Help for a newbie flyer

Old Sep 12, 09, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Smile Help for a newbie flyer

Hey all,

I've been lurking for a while, reading posts, familiarizing myself with the way of the flier. See, I'm a college student, flying independently for the first time, so I was looking to have a few n00bish questions answered if you have a minute. Sorry if the level of newbie-ness is so painful you must turn away.

Here's my itinerary, first off, starting tomorrow:
NW68 DTW-AMS
Airbus 330-300
Depart: McNamara terminal, 5:40PM
Arrive: 7:35AM

KL1145 AMS-OSL
Fokker 70
Depart: 12:35PM
Arrive:2:25PM

So, I checked in online and printed my stylish boarding pass.

1. I don't quite know the procedure for actually... flying hahaha. I assume that will be quite clear since it's a linear process. Anyway, what are some strategies for getting in quickly as possible without any complications? I last flew ten years ago, before all the shiv hit the fan.

2. Luggage! I don't understand the connecting flight system. So, since I'm flying an NW flight and then a KLM flight (codeshare?), but they were both purchased on the same ticket, will the airport push my baggage along, or do I have to retrieve it, and then check it in again for my KLM flight?

3. Word on the street is that AMS is quite a snazzy airport. What's the likelihood of me finding a wall outlet to plug my laptop in?

Thanks guys
Old Sep 12, 09, 7:11 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, anida97. We love "noobies" and there are no "painful" questions.
Just a quick tutorial: There are specific Airlines Forums (NW, being one). Normally, a question about a specific airline can be found in the airline-specific
forum. On FT, there are so many great options: You can go to the Travel & Dining Forums and find info on topics related to general interest in travel (TravelBuzz), info about dining (DiningBuzz) as well, as Special Interest Forums, which deal with GLBT, Women, Travel With Pets, Disability. Moreover, you will find Forums on FT re: U.S. travel, as well as Worldwide Travel (by country or geographic regions).
There are a myriad of options when perusing FT. You will learn to find forum(s) which pique your interest.
Looking forward, with pleasure to your contribution to FT and to those who help you in the NW Forum.
I am moving your post to the NW Forum for discussion,advice and information.
Once again, Welcome
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Sep 12, 09, 8:03 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by anida97 View Post
Hey all,

I've been lurking for a while, reading posts, familiarizing myself with the way of the flier. See, I'm a college student, flying independently for the first time, so I was looking to have a few n00bish questions answered if you have a minute. Sorry if the level of newbie-ness is so painful you must turn away.

Here's my itinerary, first off, starting tomorrow:
NW68 DTW-AMS
Airbus 330-300
Depart: McNamara terminal, 5:40PM
Arrive: 7:35AM

KL1145 AMS-OSL
Fokker 70
Depart: 12:35PM
Arrive:2:25PM

So, I checked in online and printed my stylish boarding pass.

1. I don't quite know the procedure for actually... flying hahaha. I assume that will be quite clear since it's a linear process. Anyway, what are some strategies for getting in quickly as possible without any complications? I last flew ten years ago, before all the shiv hit the fan.

2. Luggage! I don't understand the connecting flight system. So, since I'm flying an NW flight and then a KLM flight (codeshare?), but they were both purchased on the same ticket, will the airport push my baggage along, or do I have to retrieve it, and then check it in again for my KLM flight?

3. Word on the street is that AMS is quite a snazzy airport. What's the likelihood of me finding a wall outlet to plug my laptop in?

Thanks guys
Hi anida97, welcome to FT!

1. I sure hope you have a Passport to start off, and any applicable visa for Norway (not needed if a US citizen). You will need to arrive to the airport at least 2 hours in advance if you are flying coach class, to check in your luggage. You can look on the NWA.com website for specifics as to the luggage allowance for your class of travel. Expect a line at the checkin counter, as you can't check luggage for international travel at the curb with the Skycap. You will need to either swipe your passport at a kiosk or get in a line for a Ticket agent for your luggage tags. They will check them to your final destination.
Allow extra time for security screening, which will require you to remove your computer from its case, take off your shoes and any jacket/coat along with your carryon. Make sure you don't have anything metallic in your pockets and take off your belt if it has a big metal buckle and put it on the xray belt.
Be certain to not have any knives, or other sharp items or things that go boom in your carryon. You will also be limited to liquids, gels, creams (under 3.4 oz) within a 1 L ziplock baggie. After the TSA, you will go to your gate, board, and hopefully have a good flight to AMS.

2. AMS is a great airport and they have two sections, Schengen and non-Schengen. Yes, confusing, but Schengen basically refers to EU countries, and flying between Schengen is like flying domestic US. You will need to walk to the "Schengen" part of the airport (clearly marked with signs) to a security screening, then to the gate for your flight to OSL. You will do passport control in OSL, and customs there too. As you only have 5 hours in AMS (and are a self-declared noobie), I do not recommend going into AMS city, this time. The AMS airport is fabulous and you will have plenty of things to occupy your time. You might even find that fabled bathroom (I don't know where it is, but read about it here on FT yesterday or day before), and get a shower if you have your own soap and towel!

Have a good trip.
Old Sep 12, 09, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
Passport control will happen in Amsterdam, not Oslo as AMS-OSL is an intra-Schengen flight. The OP should likely not expect to actually see any passport agents in OSL. (Except on the return, where you will likely be asked to show your passport, but it will not be stamped until you exit Schengen in AMS.) Customs, of course, is still possible, but likely will just be a matter of following the "green" signs straight out, again likely without seeing a customs agent.

OP: When you land in AMS, look at the monitors to find the gate to your connecting flight. Follow the signs to that gate, you will be directed through passport control and security.
Old Sep 12, 09, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL Plat
3. There are Internet work areas at AMS with outlets at no charge. However, you will need to pay if you want Internet access, either on their pcs or your own laptop.
Old Sep 12, 09, 11:53 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

This Thread is a great example of veteran FT'rs coming together to help a new member.
Thanks to all who have contributed.
O2K
Old Sep 15, 09, 1:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Here is some additional advice:

When you arrive in AMS, don't waste too much time before going through passport control and security into the Schengen area (essentially you enter Europe at this stage) as the lines can be very long at prime times. Also, at this stage the 3-1-1 liquid restriction rules are enforced so don't buy any liquids before passport and security checks.

Don't assume that all duty free stores in AMS have the same prices and specials.

When you arrive in Norway, you may want to visit their duty free stores on entry if you think you might have the opportunity to meet the natives and be invited or want to share....Wine, alcohol, and tobacco are shockingly expensive in Norway, with few wine/alcohol stores and very limited selections. (Bergen has one wine store for the third-largest city in the country, a bit out of the way/hard to find unless you like to explore bus terminals, and every restaurant seems to have exactly the same limited wine list.) If you don't smoke, be sure to amuse yourself by checking out (in English) the strong warning labels--almost death threats! Either you'll be forced to walk through the duty free store between your arrival gate and luggage claim or you can just follow the crowds of locals who all stock up to the maximum permitted by law every time they enter their country (and take party cruises just out into international between trips abroad).

Don't even think about taking a taxi in from the airport--very expensive and public transportation works so well.

Search this Thread