Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Air France LAX to PPT for NWA miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2009, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone flown Air France from LAX - PPT and earned NWA miles?

I can either pay an extra $58 per person for Air France tickets to fly red-eye to PPT, and daytime flight return to LAX, and earn 8190 per person, or fly Air Tahiti Nui daytime flight there, and red-eye flight return to LAX (with all Sunday to recover), and earn no miles, b/c the ticket is B class thru a travel agent, and doesn't earn AA miles. But people seem to like Air Tahiti Nui more?
Old Sep 9, 2009, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Speedy Rewards Beverage Club
Originally Posted by venicegal

I can either pay an extra $58 per person for Air France tickets to fly red-eye to PPT, and daytime flight return to LAX, and earn 8190 per person, or fly Air Tahiti Nui daytime flight there, and red-eye flight return to LAX (with all Sunday to recover), and earn no miles, b/c the ticket is B class thru a travel agent, and doesn't earn AA miles. But people seem to like Air Tahiti Nui more?
I've flown both (albeit earning DL miles on the inbound) and can say that I found the difference between the two on that route in Y to be negligible. For $58 a head, I'd do Air France (but get to the flight early!).
Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:30 pm

Programs: DL Platinum

AF's systems can handle WP numbers and do recognize elite status for preferential seating, etc. I flew this route last year on AF and got WP credit. There was such a paltry difference between the discounted economy and discounted Y fare that I bought the higher fare and reaped a lot more EQMs.

As for inflight experience, the world is that Air Tahiti Nui may have once been a lot nicer, but I've heard the service is perfunctory (as with AF) and the planes are not as well kept.

Unless you are ending your trip in PPT, I would strongly advise red-eye LAX-PPT to avoid the gloomy forced overnight in the city and twice as much time in the depressing third-world airport. Last year AF was arriving PPT at 2200 so there was no such option. I figured the layover would prove relaxing, but it just doubled the amount of in transit time, with little upside.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately, we either have to spend our last night in Tahiti, w/AF's early morning flight on Sunday, or our first night in Tahiti, w/ATN's afternoon flight to Tahiti on the way there on a Thursday, due to pricing and availability on the specific flights. And my husband is 6'6" so he hates red-eyes regardless.

Unfortunately, although I do have AA Gold status, I do not have any elite status with NWA, so I'm guessing it won't help for preferential seating on AF? Do they save their exit rows for elite members, can you reserve those in advance, or is it an option to try to get them upon check-in? Maybe they'll take pity on my husband?

The fare earns 100% miles, and the next fare up in economy is $$$ than biz class!
Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:41 am

Programs: AY-G, TK*S, AB-S, EY, LH, DL, UA, BA, AA, all hotel programmes
AF used to be very nice about offering exit seats to tall people (I was always lucky), but I haven't tried since they introduced the 50 EUR fee per international leg for preferred seating (waved only for elite plus). Well, you can still ask for it at the gate...
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Well, if we could reserve exit rows in advance, it might be worth the $$, as my husband is 6'6" (or more). I tried to research this and it isn't clear if it is for all int'l flights or just to Europe, and when I tried calling AF they had me on hold too long. Ugh.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:28 pm

Air Tahiti Nui will no longer accrue AA miles after 11/1, so I hope your trip is coming up soon. FYI, it's your "B" fare that doesn't qualify; it doesn't matter whether you purchased it through a travel agent or not. consolidator perhaps, but not travel agent.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Yes, that is the issue, it is B b/c I'm purchasing through at TA for TN, vs. at T fare on AF through AF. Yes, my trip is soon, although I'd only get 1/2 the miles on TN b/c I'm returning after 11/1, which I was aware of.

I think now the decision is coming down to exit row availability/options. I like the schedule better with TN, although AF would save me a vacation day.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 1:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Well, if we could reserve exit rows in advance, it might be worth the $$, as my husband is 6'6" (or more). I tried to research this and it isn't clear if it is for all int'l flights or just to Europe, and when I tried calling AF they had me on hold too long. Ugh.
I've emailed AF before for preferential seating assignments with good success. I can never seem to get anyone on the phone so thats been my only experience!
Old Sep 10, 2009, 2:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
I flew LAX-PPT roundtrip on Air Tahiti Nui. Nothing terrible but nothing special. Packed flights both directions. Personally, I'd pay the extra $58 to get miles and save the vacation day.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 3:59 am

Programs: SPG PLT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by app47
and twice as much time in the depressing third-world airport.
For a moment, I thought you were referring to LAX
Old Sep 11, 2009, 8:40 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by FlyTheFriendlyMonkey
For a moment, I thought you were referring to LAX
They weren't?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.