FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   Final integration into Skymiles (and why some got the 5K bonus miles) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/992915-final-integration-into-skymiles-why-some-got-5k-bonus-miles.html)

Stripe Sep 8, 2009 11:10 am

Final integration into Skymiles (and why some got the 5K bonus miles)

Although touched on in a couple other threads, I'll take the liberty of starting a new one since some of this seems like new info.

From an email received today:

In October, the WorldPerks program will officially merge into the SkyMiles program. At this time, we will begin merging your existing WorldPerks account information into your linked SkyMiles account, including your redeemable, Elite qualifying and lifetime mileage balances. This mileage deposit into your SkyMiles account will be considered activity, which extends your 24-month mileage expiration date. Moving forward, as long as you have any qualifying earning or redemption activity in the account at least once every 24 months, your miles will never expire.

If your Medallion®* status changes when your Elite Qualifying Miles and Segments are combined, your status will be immediately upgraded, and you will receive new SkyMiles credentials to reflect the higher Medallion status.

Given the significant challenges in integrating two programs on very different technology platforms, members may experience a few inconsistencies in the merged program during the next six months. Please visit delta.com/what2expect for more information and for ongoing updates around program integration.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause; however, we worked hard to strike a balance between what was important to you, and thus critical to offer at loyalty program integration, and what few features would need to be turned off or modified until the overall airline merger is completed. In appreciation for your understanding and patience as we begin the final stages of our consolidation effort, please enjoy 5,000 Bonus Miles that have already been deposited in your WorldPerks account.

Delta.com provides the details on the "inconsistencies":
  • Upgrades on award tickets suspended until "Spring 2010".
  • No more confirmed companion upgrades for Plats.
  • "The policies pertaining to Award Ticket ticketing time limit and the processing of mileage and Systemwide Upgrades will be based on the airline system that is issuing the ticket." (What does that mean?)
  • Upgrades on AS suspended until sometime in 2010.

The 5K bonus seems a pretty paltry compensation, especially for Plats. And many questions are left. Here are a few that come to mind right off the bat:
  • What happens to upgrades on CO? We know that CO does not sync up with the NW system in real time. Will CO continue to recognize the NW elite status on reservations booked prior to this transition for flights after the transition?
  • What happens to reservations on partner airlines? Do we need to manually update the FF # on those reservations? What if we don't?
  • Can we assume the FF # on NW reservations gets updated automatically? Will EUAs right around the transition period be affected?

Audie Sep 8, 2009 11:39 am

Is it too late to merge the miles? I know I let the summer slide by and did not tend to business. I have the skymiles account but did not do the merge. Do I have any options at this time?

raehl311 Sep 8, 2009 11:42 am

I would expect NW elites will no longer receive upgrades on CO as of Oct 24 regardless of systems change.

raehl311 Sep 8, 2009 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Audie (Post 12348372)
Is it too late to merge the miles? I know I let the summer slide by and did not tend to business. I have the skymiles account but did not do the merge. Do I have any options at this time?

Negative. Your miles are stuck where they are until they auto-merge in October.

timf Sep 8, 2009 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Audie (Post 12348372)

If you mean you didn't link your WorldPerks account to your SkyMiles account, then your WorldPerks miles will be merged into a new SkyMiles account. You will then have the option of merging your two SkyMiles accounts into a single account (I assume you can pick which of the numbers you like better).

halliegrandpa Sep 8, 2009 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Stripe (Post 12348184)
Although touched on in a couple other threads, I'll take the liberty of starting a new one since some of this seems like new info.

From an email received today:

Delta.com provides the details on the "inconsistencies":
  • Upgrades on award tickets suspended until "Spring 2010".
  • No more confirmed companion upgrades for Plats.
  • "The policies pertaining to Award Ticket ticketing time limit and the processing of mileage and Systemwide Upgrades will be based on the airline system that is issuing the ticket." (What does that mean?)
  • Upgrades on AS suspended until sometime in 2010.

