Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

400% fare increase on DTW-LGA Route ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

400% fare increase on DTW-LGA Route ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by jay23
If I do back to back then the fare with taxes is 179.

I can do it on NW and CO and that should not get me in trouble. The only part i hate now is flying into EWR
Back-to-back fares are safest if you book them on a 3rd party site, e.g. Travelocity or Expedia. Then if you misconnect, the airline that delivered you late becomes responsible for getting you to your destination.

Originally Posted by Renard
This fare is part of the NEW DELTA
NW was every bit as greedy as DL. This is not DL per se. What can be so frustrating about DL's pricing practices is that one often is unable to do any long-term planning or purchasing at reasonable prices.

In our attempts to reach STL cheaply for about 1.5 years when NW was in total gouge mode (culminating in $560 fares) I did a lot of bookings thru Travelocity and also some back to back tickets on NW & UA thru ORD.

You can cut your expenses significantly if you're resourceful & persistent. There is no reason to reward DL/NW for gouging you.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Sep 11, 2009 at 11:37 am
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:25 am

3 Night Minimum Stay

The short story is that you need to have a minimum 3 night stay to get a discounted airfare into NYC (LGA, JFK & EWR) with these new fare rules. Anything less than that you get hit with H & M fares. It used to be that I'd do a single night and day trips to save on the hotel costs. Now I'll stay in a hotel by the airport to save on airfare and fly out the next morning.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 5:54 pm

I fly Tuesday morning and fly back Thu night, every week. So plan on doing 2 set of tickets

1. Leave DTW on Tusday and get back on Thu but next week
2. Leave LGA on Thu and get back to LGA week after but on Tusday.

I can use CO and NW for this.

I like to use NW all the way but I am worried i may get into trouble.
If you're trying to get NW miles, that will only work until CO leaves SkyTeam next month. You're likely much better off buying a OW DTW-LGA (even if it's a connection on Southwest or a non-stop on Spirit once, to keep costs down if necessary), and then Thurs-Tues LGA-DTW RTs on NW. A OW connection on SW (or possibly, US) can cost as little as $85.20. A OW on Spirit goes for as little as $94.

That's perfectly legal - and there's nothing NW can do about it as long as you fly every NW segment. Buy another OW when your NYC engagement ends to get back home.

Last edited by longtime lurker; Sep 11, 2009 at 6:01 pm
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:58 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Mosaic 3, ⓥ for the animals
I often fly this route and have also been surprised by the increases. What I don't understand is these flights do not appear to be particularly full - what gives?
Old Sep 12, 2009, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by idayvuelta
I often fly this route and have also been surprised by the increases. What I don't understand is these flights do not appear to be particularly full - what gives?
I just booked my self back to back on NW / CO. Total cost for 2 pair of tickets is less then $400 compared to around $1800 NW wanted. Since I got both metal's i am ok with flying either carrier for now.

Since NW stooped the 6 AM flight from DTW to LGA, the 7.20 AM is always sold out and in a over sold situation. Same goes to the Thursday night flight from LGA, its a zoo.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by idayvuelta
What I don't understand is these flights do not appear to be particularly full - what gives?
Welcome to Rev. Mgmt. @ Delta. They don't care. Quite possibly they don't understand either, but they are all about counting the beans.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just booked my self back to back on NW / CO. Total cost for 2 pair of tickets is less then $400 compared to around $1800 NW wanted. Since I got both metal's i am ok with flying either carrier for now.

Since NW stooped the 6 AM flight from DTW to LGA, the 7.20 AM is always sold out and in a over sold situation. Same goes to the Thursday night flight from LGA, its a zoo.
Congrats on adapting! Now you're only paying twice as much.

I know the feeling.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Congrats on adapting! Now you're only paying twice as much.

I know the feeling.
Oh and the hotel prices in NY all went up in September since its US Open and next week UN.

I was paying around $250 for W and now its $450. Time to go back to Fourpoints.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 11:45 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Mosaic 3, ⓥ for the animals
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Welcome to Rev. Mgmt. @ Delta. They don't care. Quite possibly they don't understand either, but they are all about counting the beans.
Well, I guess that's my question. Delta can try and get as many beans as they can - no quarrel there. If they're making more money with $300 fares to detroit than so be it... I just am anecdotally seeing emptier planes and higher fares... can't imagine that's more profitable.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They catch the suckers early on, then lower prices to fill the plane. If you want to fly Delta without being taken to the cleaners, you have to learn to be patient & want for the fares to drop. (& always have a backup strategy if you have to make the trip)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.