FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   WP account cutover (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/993170-wp-account-cutover.html)

florin Sep 9, 2009 1:22 am

WP account cutover

We all know that at some point in the near future our WP accounts will be replaced by SM accounts. I'm sure the people at NW/DL have thought of all this, but I'm a bit concerned about an upcoming reservation and the miles/benefits, so I have a bunch of questions.

- What happens to existing DL/NW reservations? Do those that have a WP number attached get updated with the SM number?
- What happens to existing reservations on other SkyTeam airlines? I have a KL itin booked for October (outbound on 10/8 and 10/9, return on 10/18 and 10/19)... what if my WP account 'disappears' in the middle of this?
- What about people with a WP account who are on the road when the switch happens? E.g. will Plats be able to access SkyTeam lounges, given that their WP account is no longer valid?
- What if miles don't post for a reservation that has a WP account number, and by the time we send our BPs asking for credit the WP account is replaced? Will they know to post to the SM account instead?
- What happens in case of irrops, when a ticket needs to be rebooked? Does a WP elite loose benefits because the number is no longer recognized? (This is more of a concern on partner airlines.)
- What about award reservations paid with WP miles? What happens to those when the account is no longer valid, especially on partner airlines? What happens in case of irrops when the ticket needs to be rebooked? Can those miles be redeposited? Can the tickets be changed?

"Informed" opinions would be great;), but feel free to speculate and/or add your own questions. Thanks, all!

hnewman Sep 9, 2009 6:45 am

Originally Posted by florin (Post 12352124)
"Informed" opinions would be great

Great questions. ^

It would be nice if we got some facts from DL rather than opinions though. :D

humanoid94 Sep 9, 2009 6:52 am

I share many of your concerns. In my own case, I will make Platinum with flights on 9/28, meaning in the normal course of events the miles will post on 9/30 with a status change from Gold to Plat effective on 10/1. I am not very optomistic about this one...

Fortuantely my next flight after 9/28 isn't until 10/16, so maybe... just maybe they will get some of this figured out by then.

stpaulone Sep 9, 2009 7:58 am

Originally Posted by florin (Post 12352124)
We all know that at some point in the near future our WP accounts will be replaced by SM accounts. I'm sure the people at NW/DL have thought of all this, but I'm a bit concerned about an upcoming reservation and the miles/benefits, so I have a bunch of questions.

- What happens to existing DL/NW reservations? Do those that have a WP number attached get updated with the SM number?
- What happens to existing reservations on other SkyTeam airlines? I have a KL itin booked for October (outbound on 10/8 and 10/9, return on 10/18 and 10/19)... what if my WP account 'disappears' in the middle of this?
- What about people with a WP account who are on the road when the switch happens? E.g. will Plats be able to access SkyTeam lounges, given that their WP account is no longer valid?
- What if miles don't post for a reservation that has a WP account number, and by the time we send our BPs asking for credit the WP account is replaced? Will they know to post to the SM account instead?
- What happens in case of irrops, when a ticket needs to be rebooked? Does a WP elite loose benefits because the number is no longer recognized? (This is more of a concern on partner airlines.)
- What about award reservations paid with WP miles? What happens to those when the account is no longer valid, especially on partner airlines? What happens in case of irrops when the ticket needs to be rebooked? Can those miles be redeposited? Can the tickets be changed?

"Informed" opinions would be great;), but feel free to speculate and/or add your own questions. Thanks, all!

START HERE - I think some of your questions have already been answered.

doglover Sep 9, 2009 8:04 am

Originally Posted by stpaulone (Post 12353171)
START HERE - I think some of your questions have already been answered.

I would say no not really. Let's look at this FAQ on bookings.... the answer is for some other question:

What will happen to my bookings if I continue to use my WorldPerks number now?

All WorldPerks members will be provided with either a new SkyMiles number, or for those who already linked accounts, an existing SkyMiles number. WorldPerks status, mileage balance and account information will be transferred into the member’s SkyMiles account.

fromYXU Sep 9, 2009 8:10 am

Originally Posted by doglover (Post 12353195)
I would say no not really. Let's look at this FAQ on bookings.... the answer is for some other question:

What will happen to my bookings if I continue to use my WorldPerks number now?

All WorldPerks members will be provided with either a new SkyMiles number, or for those who already linked accounts, an existing SkyMiles number. WorldPerks status, mileage balance and account information will be transferred into the member’s SkyMiles account.

I plan to use my WP number until the last minute. Once the switch happens my status should also be switched over. I suspect that for most of us it should be routine. If not, I plan to call right away.

Keep an eye on your account. Keep on hand a recent screen capture of your account page just in case.

Quirks will happen.

florin Sep 9, 2009 8:16 am

I read the FAQ; it doesn't answer any of the questions in the original post.

Janus Sep 9, 2009 8:21 am

I would "think" the only reasonable option would be if (for at least a few months) the WP system would stay 100% online, and then a nightly job would dump all the changes over to the SM system.

Then again, this is Delta, so the more likely solution will be faxing boarding passes to SMS to get miles credit...