Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Placed with strangers when forced to overnight due to misconnect, customary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2009, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, SPG

ELM -DTW - MIA. Misconnected in DTW because of a mechanical issue. I have no status. Was given a hotel room to share with two other strangers. (Regular room, 2 double beds, the strangers were friends travelling together) Wrote to TTU and this is the response I got.

"As to your question concerning your stay at the Quality Inn,
I appreciate the opportunity to explain that generally, we will not ask
passengers who are not traveling together to share a room. However, if
there is a shortage of rooms we may encourage customers to seek
accommodations together since they otherwise would not have a room at
all."

I personally thought it was a breach of security and privacy. They have to be breaking some rule. I guess thats what happens when you have no status on an airline.

Last edited by Peetyrd; Sep 15, 2009 at 8:22 am
Old Sep 15, 2009, 8:16 am

Programs: NW-PE, Blue Star SeaSmiles
Personally I would have titled this thread "Who NWA made me sleep with"

Now how did 3 people share one room? Were the others a couple? Did you get a suite?
Old Sep 15, 2009, 8:24 am

Programs: Former DL PM, current level: tin
Originally Posted by Peetyrd
ELM -DTW - MIA. Misconnected in DTW because of a mechanical issue. I have no status. Was given a hotel room to share with two other strangers. Wrote to TTU and this is the response I got.

all."

I personally thought it was a breach of security and privacy. They have to be breaking some rule. I guess thats what happens when you have no status on an airline.
I think what they mean here is a "shortage of rooms that we are willing to pay for." Although I typically stay in hostels or some other form of group lodging (saves €€€!) when traveling I would not be pleased, especially if thrown into a room with a snorer. I have read of other airlines doing this, but thankfully it seems to be a rare occurrence.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 8:24 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Interestingly, there is a report of this happening on United recently. United_PR says it should never happen.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 8:33 am

Programs: a little here, a little there
I would have refused out of security concerns - but OT, I'm also against employers who make employees (who know each other) share rooms - just unprofessional, IMO.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 8:37 am

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Did you check with the hotel to see if other rooms were available?

Did NW give you miles in response to your TTU?
Old Sep 15, 2009, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
They have to be breaking some rule.
Not if the two other people were smokin’ hawt cougars!
Old Sep 15, 2009, 8:41 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Not if the two other people were smokin’ hawt cougars!

*music starts: Boom chicka wow wow . . .
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:34 am

Programs: NW Plat, Hilton, Avis
Uh oh - maybe the airline considers room-sharing a new service for passengers. Match.com better watch out. Do passengers get to select their own roommates?

Just kidding, of course. This seems like a bad idea except when there's a calamity such as a blizzard shutting down the airport. In that case, it's better than sleeping in the terminal with hundreds of other people.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:34 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
ELM -DTW - MIA. Misconnected in DTW because of a mechanical issue. I have no status. Was given a hotel room to share with two other strangers. (Regular room, 2 double beds, the strangers were friends travelling together) Wrote to TTU and this is the response I got.

all
."

What I'm really hearing is "seek a room with a stranger, or have no room. The choice is yours".

Originally Posted by hobo13
Interestingly, there is a report of this happening on United recently. United_PR says it should never happen.
What shouldn't happen, and what does happen at the airport, are different things.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 11:28 am
csg

I'd want to know the elite status of someone before I agreed to share a room with him/her.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 12:42 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
Originally Posted by hobo13
i was going to mention the same thread when i saw the title of this thread. this should never happen period!
Old Sep 15, 2009, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by csg
I'd want to know the elite status of someone before I agreed to share a room with him/her.
For sure...were they DL or NW? ..............KIDDING
Old Sep 15, 2009, 1:08 pm

Programs: CO Gold - 1MM, IC Plat, Hertz PC
Unfrickenbelievable.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by csg
What's that got to do with anything? They should at least share their facebook or myspace page first though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.