no domestic FC/PE priority luggage tags?

Old Sep 14, 09, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
no domestic FC/PE priority luggage tags?

Yesterday when I checked a bag at the FC counter, a DL agent told me (rather rudely) that they don't give the colored priority tags on domestic, only international. My boarding pass clearly says NW Plat/Skyteam Elite P and I had a FC ticket but no status was indicated on the printed tag either. When I look at the Skyteam elite benefits website, it says Skyteam Elite Plus members get "Priority Baggage Handling: Spend less time at the baggage carousel. Special baggage tags indicate checked luggage belonging to Skyteam Elite Plus members. These bags are delivered expeditiously to the baggage-claim area." (No asterisks, footnotes, or exceptions, not by carrier, route, or class of service.) I realize that the system doesn't work perfectly, but still, my experience has been that most of the time, my checked luggage has arrived with the first third of the bags from my flight. Although I sometimes must remind them to use the priority tags, I've never had an issue with NW, including a number of times at different airports this spring (the last time I checked luggage for a domestic flight). Neither the NW or DL website seems to address this, although FT suggests that DL did the special tags only from 1999 to 2005. When did DL stop honoring Skyteam benefits? Did I miss the announcement of this new service enhancement?
Old Sep 14, 09, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Yesterday when I checked a bag at the FC counter, a DL agent told me (rather rudely) that they don't give the colored priority tags on domestic, only international. My boarding pass clearly says NW Plat/Skyteam Elite P and I had a FC ticket but no status was indicated on the printed tag either. When I look at the Skyteam elite benefits website, it says Skyteam Elite Plus members get "Priority Baggage Handling: Spend less time at the baggage carousel. Special baggage tags indicate checked luggage belonging to Skyteam Elite Plus members. These bags are delivered expeditiously to the baggage-claim area." (No asterisks, footnotes, or exceptions, not by carrier, route, or class of service.) I realize that the system doesn't work perfectly, but still, my experience has been that most of the time, my checked luggage has arrived with the first third of the bags from my flight. Although I sometimes must remind them to use the priority tags, I've never had an issue with NW, including a number of times at different airports this spring (the last time I checked luggage for a domestic flight). Neither the NW or DL website seems to address this, although FT suggests that DL did the special tags only from 1999 to 2005. When did DL stop honoring Skyteam benefits? Did I miss the announcement of this new service enhancement?
NW is now DL....
Old Sep 14, 09, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
I've also been told that the priority tags are for international flights only on Delta. At all of the airports I go to having a priority tag means nothing anyway. Although I only check a bag maybe 1% of the time I fly.

-RM
Old Sep 14, 09, 6:48 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
DL has told me that too.

The priority tags have worked well in ANC and SMF, two places I fly to and often check luggage. Doesn't work in MSP. My home airport is so small all the luggage is off-loaded at the same time - not even a "carousel."

Another "best in class" enhancement.
Old Sep 14, 09, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Some of the Delta agents will put them on if you ask, but it is suppose to be for Int flights only. domestically it is hit and miss if they will wokr.
Old Sep 14, 09, 7:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
NW still provides this benefit to Plat Elite/ SkyTeam Elite Plus and FC/BC on Northwest flights. Delta never did and still does not.
Old Sep 14, 09, 7:44 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
A DL Plat told me on DL it was only on flights over 6 hours... which in a practical sense means INTL.
Old Sep 14, 09, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
Of the times I got upgrades to FC, only once (MDW) did the priority tags come out first, every other time they were mixed.

As for when the priority tag gets applied, on a recent trip MSP-SEA the tag did not say priority, and the green slip was not added. I had flown FC the exact same route the week prior and week after, and got priority tags then.
Old Sep 14, 09, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer View Post
A DL Plat told me on DL it was only on flights over 6 hours...

Here's the actual info from DL.com

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...ance/index.jsp

Footnote # 4 states exactly as above and specifies INT'L flights. NW does it for all PE's and FC domestic. DL doesn't. I had to argue with an agent recently about it, too! I just got back from:

PIT/DTW/MCO
MCO/MSP/LAS
LAS/MSP/PIT

and ALL were DL check-in counters and all were tagged with the Elite/FC tags without even asking!!!
Old Sep 14, 09, 10:40 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
The real take away here IMHO is to hold Delta's feet to the fire on implementing a world class luggage program. The was one of their many claims last fall after the acquisition closed. I notice they no longer advertise this commitment. It's so far from world class, it's not even funny. In contrast, Silver Elites on CO get Elite Access, which has handled the luggage perfectly every time I've used it.
Old Sep 15, 09, 5:52 am

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
DL's priority baggage handling is a joke and always has been. Internationally it has helped probably less than 25% of the time.
Old Sep 15, 09, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Plat, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by troyintn View Post
Some of the Delta agents will put them on if you ask, but it is suppose to be for Int flights only. domestically it is hit and miss if they will wokr.
What I've been told too. Many NWA counters have gone out of their stock of NWA Priority tags, and the TA's tell me that DL hasn't restocked them. Best in class enhancement apparently.

YMMV, I've gotten it a few time when I've asked...
Old Sep 15, 09, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
Talking

"Priority Handling", apart from what the website says, usually gets you the following benefits:

- "Priority Handling" by the baggage handlers which includes dropping, smashing, dragging, leaving out in the rain, getting jammed when closing the cargo door
- 99% Guarantee your bags will be some of the last to come out
- 50% chance your bags will not make it to your destination

** These benefits are also offered by most other airlines **
Old Sep 15, 09, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
My most common segment lately is SFO-NRT, and I have to say that lately NW has been doing a great job, both at NRT and at SFO, of making sure the priority bags come off first.
Old Sep 15, 09, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
One more thing to miss about CO... the 'Elite Access' tagged bags ALWAYS came out first on my flights with them

Search this Thread