Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

can I book a ticket for someone who hasn't been born?

Old Sep 13, 09, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP (spouse).

I am thinking of booking an award ticket to Asia for next September, and would like to make the reservation soon (before the program merger). One of the bookings would be for our soon-to-be-born baby (due Oct 10). Is there any way to book now (we already have a name), even without a birth date? Or enter the due date, then change the DOB later? Has anyone ever done this?
Old Sep 13, 09, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
[Insert Gattaca joke here.]

If the child will be that young, can't you do a lap child? Or maybe WP doesn't do that -- never investigated, but you didn't say that you had ruled it out.
Old Sep 13, 09, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
It's an international reservation. Lap kids are not free.

So let's see:

Name: TBD
Sex: Unknown

Etc.

With luck it'll match something on the watch list.
Old Sep 13, 09, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Are birth dates required at booking?
Old Sep 13, 09, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

good point - I just did a ghost booking and apparently not.

On DL I recall a birthdate is required, since it's international and they want to match to a passport. I guess I can try to do it on NW with just a name.
Old Sep 14, 09, 2:38 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Lap kids ARE free on international award tickets, you just need to pay taxes and fees.

They are NOT free when you pay for your ticket.
In such an instance you pay 10% of the price of the normal adult ticket price that is applicable at the time you make the booking for the infant. I've recently checked this with the Plat desk.
Old Sep 14, 09, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
Originally Posted by gottaluvNW View Post
Lap kids ARE free on international award tickets, you just need to pay taxes and fees.

They are NOT free when you pay for your ticket.
In such an instance you pay 10% of the price of the normal adult ticket price that is applicable at the time you make the booking for the infant. I've recently checked this with the Plat desk.
Neither such scenario is "free". Both require ticketing.
Old Sep 14, 09, 5:36 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by psychtobe View Post
good point - I just did a ghost booking and apparently not.

On DL I recall a birthdate is required, since it's international and they want to match to a passport. I guess I can try to do it on NW with just a name.
Northwest is exempt from requiring birthdates. It's a new Homeland Security thing, but since the merger is happening, they aren't "forcing" NWA to update their IT system since it's going away.

I read this on another thread somewhere in this forum...
Old Sep 14, 09, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles View Post
[Insert Gattaca joke here.]

If the child will be that young, can't you do a lap child? Or maybe WP doesn't do that -- never investigated, but you didn't say that you had ruled it out.
For a USA-ASIA trip.... stick with the original plan, get the kid a seat. Everyone will be happier.
Old Sep 14, 09, 7:48 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I know others who have made a reservation on an international flight for an infant before their birth. They didn't need a DOB at the time of booking but it was a year or two ago. I would think you can give a DOB and change it later if it is required.
Old Sep 14, 09, 8:40 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
We did this for my daughter on a MSP to HNL to KOA itenary on two airlines. Bought tickets in July, due in August, trip in December.

A birthdate WAS required to purchase the tickets. I called the reservations line and they said to guess. I used my due date. Since I knew she was going to be a girl and knew what her name was going to be it worked out fine. I suppose if you don't know what gender, you could just pick a gender neutral name- since at new born age you don't need to carry any documentation to fly with the child.

We then upgraded our tickets to business and called to reserve the bassinet.

The only funny incident was that on one of the flights a FA came up and said that our daughter had the same birthday as her. I said, "so you were born on [her real birthdate]?" She said, "nooooo, the manifest says [due date]." "Oh," I said, "that is because we made the reservations before she was born. That was her due date." We all had a chuckle.

BTW, check out the Baby b'air. It works great you if you will be nursing on the plane.

Edit: Just noticed that you will be flying international, which means that that the travel document must match the manifest. I would suggest that you contact NW directly and ask them for specific guidance for this situation. If you child is a lap child, maybe you can go ahead and purchase your tickets, then add the lap child later, but I don't know for sure.

Last edited by Cellisttoo; Sep 14, 09 at 8:43 am Reason: Added info. about Intl. trip
Old Sep 14, 09, 9:40 pm

NO!....From a Res perspective...dont do it...You can NOT change a name later...You will have to cancel that booking, pay any redep fees and then a new booking will need to be created...So, you will not solve anything other than to frustrate yourself down the road.....
Old Sep 15, 09, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ResSalesGuy View Post
NO!....From a Res perspective...dont do it...You can NOT change a name later...You will have to cancel that booking, pay any redep fees and then a new booking will need to be created...So, you will not solve anything other than to frustrate yourself down the road.....
But the name is certain, well, unless the ultrasound is wrong. I suppose that is a possibility.
Old Sep 15, 09, 7:16 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by psychtobe
Originally Posted by ResSalesGuy View Post
But the name is certain, well, unless the ultrasound is wrong. I suppose that is a possibility.
If you have the name, then go for it! Absolutely not a problem... You can add a birthdate later...
Old Sep 15, 09, 8:28 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by psychtobe View Post
And we could have a new version of the song "A Boy Named Sue" ...

Search this Thread