has already been made easier by the general lack of SM value for other itins. SAA and Star sounds good, to use the example given above.

This is really just another example of how the ATL-centric and deeply non-international view of the DL SM management erodes international business value for NW customers, when compared with NW or CO or even AAnyone else. We've all benefited from KL and AMS over the years.

mnredfox Sep 18, 2009 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by redtailshark (Post 12400969)
This is really just another example of how the ATL-centric and deeply non-international view of the DL SM management erodes international business value for NW customers, when compared with NW or CO or even AAnyone else. We've all benefited from KL and AMS over the years.

Yes, one of many sadly.

uptownnow Sep 19, 2009 12:18 pm

Good point redtailshark

"ATL -centric"

I hadn't thought about it that way, redtailshark, but, you're right, that's exactly what it is.

Take this new Diamond level. I live in NYC, travel constantly internationally, but rarely travel domestically. As far as I can tell, the Diamond level will give me nothing more than 25% more miles, which is not that attractive. The domestic lounge access is meaningless to flyers like me, and I'm sure they realize this -- almost no one who travels only domestically, and could benefit from this, could reach the Diamond level. So I will deliberately not credit a couple trips at the end of this year so that I avoid making Diamond and can instead roll over the EQM to next year and easily get Elite+ through 2011 even if I switch to *A.

What I'm interested in -- and I suspect a lot of frequent int'l travelers are with me here -- is three things: upgrades, lounge access, and quality of the in-flight experience. DL gets a big F on two of those three.