The 5K bonus seems a pretty paltry compensation, especially for Plats. And many questions are left. Here are a few that come to mind right off the bat:
  • What happens to upgrades on CO? We know that CO does not sync up with the NW system in real time. Will CO continue to recognize the NW elite status on reservations booked prior to this transition for flights after the transition?
  • What happens to reservations on partner airlines? Do we need to manually update the FF # on those reservations? What if we don't?
  • Can we assume the FF # on NW reservations gets updated automatically? Will EUAs right around the transition period be affected?

I guess the 5,000 miles only applicable to NW Plat because I did not get any!

Cellisttoo Sep 8, 2009 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by halliegrandpa (Post 12348676)
I guess the 5,000 miles only applicable to NW Plat because I did not get any!

Toddler Cellisttoo, a gold, did receive the "Thank You" bonus.

DTWflyer Sep 8, 2009 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Stripe (Post 12348184)
[*]Can we assume the FF # on NW reservations gets updated automatically? Will EUAs right around the transition period be affected?[/LIST]

This is going to be interesting as I already have a few reservations out there for Nov/Dec. with my NW FF# in the PNR. Am I going to have to go in there and swap out with my DL FF# after the auto-merge?

What about flights the day after the auto-merge? I'm sure I will be flying within a day or two after the auto-merge. I wonder how EUA will work with the then-defunct NW Elite status and FF number?

Also from delta.com:
"Unlimited complimentary upgrades will be available for traveling companions of all Elite members and will be eligible to clear 12 hours prior to departure "
What does this mean?

lseflyer Sep 8, 2009 1:15 pm

Translation:

It's going to be worse then even we expected, but here's some candy to distract you while our service drops off a cliff during the transition.

n7371f Sep 8, 2009 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by DTWflyer (Post 12348877)
This is going to be interesting as I already have a few reservations out there for Nov/Dec. with my NW FF# in the PNR. Am I going to have to go in there and swap out with my DL FF# after the auto-merge?

What about flights the day after the auto-merge? I'm sure I will be flying within a day or two after the auto-merge. I wonder how EUA will work with the then-defunct NW Elite status and FF number?

Also from delta.com:
"Unlimited complimentary upgrades will be available for traveling companions of all Elite members and will be eligible to clear 12 hours prior to departure "
What does this mean?

What it means is=No more Platinum Upgrades for travel companions.

n7371f Sep 8, 2009 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by raehl311 (Post 12348390)
I would expect NW elites will no longer receive upgrades on CO as of Oct 24 regardless of systems change.

That was going to happen whether WorldPerks was merged in October or not. Continental's last day in Sky is Oct 24. After that we're just another passenger on CO.

Blank Sheet Sep 8, 2009 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Audie

See this link.

"If you forgot to link before the deadline, check back in October. We'll have an online tool available for you to submit a merge request once all WorldPerks accounts have been transferred into SkyMiles."

As mentioned, I didn't link accounts just to see what my new number will be. All I care about in my DL account are the lifetime miles. It's been empty for over 7 years.

wrkn4alivn Sep 8, 2009 4:27 pm

Noob question

I set foot on my first NW flight in April of this year, due to my co. travel office changing our preferred airline alliance. Since then I've been crediting all my SkyTeam flights to my NW account. Being a very infrequent visitor to this forum, I was happily plugging along thinking that I would need 75K EQMs before the end of the year to reach PE status.

I guess that's not true? When that secret day in October arrives, the SkyMiles qualifying tiers take affect, right? I have trips booked through the end of Sep. that get me to about 74.6K EQMs. Should I be looking for a quick MR to push me over the top before that magical day in Oct.?

aaronhurd Sep 8, 2009 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by wrkn4alivn (Post 12349970)
Should I be looking for a quick MR to push me over the top before that magical day in Oct.?

I am about 500 EQM away from making PE, so I will, if only so that I can get the Northwest credentials before they go away.

skofarrell Sep 8, 2009 4:41 pm

Interesting. My wife is a silver with 43K EQMs to date, mix of NW and DL hardware, most all in premium fare land, got no bonus.