400% fare increase on DTW-LGA Route ?

Old Sep 10, 09, 8:54 am
Original Poster

400% fare increase on DTW-LGA Route ?

I fly DTW - LGA every week (Tusday morning and come back Thursdat night).

3 week advance booking and the prices were allays under $200.

Today when I went to NWA.com to book for October all the fares are $721, even for NOV booking.

Am i smoking some thing or is this normal ?

Jay
Old Sep 10, 09, 9:40 am

Programs: DL - GM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, SPG - Plat, Omni - Black, Avis - First
Unfortunetely, you do not appear to be smoking anything - blame DL's fare rules.

I fly DTW-LGA weekly, typically M-Th, or Tu-Fri.

Looking at fares, when you stay for 3 or more night, the fare is consistently $289 r/t. However, when you book for 2 or fewer nights it goes up significantly to $650-$700 plus.

There lies your problem, the fare rules for the cheaper fares appears to have a number of days/night restriction.

This wasn't the case in the NW days, but with DL running the show, they appear to significantly be jacking up last minute, and short-stay business trip style fares. People have complained about similar issues on DTW-DCA.

Granted, I thought it was crazy to be able to get $150 r/t earlier this year on DTW-LGA, and I'm not going to complain at <$300. If it goes up more from there, then I'm going to start having issues.

Spirit and AA have both cut back on the number of flights on DTW-LGA as well.
Old Sep 10, 09, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Do they allow back to back ticketing these days or will that land me in trouble.

Few years back I used to same day LGA-YYZ and the fare was like 1200 but when you do a back to back it was 200, since AA and AC was flying I was able to play around

Jay

Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
Unfortunetely, you do not appear to be smoking anything - blame DL's fare rules.

I fly DTW-LGA weekly, typically M-Th, or Tu-Fri.

Looking at fares, when you stay for 3 or more night, the fare is consistently $289 r/t. However, when you book for 2 or fewer nights it goes up significantly to $650-$700 plus.

There lies your problem, the fare rules for the cheaper fares appears to have a number of days/night restriction.

This wasn't the case in the NW days, but with DL running the show, they appear to significantly be jacking up last minute, and short-stay business trip style fares. People have complained about similar issues on DTW-DCA.

Granted, I thought it was crazy to be able to get $150 r/t earlier this year on DTW-LGA, and I'm not going to complain at <$300. If it goes up more from there, then I'm going to start having issues.

Spirit and AA have both cut back on the number of flights on DTW-LGA as well.
Old Sep 10, 09, 9:55 am
Original Poster

If I do back to back then the fare with taxes is 179.

I can do it on NW and CO and that should not get me in trouble. The only part i hate now is flying into EWR
Old Sep 10, 09, 11:15 am

Programs: DL silver,Hilton Gold,Marriott,VA,Amex Plat,Hertz Gold
Thumbs down

They're doing it all over. FC DTW-LAS 1st week in Dec Mon-Thurs used to be about $800. It now is $2800+. Also booked FC DTW-SFO in 2 weeks at $2100+. Two days later price went down to $1299.
Old Sep 10, 09, 2:01 pm

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
I think the key word here is MERGER!!
Old Sep 10, 09, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Its either Spirit air or back to back booking for me.

If i ask the client to pay a $800 ticket they will tell me to stay home....... permanently.
Old Sep 10, 09, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Agreed... the price fluctuations are incredibly annoying. I fly weekly MEM<>DTW and last Monday I saw $700+ for 2 weeks out. On Tuesday, the same flight was $500. Thursday the flight was $425.
Old Sep 10, 09, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by jay23 View Post
Its either Spirit air or back to back booking for me.

If i ask the client to pay a $800 ticket they will tell me to stay home....... permanently.
Define back-to-back. Nothing's stopping you from buying a one-way ticket from DTW-LGA and then a bunch of Thurs-Tues LGA-DTW round trips. Do the OW (or even a round trip) on Spirit or American, if you're worried about violating back-to-back rules. A NW OW followed by RT tickets violates no fare rule, as long as you fly them. A throw-away RT on AA or Spirit followed by RTs on NW violates no NW fare rule.
Old Sep 10, 09, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by jay23 View Post
I fly DTW - LGA every week (Tusday morning and come back Thursdat night).

3 week advance booking and the prices were allays under $200.

Today when I went to NWA.com to book for October all the fares are $721, even for NOV booking.

Am i smoking some thing or is this normal ?

Jay

Southwest (although connecting) is as low as $64 each way from DTW - LGA. Even a last minute refundable fare is less than $600 RT AI.
Old Sep 10, 09, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
NW used to do this a lot on some routes...years ago I did weekly LGA-MEM for about a year. I could save $500 per week by doing a one time one-way to get into sync for Thursday LGA - MEM with a Monday morning return.
Old Sep 10, 09, 8:37 pm

Programs: TK *Gold; WN A-list; NEXUS; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
This fare is part of the NEW DELTA
Old Sep 11, 09, 3:55 am

Programs: SPG PLT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by longtime lurker View Post
Define back-to-back. Nothing's stopping you from buying a one-way ticket from DTW-LGA and then a bunch of Thurs-Tues LGA-DTW round trips. Do the OW (or even a round trip) on Spirit or American, if you're worried about violating back-to-back rules. A NW OW followed by RT tickets violates no fare rule, as long as you fly them. A throw-away RT on AA or Spirit followed by RTs on NW violates no NW fare rule.
I agree this is your best options. Many large consulting firms encourage their consultants to book tickets as longtime lurker suggests. As a side note, for the Monday-Thursday crowd, it makes the occasional weekend trip much easier.
Old Sep 11, 09, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by longtime lurker View Post
I fly Tuesday morning and fly back Thu night, every week. So plan on doing 2 set of tickets

1. Leave DTW on Tusday and get back on Thu but next week
2. Leave LGA on Thu and get back to LGA week after but on Tusday.

I can use CO and NW for this.

I like to use NW all the way but I am worried i may get into trouble.
Old Sep 11, 09, 10:40 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K, DL 1MM/Silver
I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed the change in DTW-LGA fares. I was shopping yesterday for a Sat-Mon trip in late October and the K fare was $289 round trip, at least $70 more than I expected.

Similar story for DTW-DCA. A Mon-Tues trip priced at $600+ almost 2 months out. I don't want to fly to BWI, which would be $139 all in.

Two trips that I won't take now that I would have had there been reasonable fares.

Search this Thread