A320 economy seating

Old Sep 15, 09, 1:13 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
A320 economy seating

Looks like I will be resigned to economy on a flight this Saturday on an A320 (mileage ticket, so only upgradeable 1 day in advance, and it doesn't look good).

Right now I have the window seat 11A (exit row) reserved. I much prefer window seats so that is not negotiable.

Would I be better off though in seat 5A (bookable right now)? I never mind the "cold near the exit window" cautions but the padding on the exit row seat is less than on the others. But I love the legroom and being able to easily use a laptop in the exit row. Is there a good amount of legroom in row 5?

Thanks for any insights.

John
Old Sep 15, 09, 1:25 pm

5 is good for leg room - but not as good as 11.

Just remember that 5B and 5C are handicap access, so you may be seated with some folks who are bigger, if they don't go to Elites during OLCI. I typically go for 5F for this reason.

Both are good rows - if you want leg room over anything, go for 11. If you don't like folks reclining into you and want to be quick off the plane - go for 5.
Old Sep 15, 09, 1:28 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for your quick reply. Actually I don't think row 10 window reclines due to the exit row so that won't be an issue. And 5DEF are already taken, so only 5A is available in that row (as you said, 5B/5C are blocked).

I think I will stay with 11A for now. Thanks.

John
Old Sep 15, 09, 2:23 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Originally Posted by fti View Post
I never mind the "cold near the exit window" cautions but the padding on the exit row seat is less than on the others.
You might be in luck. I recently rode in an A320, also in seat 11-A, and there was noticeably better padding than I was used to for those overwing window exit seats. Maybe they're replacing the padding in those seats because it felt nearly as padded as any other seat.
Old Sep 15, 09, 3:28 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, just checked and NW is now selling 4 F seats on my flight. So maybe my UG chances increased. Let's hope so.
Old Sep 15, 09, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA EXP
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
You might be in luck. I recently rode in an A320, also in seat 11-A, and there was noticeably better padding than I was used to for those overwing window exit seats. Maybe they're replacing the padding in those seats because it felt nearly as padded as any other seat.
I was going to mention the seat padding issue until I saw this post.

Another consideration: 5A would get you off the plane at least 30 people sooner than 11 A....
Old Sep 15, 09, 7:25 pm

Programs: NW/DL Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
re: leg room in row 5 v row 11
vs
padding in seats in exit window?

no question, row 5 wins. I agree, I like the window too, and exit row on a 757 is not a problem. However on the A319/320, row 5 has plennnty of legroom (and I'm pretty tall) and avoiding the cardboard-thickness pad you get on the exit row of the Airbus makes all the difference in the world.

If as The Moose suggested, this is getting changed, then great. but I'm a fan of 5A. Rode 5A when didn't get upgrade due to last minute flight change second to last time out of SJC. Didn't mind 5A that much.
Old Sep 16, 09, 8:24 am

Programs: NW GE
I much prefer 5 over 11... less people in front of you, seems to me like there is more room (you can usually get up from 5A without making 5 B+C get up).

Search this Thread