E175's Taken Off Certain Routes?

Old Sep 14, 09, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; SPG Gold
E175's Taken Off Certain Routes?

Hi All,

A question and possible mild complaint to Delta/NWA.

I travel DTW-YYZ and DTW-MDW regularly and have noticed that neither route is being serviced by the E175's anymore. Instead, they are being run with CR2, CR7s.

Not a big deal but it stinks b/c since there are no F/C seats, no upgrades. On the CRJs you can't fit a rollerboard in the overheads, thus more inconvenience. Not the end of the world since they are short hops, but definitely noticeable downgrade in service.

Welcome to the new Delta?

c|d
Old Sep 14, 09, 11:20 am

Yeah it is just Delta playing around with the schedule. As many people pointed out before this merger ever occurred Delta has a ton of CRJs and isn't afraid to use them.
Old Sep 14, 09, 12:41 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Yup... they have removed all the 757's and are now running CRJ's on the MSP-DCA route... never thought i'd see that!

Originally Posted by cardood View Post
Welcome to the new Delta?

c|d
Old Sep 14, 09, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Wow... That's rough that DTW-MDW got degauged...

Was on that route a little over a month ago, ugraded as an AS elite

I have family near MDW so I've been on that route a couple times-

It doesn't seem that long ago they had DC9's on it...
Old Sep 15, 09, 2:37 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by thezipper View Post
Yup... they have removed all the 757's and are now running CRJ's on the MSP-DCA route... never thought i'd see that!
Holy cow! That is a bit extreme.
Old Sep 15, 09, 5:02 am

Programs: DL DM 4.3 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by florin View Post
Holy cow! That is a bit extreme.
And the fares still have not gone up. Flights are just overbooked. Go figure.
Old Sep 15, 09, 6:28 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
They just now require a SUN night stay... trying to fly to MSP for the NW DO, they wanted over $400 for a weekend flight! I can fly to LA twice for that!

Originally Posted by hnewman View Post
And the fares still have not gone up. Flights are just overbooked. Go figure.
Old Sep 15, 09, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Be sure the E175s weren't retired - they have simply found a welcome on another route. Lots of routes get downgauged following peak summer season.
Old Sep 15, 09, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Wow... That's rough that DTW-MDW got degauged...

Was on that route a little over a month ago, ugraded as an AS elite

I have family near MDW so I've been on that route a couple times-

It doesn't seem that long ago they had DC9's on it...
It really stinks....it's not like Detroit and Chicago are small markets with no business travelers and no FFers. No chances to be UG'd is truly a bummer.

DTW-YYZ had A319 on that route on more than one occasion earlier this year.

My pet theory is that the New Delta are hogging all the newer, better metal for 'old Delta' routes and leaving the 'old NWA' routes with Crappy RJs.

c|d
Old Sep 15, 09, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
But I'm sure a lot of us are curious -- where have they gone?

These planes are fairly new. NW had deposits on the table which were at risk in the bankruptcy, and in the end salvaged them by placing orders for new RJ's which were split between Canadair (CRJ-900s) and Embraer (E-175s).
Old Sep 15, 09, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
My pet theory is that the New Delta are hogging all the newer, better metal for 'old Delta' routes and leaving the 'old NWA' routes with Crappy RJs.

c|d
This theory can't be supported given that legacy NW aircraft are flown 100% by NW crew and DL hasn't opened a slew of new crew stations in ATL/JFK/SLC. Sure, there are a few widebody routes that see A330s with tags from DTW or MSP. NW operated over a hundred CRJs before being acquired by DL.
Old Sep 15, 09, 10:32 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
This theory can't be supported given that legacy NW aircraft are flown 100% by NW crew and DL hasn't opened a slew of new crew stations in ATL/JFK/SLC.
Surely they are able to operate on "DL routes" without opening up new crew bases...

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
Sure, there are a few widebody routes that see A330s with tags from DTW or MSP. NW operated over a hundred CRJs before being acquired by DL.
Wow, that sounds like a lot, until you look at the 477 CRJs operated by Comair, ASA, and SkyWest before acquiring NW...
Old Sep 15, 09, 10:34 am

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
It seems as though they have added E175's to routes such as SAT/AUS-MSP/DTW with increased frequencies (whereas they used to run 319's/D9S's with decrease frequency).
Old Sep 15, 09, 11:07 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by thezipper View Post
Now that's what I call exciting, and not in a good way
Old Sep 15, 09, 12:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA 1K, HERTZ Presidents Circle
Hi All,

I travel DTW-YYZ and DTW-MDW regularly and have noticed that neither route is being serviced by the E175's anymore. Instead, they are being run with CR2, CR7s.
c|d

I am getting pretty sick of the NWA/Delta flights out of YYZ, every week it seems with the CR2s we have ATC holds constantly. Sit on the tarmac for 30 minutes for a 35 minute flight makes no sense. I am ready to switch airlines out of YYZ plus now they have taken away air miles for Canada travelers. I remember the days when all we had were A320s A319s but not anymore. Just tough on a short connection to go form C19 to A78 in DTW. I like the the E175s would land on the A concourse making connections easier. Every flight I have been on lately with Northwest Airlink has had issues, delays, nobody waiting at the gate for us in DTW, delayed plane side bags. I am probably about 4 out of 4 on the last few airlink flights and all had delays.

Search this Thread