Fed Up With NW Reservations

Old Sep 14, 09, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Fed Up With NW Reservations

So all I want to do is get seat assignments for my wife, son, daughter-in-law and infant grandson. All travel is on NW although seats were booked and paid for using Delta. I call NW reservations. Gentleman says because reservations were made via DL, DL must make seat assignments even though flights are on NW. He connects me to DL reservationist. I explain story. She says that is incorrect, seat assignments must be made by NW. I get hung up on because she knows there is a customer satisfaction survey following call and I'm very unhappy. This has happened three times and I still don't have seat assignments for flights SFO-DTW Thursday night. Three people are going to be upset that "dear-ole dad" hasn't gotten them seat assignments. Any recommendations out there? Thank you.
Old Sep 14, 09, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
hate to tell you this but BOTH DL & NW agents were wrong...they BOTH have access to assign you a seat...since you're a DL Elite I'd recommend calling DL Elite Services who'll be happy to assist you
Old Sep 14, 09, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA EXP
Originally Posted by maltasr View Post
So all I want to do is get seat assignments for my wife, son, daughter-in-law and infant grandson. All travel is on NW although seats were booked and paid for using Delta.
Did you buy the tickets at delta.com? If so, your e-mail confirmation and reciept (or logging into delta.com) should show a confirmation number for Delta and another confirmation number for NW. You should be able to use the NW confirmation number, log into "manage my reservations" at nwa.com, and select seats.

You should be able to select seats at either delta.com or nwa.com, but my experience has been you're better off selecting seats via the operating airline (i.e., when I'm flying NW via ticket purchased at delta.com, they show different seat maps but the nwa.com version is more accurate vs. if I'm flying on DL flights purchased at nwa.com, selecting seats at delta.com is more accurate).

Even if you purchsed tickets via a travel agent or third-party site, you should be able to use the NW confirmation number to select seats on-line. If you only have a DL confirmation number, log into delta.com and your itinerary should show a NW confirmation number as well.
Old Sep 14, 09, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
hate to tell you this but BOTH DL & NW agents were wrong...they BOTH have access to assign you a seat...since you're a DL Elite I'd recommend calling DL Elite Services who'll be happy to assist you
Good idea...but the passengers are not elite. Unfortunately, I won't be accompanying them.
Old Sep 14, 09, 9:17 pm

If the psgrs are not elite, and all of the non elite seats have been assigned..Then your family will have to select seats @ check in.....It sounds like the only remaining seats are the Select or Preferred Seats , and if this is the case...They wont be released until 24 hrs prior for online ck in or at the ATO....
Old Sep 15, 09, 2:41 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR, MR Lifetime Gold
Three people are going to be upset that "dear-ole dad" hasn't gotten them seat assignments. Any recommendations out there? Thank you.
Seat assignments are not THAT important. The three people should just get over it; I promise you they won't be standing.

Have you tried accessing the reservation online?
Old Sep 15, 09, 3:49 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Seat assignments "should" be assigned using the operating carrier's site, using the operating carrier's PNR. If you are holding an 006 ticket, and the flight is operated by 012, call DL, ask for NW's PNR, go to NW's site, add the PNRs to each NW FF account, and assign seats.

That's (IMO) the technical answer. If you're a DL Elite, the rest is up to the DL CSR. If you're not flying, and all pax are non-Elite, then you at the mercy of the operating carrier's non-Elite seat availability (well, until 24 hours out).

IMO.
Old Sep 15, 09, 4:35 am
pbj

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ResSalesGuy View Post
If the psgrs are not elite, and all of the non elite seats have been assigned..Then your family will have to select seats @ check in.....It sounds like the only remaining seats are the Select or Preferred Seats , and if this is the case...They wont be released until 24 hrs prior for online ck in or at the ATO....

Correct, but if there are open seats you can still call the elite line and have them assign seats (or just do it online). I just did this yesterday for my Brother and Sister-in-law who are flying to SAT on a different PNR than I am. I had to reschedule my flight and wanted them on the same flights as myself. The elite agent was more than happy to help. I am Plat, they're not elite at any level.
Old Sep 15, 09, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good idea...but the passengers are not elite. Unfortunately, I won't be accompanying them.
do you mean DL SMS wont help an elite on the phone if they aren't in the PNR...wow that really is bad service (yet again another example of bad customer service on DL's part....I still dont understand the DLManiacs over in the DL threads that continue to swear DL has the best service ever)...anyways in that case NWA Elite Service will be glad to assist you (as long as you're an elite they are empowered regardless if youre in the PNR or not), call SMS and ask them to transfer you to NWA Elite Services
Old Sep 15, 09, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbagdon View Post
That's (IMO) the technical answer. If you're a DL Elite, the rest is up to the DL CSR. If you're not flying, and all pax are non-Elite, then you at the mercy of the operating carrier's non-Elite seat availability (well, until 24 hours out).

IMO.
Slight correction...NWA releases all seats at the 24 hour mark for all (elite and non-elites) to choose from...DL continues to hold them back for gate assignment, DL waives this policy only for DL Elites, unfortunately we NWA elites dont have equal footing on DL OP flights and so we must go through seat request at gate
Old Sep 15, 09, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbj View Post
Correct, but if there are open seats you can still call the elite line and have them assign seats (or just do it online). I just did this yesterday for my Brother and Sister-in-law who are flying to SAT on a different PNR than I am. I had to reschedule my flight and wanted them on the same flights as myself. The elite agent was more than happy to help. I am Plat, they're not elite at any level.
that's NWA's empowerment for Elites...sounds like DL doesn't empower their agents
Old Sep 15, 09, 6:30 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
another "Best In Class" enhancement...

that's NWA's empowerment for Elites...sounds like DL doesn't empower their agents
Old Sep 15, 09, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thezipper View Post
another "Best In Class" enhancement...
no kidding....it's becoming more and more clear DL has never worried about customer service (and wont going forward), heck even their inflight product received more attention but what good does that do if you can't treat the PAX right???
Old Sep 15, 09, 7:57 am

Programs: NW GE
Slight correction...NWA releases all seats at the 24 hour mark for all (elite and non-elites) to choose from...DL continues to hold them back for gate assignment, DL waives this policy only for DL Elites, unfortunately we NWA elites dont have equal footing on DL OP flights and so we must go through seat request at gate
Slight correction-- NW does NOT always release P seats to non-elites. I frequently manage the seats for my GF flying SFO-MSP on NW and probably 75% of the time as a non-elite she is not able to move up to a P seat when she checks in at 24 hrs. At the airport, however, she can always pick any seat. I think it may be fare class dependent, IE when she is flying on a T or K fare it seems to never work picking the P seats while L/V sometimes works.
Old Sep 15, 09, 8:04 am

Programs: NW GE
If all there are left is P seats and you're not on the PNR with your family (or even travelling), I'm not surprised they won't assign seats at this point, which is totally reasonable and fair to the elites who are actually on the flight.

Search this Thread